Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cold air intake on 3.4L tacoma?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
kai131tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Kai
kai131tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Cold air intake on 3.4L tacoma?

been thinking about installing K&N cold air intake in my 2002 tacoma 4x4 3.4L automatic. will it improve performance and horsepower by a lot? is it worth the $220+????
Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Deck plate mod, my friend. Will cost a fraction of a CAI and will have essentially the same effect.

http://home.ezonline.net/~jnburtman/deckplate.html

Save your $220 for different mods..
Old 03-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Trusso24 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
Trusso24's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ood-bad-2.html
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai131tacoma View Post
will it improve performance and horsepower by a lot?
No. a little, maybe. If you REALLY want more juice, get the TRD S/C.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
SUPERNICK is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
SUPERNICK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Deck plate mod, my friend. Will cost a fraction of a CAI and will have essentially the same effect.

http://home.ezonline.net/~jnburtman/deckplate.html

Save your $220 for different mods..
OH MAN IM LOVIN THIS TOTALLY LOVE TO SAVE THE CASH FOR OTHER MODS!!!!!

What type of filters would be recommended. Obviously its not a cone filter like a cold air system
Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERNICK View Post
OH MAN IM LOVIN THIS TOTALLY LOVE TO SAVE THE CASH FOR OTHER MODS!!!!!

What type of filters would be recommended. Obviously its not a cone filter like a cold air system
I would recommend the aFe Pro Dry S drop in air filter as a good high-flow filter to compliment the deck plate. (It just goes in the same spot your stock air filter is in now.) I'd recommend staying away from K&N since it's an oil filter and has been known to not filter as well and gunk up the MAF.. (Usually this is due to user error and applying too much oil to the filter, but still...)

BTW, the deck plate is dyno-proven to gain hp. It's not a ton, but still gain. Only reason, most people don't report increase in gas mileage is because they're always accelerating harder to hear the nice growl from the deck plate at 3k rpm.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
extrmsob293 is on a distinguished road
extrmsob293's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I have the K&N fipk for sale if you're interested, still in good shape and come with all the hardware, cleaning kit and dry supercharger cover
Old 03-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
extrmsob293 is on a distinguished road
extrmsob293's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
I would recommend the aFe Pro Dry S drop in air filter as a good high-flow filter to compliment the deck plate. (It just goes in the same spot your stock air filter is in now.) I'd recommend staying away from K&N since it's an oil filter and has been known to not filter as well and gunk up the MAF.. (Usually this is due to user error and applying too much oil to the filter, but still...)

BTW, the deck plate is dyno-proven to gain hp. It's not a ton, but still gain. Only reason, most people don't report increase in gas mileage is because they're always accelerating harder to hear the nice growl from the deck plate at 3k rpm.
I have my k&n and i havn't have any problem with the MAF sensor, i guess people went kinda hard on the oiling
Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrmsob293 View Post
I have my k&n and i havn't have any problem with the MAF sensor, i guess people went kinda hard on the oiling
I also have a K&N drop in filter. Just cleaned and re-oiled it and cleaned the MAF sensor the other day... I'm very careful with how much oil I apply and my MAF was still very dirty. (not enough to throw an engine code, but still pretty bad) K&N simply isn't the best design.. The oil can dirty up the MAF and they've been tested to be less effective with actually filtering dirt and fine particles compared to other after-market, high flow air filters. (such as the aFe pro dry s.)

Products Discussed in this Thread