1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible Natural Gas (CNG) conversion?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by YotaKid62, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Feb 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    YotaKid62

YotaKid62 [OP] Dirty mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma TRD Sr5 5 speed
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    Anyone know about any tutorials or info on natural gas conversions? I've read a couple articles but haven't really found an technical info about it. I ran across it and am pretty interested in doing it since there are really no emissions laws around here. Depending on how 'easy' it is to do I'm really considering it since my truck is my commuter. I'm not really interested in having a shop do it and dropping a ton of money since there are probably none certified to do it here. DIY is probably my only option. I'm pretty mechanically adept and can do just about anything I need to with a good tutorial.

any info would be good (running lines, gas/cng switch, tank set-up, etc.). Just figured I'd see if anyone knows much about it or has done it, since it seems like a great mod. BTW i have a 2000 3.4L

2. Feb 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    bunkerboy

bunkerboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prerunner
    No experience here, but I would absolutely do it if the gas were available in my area.

3. Feb 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    IIRC ... CNG figures out to less than $2.00 per gallon ... ratio with gasoline. ... :D

Can't remember the calculated price per Therm on the CNG though. ... :confused:

4. Feb 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    I know, 2$ a gallon fuel would be kickass!

5. Feb 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    To get the most MPGs I believe compression needs to be increased. I'd like cheaper fuel for sure, things will just get worse over time IMO.

6. Feb 26, 2013 at 3:51 AM
    bunkerboy

bunkerboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prerunner
    Yeah, and with CNG you're burning 100% American-made fuel. I'd do the conversion for that reason alone.

7. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:32 AM
    JMaberry

JMaberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    01 3.4L TRD SR5 Extended Cab
    Spectre Intake, custom exhuast, ultragauge, bedlined bumpers and grill, ARE shell, jvc headunit, bottle opener in bed, satoshi, hella 500ffs behind grill
    I was looking into CNG a while ago, either to do the conversion myself or purchase an already converted vehicle. There are definitely a few advantages to it, but after looking into the fracking technology and all the issues they're having I'd be amazed if prices stay where they are now. And its just not a technology I would like to support.

8. Feb 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    BlazeAce

BlazeAce Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    04 Super White
  9. Feb 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    There was a Jay Leno garage episode that had a custom car with an old Jaguar inline 6 converter to CNG. Honda sells a civil ready for it, and there should be a video of an older Tundra converted to run CNG- the owner made a lot of appearances to promote how easy it is. There is a forum for peeps that convert their rides to EVs, there should be something similar for CNG...

10. Mar 25, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    foozil747

foozil747 Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    89 beater
    If the CNG is available at a local pump then go for it. It is cleaner to burn/better for the air we breath and significantly cheaper than the gasoline you are currently burning. I've converted several vehicles and one of the most recent was my brothers '06 tundra and it runs like a champ. For any of the newer vehicles i'd recommend an injected system as they are more efficient and the tune-ability per vehicle has come a long way since the initial gas hike. The kit that we just installed was one from mycngguy.com. I have seen a few tacos done and done well. So if you have the fuel available and want to save some cash and drive clean then go for it. its worth it IMHO. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  11. Mar 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    anyone have any advice as far as the actual installation of the kit? What exactly is involved as far as the actual fuel injection? Do you just tap into the actual fuel line to get it to the engine and then let the computer do the work as far as tuning?

12. Mar 26, 2013 at 3:58 AM
    foozil747

foozil747 Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    89 beater
    they keep on removing this link so i won't post it as a link. Go to blah and look under the injected kits. there is a ton of information and even some basic videos of how to and how the kit acutally works. they are pretty slick and some major advances as far as the conversions are concerned. Even for a do it yourselfer or backyard mechanic can get one of the new kits running.

13. Mar 26, 2013 at 4:00 AM
    foozil747

foozil747 Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    89 beater
    shoot me a PM if you have more technical questions and i'll tell you what ever i can. I have installed several of the kits and they have run great.
    blah

14. Mar 26, 2013 at 4:04 AM
    foozil747

foozil747 Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    89 beater
    From your avatar something to consider is that you will need some bed space to put the tanks and it might limit your ability to carry your bike in the back of your truck. just food for thought. The tanks are containing pressures up to and over 4000 or 5000 psig so they are overbuilt for safety reasons and consume an amount of space that some people are put out by. I wasn't sure if you had thought of tank placement for your truck or if you were aware of the tank sizes.
    blah

15. Mar 26, 2013 at 5:53 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Couldn't the tank(s) be relocated somewhere around the original ?? or maybe have 2 smaller saddle tanks that'd be hidden by bed sides??..:notsure:

16. Mar 26, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    We keep removing it because you've only shown up to try to sell stuff. You have 4 posts, and they ALL try to drive traffic to your site. No introduction or conversation, just "here's my site and PM me for info."

You're not doing much to detract from your potentially-a-spammer status.

17. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    After you take into consideration the cost of the kit, the availability of CNG in your area, the fact that your mpg, and power will be less with CNG , this winter is colder than the pass and there already talking that the price of N gas is increasing I really don't see any advantage.

18. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    FALlover

FALlover Well-Known Member

Member:
    luziana
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma SR5, camo paint
    trail gear bumbers, warn 9000
    OP. check this website http://bienvillestudios.com/

these guys built a car that went from coast to coast on NG

they are local to me but you may want to call and ask some questions. JT is a really cool guy

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  19. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
  20. Mar 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the replies! I have thought about tank placement and I don't see any reason why I couldn't place it somewhere under the bed and out of sight or even fab some sort of rack for it to keep it out of the way. And even so, I wouldn't be running ng when hauling bikes so there would be no reason I couldn't have some sort of quick-connect to make it easy to take out when not in use.

Products Discussed in

To Top