1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

frame rust buy back

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jeremy175, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Aug 25, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    I sold my '99 back under the warranty program this spring and got way more than it was worth. In my experience, all that mattered was whether I was in the 15 year warranty or not. I never got the corrosion protection done and they never asked me about it. I found out less than a few weeks before my warranty expired and got it in just in time. Take it to a toyota dealer and get it inspected, even if they do charge you a bit (they shouldn't) it's worth it for the shot to get that frame replacement / byback.

2. Sep 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    Marcpipes

Marcpipes New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Wyandotte, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 Xtra Cab
    Same old story. Never got notification from Toyota or the dealership(who's not even a Toyota dealer, anymore). I've only recently been informed of the frame rust problem by my mechanic. It's pretty much toast without a chassis replacement. I found this group tonight and hope to find help here. Some people in this thread are saying they got buybacks as late as 2014. What hoops do I have to jump through to get compensation?

3. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now
    Your 2002 is still within the 15 warranty period, and would be covered provided the warranty requirements have been met. Mainly, the undercoating. You need to check with your local Toyota dealer to validate the coverage. If covered, the frame would be eligible for replacement, not the vehicle repurchase. Repurchase was for '95-2000 model years only.

I had a '97 and a '00 repurchased, and the frame replaced on a '01 My '03 just passed the rust inspection, and is under warranty until 2018.

4. Sep 4, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    Take it in to a dealer and get it inspected, it won't cost anything. I've seen a lot of people say they had to get an undercoating to be eligible for the warranty but I never did that on my 99 and they bought it back no questions asked.

5. Oct 22, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    Glfranks

Glfranks New Member

Member:
    Southwest Ohio
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5
    Had my truck looked at back in 08 and it passed inspection. Was doing some work on it last week and noticed significant frame rust through. Took it it today and they determined it was not roadworthy. left with a free car and was told I should be contacted within 2 weeks by Toyota with a buyback. Truck was 6 weeks shy of being out of warranty. Took it to Performance Toyota (greater Cincinnati) and they were great about it. Will let post buyback amount when I hear from the rep. Only had 107,000 miles on it so I should come out alright. I'd say if anyone out there has a truck nearing the end of the warranty period it's worth taking it in for an inspection even it has passed one before.

6. May 29, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    firecherokee

firecherokee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    College Park Md
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Double Cab TRD
    Just got back from Silver Spring Toyota In Maryland. They said my frame was on order and should be in 3 weeks and they'll call me when it arrives. They let me drive the truck home. The leafsprings are also pretty shot since they're pretty shot on my 07 4d TRD with 126K miles. Fingers crossed there are no "additional charges" but with 126k miles still sounds like a pretty good deal. I know my old f150 wouldn't have lasted this long.

7. May 30, 2015 at 5:17 AM
    Eldowr

Eldowr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donavon
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    1999 ext 4wd 5 Speed
    Kenwood sound system
    To update on my story...
    I am stationed in Germany. I called Toyota of USA about my rusted frame on my '99, they told me that a dealer had to inspect the truck. Called stateside dealer and emailed them pictures, they forwarded them to Toyota USA. Three months go by and I had given up hope.
    I then received an email from Toyota of Germany asking me to take the truck to a German dealer. The German dealer inspected the truck and agreed it was rusted out. Toyota of Germany contacted Toyota of Japan who sent them the money for buyback.
    I lucked out when Toyota Germany paid me, they included German 19% tax on top of the buy back amount! So I received ~$11,400 for a truck I only owned 10 months..

Now I drive an '03 4runner and Toyota is going to replace the dash under warranty enhancement program... I know some folks h have had bad luck with Toyota, but the done right for me and I plan to remain a customer. Here's hoping they release a diesel 4runner soonish...

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  8. May 30, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    I Know this is an old post, but I have not been on this site in a while.

Clarification on the undercoating: As far as I know, this requirement only applied to 2001-2004 model years. Older years had no frame replacement option, which is why your '99 was bought back without question/without undercoating. I had no undercoating on my '97 or '00 when they were bought back. But it was required on my '01 and '03. Whatever Toyota's justification for this, i.e. to mitigate their losses on this issue, it seems you are in dire straights if it was not done on your '01-'04 vehicle within the required window to maintain the extended frame rust warranty.

I actually don't think much of the undercoating is still on my truck. Whatever they used was not long lasting, but had to meet tougher environmental standards. I take my '03 in for my annual rust inspection soon, and I want it to fail, but the frame seems solid. Now if I can only get the CEL to turn off.

9. Aug 18, 2015 at 5:22 PM
    scw156

scw156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Off-road MGM
    I have 2001 that just came back from the mechanic. The bracket that holds the cab to the frame is rusted through and my cab slams around when I hit bumps. The mechanic would not attempt to fix it. My frame is very rusty and is flaking badly in some spots. In others the corrosion coating that was put on it in 2010 is peeling off. I couldn't find any large holes in the frame with a less than thorough self inspection but there might be a really tiny hole in a spot. I have a call in to Toyota Corporate and am currently playing phone tag with my Case Rep.

