Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Smell Burning Rubber, Front End Vibrates...

Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
ensignme is on a distinguished road
Marines:
ensignme's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Smell Burning Rubber, Front End Vibrates...

Ok... starting smelling rubber a few days ago from around the front wheel wells. Front end started vibrating shortly thereafter, first only at fast speeds now it's almost constant... sort of a low but loud whining sound coming from the front end with the vibration.

Took it by the shop today. He said I need new bearings... Would bad bearings cause the smell along with the vibrations???

I thought maybe I had a belt slipping, but he said they were good.

Anyone got any ideas???
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensignme View Post
Ok... starting smelling rubber a few days ago from around the front wheel wells. Front end started vibrating shortly thereafter, first only at fast speeds now it's almost constant... sort of a low but loud whining sound coming from the front end with the vibration.

Took it by the shop today. He said I need new bearings... Would bad bearings cause the smell along with the vibrations???

I thought maybe I had a belt slipping, but he said they were good.

Anyone got any ideas???
yep.....when bearings seize up...................they will get hot as hell...........hot to the point that the rubber bushings in the lca's will start to kinda melt a little, and that is where the vibes are coming from too. new bearings will feel like a new truck man.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
x2. You can do it at home, its not hard. Just time consuming.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
DevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant future

Name: Kenny
DevilsChild's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a dildo to me.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsChild View Post
Sounds like a dildo to me.

you get the smell of burning rubber when you use one?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
you get the smell of burning rubber when you use one?
..........................thats friction right there!!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
DevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant futureDevilsChild has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
..........................thats friction right there!!
See, Will knows his shit.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
you need some KY or His& Hers..Lube that shit!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #9

Anything that vibrates and smells like rubbers is kinky shit man. Its a heavy duty dildo that's spinning its wheels. Poor traction. 4 wheel drive malfunctioning?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Anything that vibrates and smells like rubbers is kinky shit man. Its a heavy duty dildo that's spinning its wheels. Poor traction. 4 wheel drive malfunctioning?
traction grease!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
traction grease!!!
Exactly. Urine or you're out.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Exactly. Urine or you're out.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Marines:
aside from the... ahem.... synthetic discussions above... what could I expect this to run me at a shop vs me doing it... ahem... the bearings... at home?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensignme View Post
aside from the... ahem.... synthetic discussions above... what could I expect this to run me at a shop vs me doing it... ahem... the bearings... at home?
well..........you can probably get the bearings for around $30 or so(just a guess), then an hour or so to do it.........................a shop will charge you labor plus parts, so,honestly, im gonna guess around $200 or so. as i said tho....just a guess.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #15
Jentry is on a distinguished road
Jentry's Tacoma Gallery
I think its the bearing making the noise. vibrations at high speeds could be your tires out of ballance the speeds that tire show the ballance is at 65-75 mph.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra69 View Post
Your talking about the bearing in the spindle,right? I thought those were a nightmare to get out?
they can be a pita.......but its alot cheaper to do it yourself rather than say the dealership. its more time consuming probably than anything.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #19
Marines:
here's the latest... talked to the shop today, they have my truck... said that it's not the wheel bearing but the front diff bearing!!!... he said that he knew this because there was play in the front drive shaft. but I've been reading and it seems to me that there is suppose to be play in it. I still think it's the wheel bearings, one or both...

is the front shaft suppose to have play in it???
Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #20
Marines:
he's getting ready to tear the diff apart in the morning at a cost of about $600 labor without knowing for sure if that's what it is... any thoughts?