1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BEWARE of Older Sway-A-Way RACERUNNER 2.0's!!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NAVY_TRIPP, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Feb 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    NAVY_TRIPP

NAVY_TRIPP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma DC
    6" Fabtech, Sway-A-Way 2.0's, 4.88's, Deck Plate, headers, 1'' shackles, AP extended lines, Warn M8000, ARE Tonneau
    To warn anyone who may find some on ebay, craiglist or from a random person, Sway-A-Way has not made replacement shafts for the older style 2.0's, like pictured, in 8 years+.

I got a set of 2.0's that needed a rebuild and new shafts because they were pitted. I called Sway-A-Way to confirm with the part number I found on their website and ordered from one of their suppliers. When I received the new shafts I could instantly tell there was a problem. One end of the shaft was considerably larger than its counterpart that I removed.

After calling Sway-A-Way back, they were helpful and informational, I learned that this was the only 7/8 shaft they were producing for the 2.0 with my specs. The shafts are the exact same length and the piston side is correct so Swa-A-Way recommened I take them into a machine shop to have to ends taken down.

Well, they are at the machine shop and after I flipped at the estimate of $120 to do it (shafts were $44 from Kartek), he brought it down to $90 total. Now with an initial purchase of $300 for the coilovers (+TrailMaster 6'' spacers and some other crap), $35 for a spanner, $50 for a new seal kit + oil, $138 for new schrader valve 2 shafts and 2 wear bands and $90 for machine work I am unbelievably pissed off and anxious for this process to be over with! Lesson learned, should have just got a new set, but I really did want the TrailMaster 6'' spacers!!! I hope these things work well for me!

S_P1010008.jpg
    S_P1010001.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    Trusso24

Trusso24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    San Luis Obispo
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner XCab
    Fox Coilovers Blacked Out Debadged
    Definitely something im considering while upgrading the suspension. Seems worth it to pay for the premium and get the customer service

Looks like it worked out in the end though, good luck!

3. Feb 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    NAVY_TRIPP

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma DC
    6" Fabtech, Sway-A-Way 2.0's, 4.88's, Deck Plate, headers, 1'' shackles, AP extended lines, Warn M8000, ARE Tonneau
    Thank you. If you find a set with good shafts I wouldn't worry too much about it because the internals for 2.0's are all the same, readily available and pretty cheap ($11-$17 per seal kit and $12'ish for oil, available valving/pistons etc). Kartek has a lot of parts for all setups and in stock most of the time, instead of waiting the 3 weeks for a company like Sway-A-Way to send them the part to be distributed to you. Their stuff is usually cheaper than what the manufacturer has it listed for also.

4. Feb 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    you didnt happen to take a pic of the differeneces did you?

5. Feb 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    NAVY_TRIPP

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma DC
    I didn't but let me see what I can find. I have one of the shafts I took out still, while the other is at the machine shop

6. Feb 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    NAVY_TRIPP

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma DC
    This is a pic of the old rod. What the new one is, is the same lower part where the piston is attached, same rod diameter of 7/8, but where this old rod's chromoly stops and the diameter shrinks towards the top, the newer shaft's chromoly and diameter extends to the end and is simply threaded on the 7/8 diameter.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. The reason for this is that the newer coilovers mount "upside down" compared to the older ones. The upside down mounting means the the piston rod is pointed down and screws directly into a "rod end" that connects to your lower control arm. The old coilovers, like the ones pictured, mount with the rod pointing up; requiring a smaller rod end diameter to be inserted into the top mount for the coilover and bolted to your strut mount. This is the same design and principles of the stock strut, or any MacPherson strut.

That was a mouth full with a lot of repeating words. I hope it came across clear enough. May have to read it slow a few times. I will post a pic of the shafts when I get them back. The newly cut metal will show exactly what needed to be cut.

2013-02-20_19-57-46_205.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top