1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm stuck...welder or suspension?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CliffordBRD, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Feb 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    CliffordBRD

CliffordBRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    So I've been saving for a nice welder so I can get back into it, but I've also been debating suspension. I was looking into the 3" lift department, like everyone else, but I want to keep my options open in case I want to upgrade that to something mid travel. The mid travel kits are roughly 2200~ which is double what the welder is, a Miller 211. If I were to get the welder and start playing around with bumpers and sliders, it would drag my suspension even more than what it already is which is what I'm worried about.

What do you think I should do? Keep saving for a nice mid travel kit? Start with some kit that I can expand on to mid travel later? Or just get a welder and start saving again while making my frowning leafs get even sadder.

2. Feb 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    mgrace

mgrace Active Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 do everything truck
    2.5 inch lift, K&N, BFG AT, dents
    I like Miller too, and I have one, but in fact a good Hobart 140 will do anything that most non-pro fabricators need. only about $499. Then you are closer on your suspension too.

Mike

3. Feb 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    bmpskir

bmpskir Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dover, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport DCLB 4.0 auto
    ^^ I would do that and am doing it myself... I need to learn to weld so I can do the bodywork on my other build... you will have a welder for a long time to help with a bunch of stuff... you can always save up more money for the lift or buy one from someone on here used that is going a different route...

4. Feb 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    toys4ever

toys4ever Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 4-banger stick
    Get the cheaper welder and settle for a less expensive lift, some 2.5-3" lifts are well under $500 as well. Everyone is happy then.

5. Feb 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
    FWIW, You don't just walk outside and start fabbing up bumpers and sliders, there's alot of trial and error in it. I've tried/failed my fair share of times. You also need more than just a welder to fab stuff too. Not saying you don't have the skill... just saying there's more to it than buying a welder. Just my $0.02

Products Discussed in

To Top