1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coolant flush on a 2.7

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SpeedoJosh, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Feb 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Searched and found multiple threads about the 3.4, but nothing on the 2.7. Mainly the engine drain plug. I can't find that thing to save my life.

Do I need to drain from the block, or can I just drain from petcock on radiator, then add prestone flush and water, run with heater on, then drain. Refill with water, run with heater on, then drain again. Then fill with 50/50 mix?

Local auto store does the whole system flush with machine for $100, 2 gallons of coolant and two bottles of distilled water is $30, so it's cheaper to do it myself, but is the machine worth it, or just easier?

2. Feb 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    PurpleT

PurpleT Pragmatic Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma ExtCab 4X4 SR5 2.7L
    I believe the engine drain plug for the 2.7 is on the passenger side of the engine up near the front. You can gain access through the wheel well with multiple extensions. Might be a 14 mm. I just did a flush and fill on the wife's truck over the holidays. I am pretty sure I found a link here on TW with a picture because I could not locate the drain plug either.

3. Feb 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM
    geoff06

geoff06 261k and counting

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '01 PreRunner Xcab lifted
    3" lift, Bilstein 5100/OME coilovers, rear AAL, Swiss camper shell, Rough Country 9000 rear shocks, 265/75/16 AT's on stock steel rims painted black, All-Pro 1.5"F/1.25"R wheel spacers, airbox elbow mod, Flowmaster Super 44, Davico post-cat, I took off my DIY angle iron bed/light bar!, bed wheel well shovel-mount, blacked out grill emblem, Poineer DEH-P3900 head unit, Alpine Type R front component speakers, Pioneer Coaxial rears, Dynamat in door panels, scratchbuilt aluminum holders for my ipod nano and phone, and for some reason, I painted the headlight fillers black...
    Yeah, the engine drain plug should be on the passenger side near the front. I haven't flushed the whole system in a while so I don't remember the exact size but 14mm sounds about right. I also seem to remember that squeezing the "cold" radiator hose when draining the coolant can help remove the last bit of fluid. Hope this helps

Products Discussed in

To Top