I wonder if the rusted brackets qualify as "frame"...

10. Aug 18, 2015 at 6:13 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    I hope you are covered. I never saw any holes in any of my Tacoma frames, but the dealer found them. They would not let me drive my '01 off the lot after inspection.

btw, my '03 passed the rust trough inspection again, and is still solid. And the CEL is off.

11. Aug 18, 2015 at 9:56 PM
    EastWaTaco

EastWaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    1996 3.4L 4x4
    What do you guys feel like I need to do to get the most value out of the truck? I've got some pretty good rot forming and I was going to take the truck in to get it checked out. Right now I'm running 33x12.5s on steelies with Bilsteins at 0"
    I still have the stock tires/rims and I'm planning on buffing the truck, but would I actually get more or less $ for the big tires?

12. Sep 3, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    scw156

scw156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Off-road MGM

Update. My truck is being bought back off me. I'll be using that $$$ to put toward a 2016.

13. Sep 4, 2015 at 5:34 PM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    Hang on... You've got a 2001 that is getting bought back? I was receptive to a buy back of my 2001 but was told it's simply not an option for 2001-2004 trucks...what's your story? My truck has been in the shop for the past two months and the new frame just arrived yesterday.

14. Sep 4, 2015 at 5:43 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    Model year 2001 should be a frame replacement.

15. Sep 4, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    Yeah exactly. That's why I'm wondering how he got a buy back.

16. Sep 16, 2015 at 8:06 AM
    ChangingGears

ChangingGears New Member

Member:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 Extracab purchased from original owner in 9/2015 with 65K miles via used car lot in York PA.
    I purchased a 2001 Tacoma V6 4x4 SR5 with only 65K miles last week from a used car dealer in York PA. On the surface she looks great.... He purchased it from original owner. Truck was PA state inspected and passed. I asked if it had any rust issues and he said no [because it passed PA state inspection?] Ha!. So I bought it as is and brought it to MD for state inspection and it failed. Wipers and a couple rust holes in the frame. Really PA?? Anyway, the previous owner did not undercoat it. My local dealership service mgr. said that since it wasn't undercoated I am responsible for frame rust repairs. Right now it's $350 to patch a couple holes (6x2" and 3x2"). It had to go back for the 3x2 hole they missed, parts had to be removed to get to it but was told that I am not responsible for any additional cost over the $350. Phew..

Other then those two places the frame is in good condition according to Toyota... "But" I should have it inspected each year and blast the undercarriage after driving on salty roads each winter storm to remove salt.

Anybody trying to maintain their frame and having success or issues?
    Should I start climbing the ladder in Toyota-dom even though I am not eligible due to a lack of undercoating by previous owner?
    Advice anyone??

toyota 2001.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  17. Sep 17, 2015 at 8:19 AM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    Nice truck with amazingly low mileage. Also amazed that the prior owner did not follow through with the undercoating. You could always try Toyota, but unless there are extraordinary circumstances as to why the undercoating was not done, I'm not sure how far you will get.

I've owned four tacomas, none as the original owner, and received the warranty notice/buy back plan/frame replacement on each one through the US mail. My experience with the program has been top notch, and toyota has been more than fair with me and those I know that have had vehicles run through the program. Fair warning was given concerning the undercoating. As buyers, we should know enough by now to run the vin through a dealer before any money changes hands. I would not expect a state inspection to look for frame rust. They certainly don't in NY, unless your mechanic is familiar with Toyota issues.

I don't have any experience with frame repairs, but other on here do. Search the threads.

18. Sep 17, 2015 at 9:02 AM
    ChangingGears

ChangingGears New Member

Member:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 Extracab purchased from original owner in 9/2015 with 65K miles via used car lot in York PA.
    Thanks for your reply ghs57. I found a bunch of invoices in the glove box. One dated May 17, 2013 says on there that the "Client States Perform All Recalls". They inspected and replace spare tire carrier - Tacoma. That's it. Don't you think that they would have inspected the frame and performed the undercoating as well? I'm thinking of looking back in the thread(s) to find out who to contact in Toyota Corporate for some help here. What do you think?

19. Sep 17, 2015 at 9:22 AM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    I think that 5/17/2013 was after the cut off date for the undercoating. There was a state specific deadline before which this needed to be completed. I don't recall what it was here in NY, but it was something like 12/31/2011. The spare tire hanger recall was after that date. Still, they may have discussed the frame with the owner. Maybe that's why the then owner parted company with the truck.

20. Sep 17, 2015 at 9:42 AM
    ChangingGears

ChangingGears New Member

Member:
    Thanks for that info. I'm still going to see if I can get them to budge. It's an automatic no unless you ask....
    You are correct I should have done more research. Water under the bridge now.....

Products Discussed in

To Top