1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

frame rust buy back

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jeremy175, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Oct 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    oldguy128

oldguy128 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    GARY
    Southbury CT
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma
  2. Oct 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    dogmeat

dogmeat Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    I have a 98 that has a perforated frame from rust.

I had it inspected in 2008 shortly after the letters went out and they told me it was only surface rust.

I feel like smashing my head through a wall for not paying more attention to it since then. I pretty much forgot about it until this weekend.

I took it into a muffler shop this weekend to get an 02 sensor and muffler replaced. The guy called me out and showed me a few spots like this:

[​IMG]

and said he doesn't think it's safe to drive.

I dug up my files on this and notice that the 15 year extension is from the in-service date. I'm a couple of months past that for mine now. :(:(:( If only I'd noticed this a few months ago.

I wish I'd been taking it to this particular muffler shop for earlier repairs. I had in to a different place a couple of times in the past year and they didn't say a word.

I called toyota to see if they'd throw me a bone on missing the deadline. A case manager is going to call me on Monday. Anyone know how they are about this, whether I have a chance of getting an exception?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. Oct 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    NH03Tacoma

NH03Tacoma 1st Gen Tacoma Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Berlin, NH
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Access Cab 3.4L Manual
    Toytec ULK W/TC UCA's. Wheels & tires coming soon!
    Well, this likely won't help you... but my service advisor stated that the warranty gets extended from the date Toyota did any undercoating. So essentially, even if I was past my "in-service date" the frame replacement warranty in my particular case would start from the undercoating application date.

The waters are very murky with all of these variations of who said what and all these different stories online etc... so, honestly I believe it really boils down to whose ear you can bend. All it takes is a lot of try and try again...

4. Oct 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    My 1995 Tacoma has holes through the frame..:( haha

5. Oct 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    3RZ Taco

3RZ Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 3RZ Stock
    K&N air filter, Toolbox, Window Deflectors, Bug Deflector, BFGoodrich A/T's
    my 1996 has a good frame, but im thinking about pulling the bed and cleaning up some spot though

6. Oct 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    So this is unverified, but there's a guy in Chicago that claims he is buying 1999-00 Tacos with bad frames and turning them into Toyota for 150% still. From what I was told, if you buy a truck with a bad frame now, you only get paid what you paid for the truck. How big of a scammer is this dude or is he just dumb and it doesn't work like he claims? Either way, I hope no one sells him any more trucks.

7. Oct 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    TawcoTime

TawcoTime Taco Verde

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '01 XtraCab TRD, Manual 3.4
    Man for your sake I hope they do, but there has to be an end date for this stuff. Otherwise CelsisTaco will be calling them up next looking for an exception.

8. Oct 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    dogmeat

dogmeat Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma

I agree. I figure it's worth a shot at least but won't be surprised if they say no since doing so would be within the letter of what they offered to do.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  9. Oct 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    IMO your service adviser is giving you some bad info regarding the warranty extension. If it was truly 15 yrs after the undercoating application date then my truck would be covered until 2026!! I find it very hard to believe that Toyota would warranty a frame for 25+ years.. :rolleyes:

But you're right the waters are quite murky..

It's def worth a call to Toyota Corporate, give them your sob story, and see what becomes of it! GL :) but don't be all butt hurt like some folks when they tell you you're sol..

10. Oct 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    oldguy128

oldguy128 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    GARY
    Southbury CT
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma
    I wonder if the auto insurance industry, is dumb as i was to this, perhaps they have more power to put pressure on TOYOTA TO FIX OUR ISSUES, DO THEY THINK AFTER 15 YEARS IT JUST HEALS ITSELF UP

Toyota, has created a safety issue, where is that Japanese honor, they should run a sword into themselves, or they can drive one of there own rust buckets

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  11. Oct 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    It's a 20 year old truck! Holy fuck! Don't you think after that period of time you are lucky to still be driving it daily? It's about time it needs some serious repair like welding some frame plates on. It isn't Toyota's responsibility anymore. They gave 15 more years than they needed to. Chevys and fords are sitting in a scrap pile for the same issue and those owners got nothing. Every frame will rust, it's the owners responsibility to inhibit it.

12. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    Well I called Toyota Customer Service, my 2004 is under the frame rust warranty and I got a case number. Super nice people on the phone. Should be getting a call today or tomorrow so they can tell me my next steps.

Kind of want to call back the service manager and tell him he has no clue, but not going there. He said the warranty expired for my 2004, and they never replaced Tacoma frames, just the Tundras.

13. Oct 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    dogmeat

dogmeat Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    Just talked to the toyota guy. He's sorry I missed it but they're sticking with a firm cutoff on this. He told me a story about a customer who missed the deadline by two days that he had to turn down.

14. Oct 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Pretty sure the truck has to be registered by the same owner for like a year before they even buy it back because of all the people that went out and bought shit junk trucks to get $$ for buyback when the recall first came out..

And i agree with people that think there is a certain cutoff line for this stuff. I just got a new frame on my 02, i had it undercoated and inspected until it failed. Its an 11 year old truck, The frame and shit was worth about 13k. Thats more then the kbb. Toyota has been MORE than generous and reasonable about this frame recall. And they say every truck owner they could reach received about 3 to 5 notices for inspection. And if it wasn't undercoated or bought back in time its not their fault.

15. Oct 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    He said one time he flew to Ohio, bought the truck, then dropped it off at the dealer for the buyback before he went back home. There's no way...

16. Oct 29, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    that's a negative Ghost Rider.. I owned my '97 for only 7 months before Toyota did the buyback. That was in 2011 though so possibly that policy has changed.. idk

I actually believe it. its like what happened w/ "Cash for Clunkers" some people made out like bandits w/ that deal!

17. Oct 29, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    HerkyBird

HerkyBird Member

Member:
    Not correct

You need to keep in mind:
    95.5 - 2000 Tacomas were 'buybacks' = Apples
    2001 - 2004 Tacomas were 'frame replacements' = Oranges
    All were 1st gen trucks, but completely different policies and procedures.

It can and does happen.
    Last example like that I personally observed was about 6 months ago.
    Purchased in one state, inspected & failed at the dealer in another state. A check in his pocket for more than double what he paid for it.
    Total time elapsed: about 4 to 5 weeks

18. Oct 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    Icepuck72

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    OK, so Toyota Customer Service said tough luck. The original owner did not get the frame sprayed and that was over in 2011.

Going forward, what should I do? There's no holes in it now, but there is rust in the rear where the trailer hitch would go.....I want to keep this truck for a long time...want to do my part to make sure that happens.

Would body shops do something like this?? scraping off rust, maybe reinforcing it with steel?

Need some input.

19. Oct 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I would just do the work yourself, although be warned it will take days to get it done right. I'm in the process at the moment, and I'm working on my truck for three weeks now. (1- 2 hours after work, and more on the weekends.) Will be painting tomorrow with Rust Bullet and I'm planning to coat the frame with Fluid Film after. Sound like yours is not terrible and can be saved still. If everything goes well, I should be done this weekend and will take some pictures of the process.

20. Oct 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    Icepuck72

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    Not sure I'm good at body work type stuff. Not that I wouldn't want to try, but I want to make sure it's done right.

Products Discussed in

To Top