Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch/Clutch hydraulic problems...any insight appreciated

Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch/Clutch hydraulic problems...any insight appreciated

Having this issue w/ my clutch that I thought I fixed last year.

What its doing: When using the clutch to start/stop, or just resting your foot on the clutch pedal with medium pressure, the clutch loses resistance and the pedal falls to the floor....and if its in gear the clutch will engage super close to the floor.

Then just letting go of the pedal, it will build pressure back up and will feel normal till you use it, or hold it in for too long.

It did the same thing about a year ago, and after rebuilding the slave, and replacing the master cylinder w/ a unit from autozoneit was fine. But now its doing it again. I replaced the slave yesterday, and after bleeding the clutch...and there is NO AIR in there...still doing the same thing. There are no external leaks anywhere.

Tired of this...could it be anywhere else in the clutch system that could be causing this? Should I take the master cylinder back under warranty and replace it again too?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a hydraulic issue. Maybe one of these from marlincrawler.com http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/hydraulics
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
JudoJohn is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
JudoJohn's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like your master cylinder is bad.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
^^
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
cruxofthebisquit is on a distinguished road

Name: John
cruxofthebisquit's Tacoma Gallery
I've had bad luck with aftermarket and only use factory replacements now. They're really not that expensive and you' prob. get 10 years service from it.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxofthebisquit View Post
I've had bad luck with aftermarket and only use factory replacements now. They're really not that expensive and you' prob. get 10 years service from it.
I replaced my master and slave cylinders on my 1986 Toyota with NAPA parts. I used the lifetime warranty probably four times in the following six years/ 50,000 miles or so.

I agree, dealership is the right choice for these particular components.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I'm probably going to give the autozone master cylinder with the lifetime warranty and all...and after that probably will give an OEM unit if it gives me more issues.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought my '03 3 weeks ago brought it home and it drove nice for about 2 days then started having the same symptoms as yours.

seemed as if the clutch system had never been bled/flushed/refilled/replaced as dirty and nasty as it was, and the little rubber cap for the bleed valve was fused to the valve because of dryrot.

I flushed the system, refilled, removed enough air to inflate the Hindenburg and it shifts better than the day I got it.

I agree with others that if you aren't rocking an OEM system, that has to be the problem. Fluid is backwashing thru a weak seal in the cylinder giving your clutch half of it's normal cycle thus causing the pedal to engage at the floor versus mid/top end. That, of course, is my agressively unprofessional opinion however. I have zero mechanical experience just using common sense of a hydraulic circuit.