1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Guy

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DDRaptor, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    DDRaptor

DDRaptor [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner SR5
    Hey guys I bought a 2000 Tacoma Prerunner ext. cab for my son, we have been working on it together. Currently we have new audio systems with 2 12 inch subs. Working on Suspension now, what do you guys recommend to clear 33 12.5 15 or 16. I was thinking 3 inch suspension and 3 inch body. Thanks for any and all info you can give, Thanks guys.

2. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Welcome to the site. There is no shortage of info here.

3. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    body lifts are of the devil! oh, and welcome

4. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Maybe just the 3inch suspension and some minor trimming. Read up on backspacing and offset and stuff. But a body lift shouldn't be on your list, just not safe past 1inch. Sounds like it's gonna be a sweet truck!

5. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW, those are some awfully wide tires to put on there. I'm not a 1st gen guy but I would recommend your son putting in his time here to do the research on lifts. I don't know a ton about the geometry of your son's truck but I have to think in order to accommodate tires that big and wide correctly will require a lot of work to do. We tend to frown on body lifts around here as a rule of thumb and prefer to lift the suspensions only. Pehaps some of the first gen guys can chime in here and help a brother out. If not, begin by using the search feature with terms like "ICON", "Old Man Emu", "King Shocks", "Dakars" what you will start to find is member's trucks that have done things similar to what you are proposing, you could then look up those members and ask them questions. You could aslo post a thread in the 1st Gen section of this site and ask your questions there. Also if you look under "Vendor List" (Far right side of the "Forum List" drop down menu), you will find vendors that are used and approved by this website.

6. Feb 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    DDRaptor

DDRaptor [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner SR5
    Thanks for all the input guys, I think we may go with 10.5 width tire, he is trying to get close to mine I have a Tundra with 35's. I am the proud owner of 3 toyotas, does anyone on this forum build bumpers. On Tundra Talk they have a guy who builds bumpers for our trucks. So did not know if someone did it here.

7. Feb 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    On the Vendors list, a bunch of them do, click over there and go to their websites. Keep in mind that along with prices, styles and features, the wait time for products varies as well.

8. Feb 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure my tires are 33/12.5/16 and they aren't awfully wide. I feel like that's what they should of came with from factory. They work fine. But yes, I'd steer clear of the body lifts. And welcome to TW!

Products Discussed in

To Top