1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on buying 2003-04 4X4?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ColoradoWoman, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Feb 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    ColoradoWoman

ColoradoWoman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi,
    New member here and a little intimidated, being a single woman and an older one at that! But this looks like a good forum to get some guidance from. I'd like to get a 4X4 to take to the mountains for x country skiing and camping --want to get a topper so i can throw a sleeping bag in the bed if it is raining. I'm considering an 03-04 model to avoid the rust problems on the 99-02 models. I will need the xcab for a occasional grandchild.

Any guidance in terms of engine size, fuel economy, auto vs manual? Or anything else to watch for? I'm also wondering if an 03-04 would pull a lightweight A-liner hard side pop up or even a small Chalet trailer? If so, would it be critical to buy one with a factory tow package?

Finally, am i correct in assuming that I'll get better fuel economy on a first generation rather than 2nd generation truck due to size and weight?

Thanks for any guidance you guys can give me!
    Hazel

2. Feb 7, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    welcome. any inline 4 will get better gas mileage than the v6.auto is way better than stick (imo)just because im lazy..lol it should tow what you need.i had an 02 4 cyl with auto and towed some heavy trailers(maybe to heavy) with no porblems. factory or after market tow hitch will be fine. make sure its rated for the truck and what you are towing. good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top