Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Car Alarm on a Tacoma without power locks?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
JaCkaL829 is on a distinguished road
JaCkaL829's Tacoma Gallery
Car Alarm on a Tacoma without power locks?

Hello,

I'm looking to install a car alarm/remote start on my 'new' 1996 Toyota Tacoma. My Tacoma does not have power locks, so I'm wondering how would this work? Would I first need to get a power lock kit so that an installer can hook the alarm up to it? I'm going to get the Python 991 alarm/remote start.

ANy help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
xcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
xcmtb83's Tacoma Gallery
I do not have power locks in my 1996 Tacoma but I still have some sort of OEM dealer installed alarm on it. The alarm goes off if the truck is not started or the ignition is at least turned to “ON” within 15 seconds of opening the door. I wanted to be able to turn the system on and off at times so I went and talked to a Toyota service manager and he ended up giving me an extra key fob that he had collecting dust and printed me off instructions for setting up the system. Being able to turn it off would be very nice when out car camping for example or any time that you are frequently in and out of your vehicle. I tried to set it up but was not successful. Hint, hint…if anyone knows how to accomplish this please chime in. Sorry if this is hijacking…
Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I think it would just be the immobilizer and shock sensor.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
I think it would just be the immobilizer and shock sensor.
What he said, You can get an alarm without power locks. It just won't have the lock actuators which I think you can get aftermarket so it will unlock/lock with the press of the key fob.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
JaCkaL829 is on a distinguished road
JaCkaL829's Tacoma Gallery
So if I didn't go the power door lock route with new actuators, the alarm would still work? I'm guessing hitting the unlock on the key fob would disarm the alarm, than I would have to use the key to manually open the door? This would still deter theft assuming when they pop the lock the shock sensor of the alarm would alarm?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCkaL829 View Post
So if I didn't go the power door lock route with new actuators, the alarm would still work? I'm guessing hitting the unlock on the key fob would disarm the alarm, than I would have to use the key to manually open the door? This would still deter theft assuming when they pop the lock the shock sensor of the alarm would alarm?
You got it right.
Most systems will have an option to add on power locks.
It's not necessary to have them.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
450rider is on a distinguished road
450rider's Tacoma Gallery
I have the exact same thing, my dad helped me install it. You can just ask the company to install door actuators in addition to the alarm. I think they should be like $25-$30 for each door plus installation. I love mine, the 2 way remote only has to be charged about once a month and when it gets low it will give off a second beep letting you know that.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
the factory system was a rs3200 or the rs3300 for the 03's and newer tacos. ALL of them were the dealer option, installed at the dealership. id go aftermarket, really just door sensor (tapped off of the open door switch (also controls the dome light)), or if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while, get power locks. might be easier to find a whole door with wiring harness and everything, the factory harness SHOULD have the plug, but might not.

maybe talk to a member parting out a truck if you go power locks. and stay in the same series, 95.6-97, 99 & 98, early 2000, and late 2000 to 2004.

they did some funky stuff between the series.