Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Advice on buying 2003-04 4X4?

Old 02-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
ColoradoWoman is on a distinguished road
ColoradoWoman's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on buying 2003-04 4X4?

Hi,
New member here and a little intimidated, being a single woman and an older one at that! But this looks like a good forum to get some guidance from. I'd like to get a 4X4 to take to the mountains for x country skiing and camping --want to get a topper so i can throw a sleeping bag in the bed if it is raining. I'm considering an 03-04 model to avoid the rust problems on the 99-02 models. I will need the xcab for a occasional grandchild.

Any guidance in terms of engine size, fuel economy, auto vs manual? Or anything else to watch for? I'm also wondering if an 03-04 would pull a lightweight A-liner hard side pop up or even a small Chalet trailer? If so, would it be critical to buy one with a factory tow package?

Finally, am i correct in assuming that I'll get better fuel economy on a first generation rather than 2nd generation truck due to size and weight?

Thanks for any guidance you guys can give me!
Hazel
Old 02-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
welcome. any inline 4 will get better gas mileage than the v6.auto is way better than stick (imo)just because im lazy..lol it should tow what you need.i had an 02 4 cyl with auto and towed some heavy trailers(maybe to heavy) with no porblems. factory or after market tow hitch will be fine. make sure its rated for the truck and what you are towing. good luck