Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Monroe Strut units

Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
AZarchitect is on a distinguished road

AZarchitect's Tacoma Gallery
Monroe Strut units

Has anyone tried out or heard about the Monroe 171352 replacement all-in-one strut unit? I ordered them for my 1st gen to save a little money. $190 total.

Wondering if they are going to be a stiffer/bumpier ride than the bilstein/emu setup?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Devout is on a distinguished road

Devout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZarchitect View Post
Has anyone tried out or heard about the Monroe 171352 replacement all-in-one strut unit? I ordered them for my 1st gen to save a little money. $190 total.

Wondering if they are going to be a stiffer/bumpier ride than the bilstein/emu setup?

Should I cancel this order?

I;m betting softer and aslo won't last as long. Quality costs.

Try not to confuse firm with smooth. Quality is firm and smooth. Cheap is soft and rough. Might seem like a paradox, but quality dampers do both.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Taco Verde
TawcoTime is on a distinguished road
TawcoTime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Has anyone tried out or heard about the Monroe 171352 replacement all-in-one strut unit?
LOL... just had a set of these installed today (along with rotors, brake pads, center carrier bearing and alignment), but I don't have an opinion yet, since I drove straight home after the install - about 3 miles. They seem firmer, but the old Bilsteins had a 154K on them and were leaking.

Not too worried about how long they'll hold up, since I only drive the truck about 3000 easy miles a year and will probably sell the truck in another year or two.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
ethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: 314MXG
Name: ethan
ethanfoy's Tacoma Gallery
i have them on mine i havnt noticed any difference really but thats just me.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #5

Thanks all for the replies. @Devout, that is kinda what I gathered from sifting through the forum, and yes I was completely confused. I've never had anything really nice like fox or king or what have you, so I guess I won't notice the difference.

@TawcoTime I should have mine delivered by Thursday next week and then installed by weekend. I will offer my opinion. I'm betting that I will notice a significant difference from what is on there. My ride has 157k on it and I can see/hear that the coils are toast. The original shocks aren't even on the truck anymore. Like you, I drive occasionally, maybe 3k a year also.

Oh, by the way, I have Gabriels on the back, just looked yesterday. Nice shocks too, they ride nice! G63494 Ultra Truck Shock w/ G force technology.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #6

Devout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks all for the replies. @Devout, that is kinda what I gathered from sifting through the forum, and yes I was completely confused. I've never had anything really nice like fox or king or what have you, so I guess I won't notice the difference.

Oh, by the way, I have Gabriels on the back, just looked yesterday. Nice shocks too, they ride nice! G63494 Ultra Truck Shock w/ G force technology.

My '93 came with Gabriels on it. They seemed to work fine right up to the point one of the eyes broke off of the left rear.

The cheepo Monroes I put on my Bronco faded after 18 months.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout View Post
My '93 came with Gabriels on it. They seemed to work fine right up to the point one of the eyes broke off of the left rear.

The cheepo Monroes I put on my Bronco faded after 18 months.
Hmm that sucks. I will upgrade next year maybe.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

Update: So a friend and I installed the new coil overs yesterday. Piece of cake by the way. I think it only took about 45 minutes total.

My opinion is that the Monroe QuikStrut unit is a little soft. By soft I mean, really soft. That can be a good thing if I wanted a softer ride. I was really hoping to stiffen the front end up a lot but this wasn't the solution. Anyone know what would be best to really make the suspension tighter/harder?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #9

Devout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm that sucks. I will upgrade next year maybe.

Don't despair; These could have been cheepo's made for a LARGE parts company as a special. YMMV.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was really hoping to stiffen the front end up a lot but this wasn't the solution. Anyone know what would be best to really make the suspension tighter/harder?

5100 Bilsteins both front and back. I went from the yellow TDR Bilsteins to the 5100. Not even close, and will never put anything else on my Taco.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I don't understand why you ask opinions of what this setup will give you AFTER you order it.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster View Post
I don't understand why you ask opinions of what this setup will give you AFTER you order it.
Good point. Won't be doing that again,,,lesson learned!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
5100 Bilsteins both front and back. I went from the yellow TDR Bilsteins to the 5100. Not even close, and will never put anything else on my Taco.
That's interesting. For some reason I was under the impression that 5100's and 4600's were same except 5100 is height adjustable? Hmm, I guess I need to read more...

I put the 4600 on my struck yesterday. They are a lot better than the moroes but I guess that goes w/o saying. It's like comparing apple to oranges, two totally different products/outcomes.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
@ THE Driver - Are 5100 shocks firmer than 4600 shocks?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
^ I have NO IDEA, as I've never even seen 4600's. I used 5100's on my Jeeps, was quite happy with them, and saw that there are countless Taco owners that were happy with them also.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Are you running the stock coils with the 5100's?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Are you running the stock coils with the 5100's?
IIRC, they came with their own. They were installed in Dec 2011, my memory is fuzzy about the details, primarily because I installed the rear shocks as a friend of mine was installing the front struts.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
BlackSand is on a distinguished road
Army: Reserve
Name: Mike
BlackSand's Tacoma Gallery
I was told by a parts guy today that 5100's are not available for first gen tacos. Only 05 and newer. A quick Internet search turned up only the 4600's.
my bad .... Found em, but a shady site. Anyone got a link for them at a reputable company?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
wheelers off road or downsouth motor sports carry 5100s
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #20

Devout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's interesting. For some reason I was under the impression that 5100's and 4600's were same except 5100 is height adjustable? Hmm, I guess I need to read more...

I put the 4600 on my struck yesterday. They are a lot better than the moroes but I guess that goes w/o saying. It's like comparing apple to oranges, two totally different products/outcomes.

The TRD Billies are not even close to 46mm like the Bilstein 4600's

The 5100's are digresively valved, unlike the 4600's

Either would make me happy, but in my case, the more zoot 5100's actually cost me less.