Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

headlight restore?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
bsb120 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bradley
bsb120's Tacoma Gallery
headlight restore?

my buddy had a guy come out and restore his headlights he slightly sanded them and then sprayed something on them and they look better then new, any idea as to what this could be? or any idea how to fix terrible looking headlights?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Replacement headlights are cheap now days. Most people who restore their headlight and seal them still say they turned yellow after a period of time. Buy a new set and seal them with a sealer.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Go to any local detail shop if you want them restored... Id rather just buy a new set though
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Devout is on a distinguished road

Devout's Tacoma Gallery
I used vinyl window swirl remover on mine.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb120 View Post
my buddy had a guy come out and restore his headlights he slightly sanded them and then sprayed something on them and they look better then new, any idea as to what this could be? or any idea how to fix terrible looking headlights?
I polish mine every few years, but I already have the polish and associated gear (pads, buffer etc.) because I'm in the business.

I agree with the others; price a replacement first.

If you were local, I'd polish your headlights for free; it's that easy once you've done it a few times.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #6

bsb120's Tacoma Gallery
plishandwax.com what do you use?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
The best way to polish them back up is sanding, clear coat, and a buff job. If you just sand and polish there is nothing to protect the lens anymore. You need a UV protectant.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
plishandwax.com what do you use?
Rotary buffer, polish and a wool pad.

I use CSI Cut N Polish, but any quality polish will work. Not too long ago I used Meguiar's M205 and that worked great.

If headlights are REALLY trashed, I recommend wet sanding them first, otherwise polish on a wool pad works fine.

If you don't need to sand, the whole job takes maybe 10 minutes, including cleanup. Actually a little longer if you mask, which I would do on someone else's vehicle.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
The best way to polish them back up is sanding, clear coat, and a buff job. If you just sand and polish there is nothing to protect the lens anymore. You need a UV protectant.
I agree that they will not last as long without some sort of coating, but depending on conditions, they can last years without fogging up again.

Unlike paint, headlight lenses are really thick so you can polish them over and over and over and never go through.

Mine are due again and I did them in 2007 and then again in 2010. But my ride is garaged.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

bsb120's Tacoma Gallery
?hmm. well can you buy the csi anywhere besides online? what about plastix?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
?hmm. well can you buy the csi anywhere besides online? what about plastix?
CSI is available in some paint shops but not in your typical retail outlet.

I haven't tried the Plastix kits, but some people like those and other headlight kits. There are a lot of options out there.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
I just finished using the Meguiars Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit and it worked great on four headlights. They were in pretty bad shape.

You start off wet sanding the lens with 1000 grit pad and then move to wet sand with the 3000 grit pad and then use the paste with the provided attachment for your drill. After that you put on the UV protectant and you are done. Meguiars says the UV protectant should be reapplied every three months.

I will see how it holds up. But they look really good now.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma04 View Post
I just finished using the Meguiars Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit and it worked great on four headlights. They were in pretty bad shape.

You start off wet sanding the lens with 1000 grit pad and then move to wet sand with the 3000 grit pad and then use the paste with the provided attachment for your drill. After that you put on the UV protectant and you are done. Meguiars says the UV protectant should be reapplied every three months.

I will see how it holds up. But they look really good now.
How easy is it to apply the UV protectant?

I don't mean to sound like I'm bagging on Meguiar's, because I actually like several of their products, but every three months sounds like like a lot, unless it is really easy.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #14

bsb120's Tacoma Gallery
i bought some bluemagic lens cleaner and meguiars uv selant i will try it in the morning and let yall know the results
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
How easy is it to apply the UV protectant?

I don't mean to sound like I'm bagging on Meguiar's, because I actually like several of their products, but every three months sounds like like a lot, unless it is really easy.
The protectant is easy to apply. Put some on a cloth and wipe it on. Then buff it off. It isn't a liquid, so it doesn't run. It is a thinner paste you squeeze out of a plastic bottle.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #16

bsb120's Tacoma Gallery
i used the two items i mentioned yesterday, and they worked great never seen my headlights shine like they do now, I also used this same method on my mothers cr-v today and it worked wonders on it too, im sold on bluemagic and meguiars
Old 03-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
Q Source is on a distinguished road
Q Source's Tacoma Gallery
I've had good luck with the 3M brand headlight restorer.

One thing I did as well was purchase the weathertech headlight film, it's just like clear helicopter tape cut to fit all the headlights, major pita to put on but it will keep the plastic from oxidizing, or at least it has for 9 California months.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #18
4Paws is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
4Paws's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i used the two items i mentioned yesterday, and they worked great never seen my headlights shine like they do now, I also used this same method on my mothers cr-v today and it worked wonders on it too, im sold on bluemagic and meguiars
No before and after pics? ?? Shame on you sir.