Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why Is My Tacoma So Slow and Gutless?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
Just go drive a first gen pickup or anything with a 22re. You'll feel much better about it.
LOL!

Great truck, but if someone cut me off on a grade and I had to let off the gas I was screwed.
4th gear on the floor to maintain 75 up a moderate grade.
3rd gear on the floor to maintain anything above 55 on a long/steep grade.

Putting 31's on that '94 was a bad decision.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
figaroni is on a distinguished road
figaroni's Tacoma Gallery
Dont mean to thread jack here but Yes keep us posted. I am experiencing the same issue. Even worse after I put on a volant cai. Headers and exhuast seemed to help but it's only masking the issue. My acceleration is pretty good at part throttle but when I punch it to go around traffic I'd does nothing. It's like it kicks down but instead of taking off it bogs down and litteraly does nothing. When it does start to go its like I'm redlining it get anything out of it. I bought mine a year ago with 107k now have 114k. So maybe I'm timing belt kit needs changing too. ? Hopefully it doesn't cost too
Much to have done. Already have the parts.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #23
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you still haven't mentioned what size tires you are currently running.
Larger diameter tires (than stock) will account for lack of power.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
just got my quote today. $375 for labor alone. I bought the parts from rock auto already thinking i was gonna try it myself. If this doesnt work, its gonna get a gear change....
Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I have to agree with the posts above. I just had a MAJOR service done on my truck at Toyota. They replaced everything from the Timing Belt, water pump, all the belts including all the pulleys and all the tensioners, all new cam and crank seals, new fuel filter, rear axel and auto fluid change and new plugs and wires. The truck runs AMAZING. It really brings the life back into the truck I'm at about 120K miles right now. The idle is amazingly solid and smooth now especially when at a stop light. No fluctuation at all it just runs like a well tuned machine now.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #26
Ok so I just got my timing belt and components done and plugs and headers and thermostat and rad flush and oil change.... Still gutless as hell. I guess gears are gonna be next and hope it helps
Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
How do you drive your truck? in all my vehicles bikes cars trucks, i drive them hard, because babying it cause seals to get lose and you don't have as much cylinder pressure as a engine that was rev to redline all the time. all my bikes were broken in doing intermittent redlining every time i drive. and all my vehicles runs great have great pressure and no leaks. learned that from a old timer racer.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
dust ...
chris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Chris
chris66's Tacoma Gallery
erm just straight pipe it or better yet just hack the exhaust off right after the headers

but in all actuality i never thought tacomas should be "that" fast. i can still pass people but i don't drive it like a sports car. but then again i do like accelerating fast since my exhaust makes me sound cool right?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #29
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
erm just straight pipe it or better yet just hack the exhaust off right after the headers

but in all actuality i never thought tacomas should be "that" fast. i can still pass people but i don't drive it like a sports car. but then again i do like accelerating fast since my exhaust makes me sound cool right?
i hope you are joking lol
Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #30
Well that's just it. I DO drive it kinda hard. Either way, when I floor it, it should kick down and go. It doesn't. It hesitates, kicks down and acts like its gonna rip out like a banshee, then just does off and just pulls like my wife's old sentra. Like i got no passing power. He'll my wife's 05 sentra 1.8 kicks down and scoots faster then this. Fresh full tuned v6 with intake headers exhaust and a 4.10 gear in a small lightweight compact truck and it still can't perform? Idk.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe your expectations are too high for the truck. I mean it's still a 3,600 + lb truck putting out a measiliy 190HP. Putting out out those kind of numbers with that weight the truck is going to feel like a turd because its well; a truck. If you want to go fast, get a bike or car.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #32
Well. That's just it. It's got a 4.10 gear. Wtf. That alone should be launching this thing. And it doesn't. My fathers 05 double cab and has 3.73s and is way faster then mine. I guess that's where I get my expectations. A bigger heavier tacoma with less gear is that's much faster
Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #33
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno.... relatively speaking my 3.4 can haul ass up a 12,000' mountain pass when it's filled with gear and a passenger.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #34
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaroni View Post
Well. That's just it. It's got a 4.10 gear. Wtf. That alone should be launching this thing. And it doesn't. My fathers 05 double cab and has 3.73s and is way faster then mine. I guess that's where I get my expectations. A bigger heavier tacoma with less gear is that's much faster

also much more power and torque..and better ECU that knows how to shift better.

out autos aren't that great.

but its a truck..not a race car..so..get over it haha
Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #35
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nobody has asked... what size tires are you running?

Also, 4.10 vs 3.73 means nothing without knowing the final drive ratio, which is a function of the transmission, diff, and tire size. You can have a 5.00 diff but still have a taller final drive ratio than a car/truck with 3.73, depending on the trans and tires.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #36
Blackdawg, again, I'm not looking for cobra speed here just like it to have a little extra pep.

As for the other Questions, I'm running a 265/75r16 bfg at. Volant intake, headers and dynomax superturbo muffler. The truck has the stock 4.10 gears. Look, at part throttle its fine. I'm cruising 45, ease on the gas and she pulls well. BUT if I need to pass a big rig and floor it, it acts like its gonna really take off, then just bogs and doesn't pull any harder then at part throttle. This happens at all speeds. No matter how fast. When it kicks down it acts as if it gets slower and harder to accelerate. Now, I just replaced plugs, timing belt, water pump, pulleys, belts, coolant flush oil change, fuel filter change, "o" gasket in tbody, heck I even put on an lcengeering 2.5lbs crank pulley....NOTHING. Still doesn't kick down very well. I'm running out of ideas and its getting frustrated.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #37
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Blackdawg, again, I'm not looking for cobra speed here just like it to have a little extra pep.

As for the other Questions, I'm running a 265/75r16 bfg at. Volant intake, headers and dynomax superturbo muffler. The truck has the stock 4.10 gears. Look, at part throttle its fine. I'm cruising 45, ease on the gas and she pulls well. BUT if I need to pass a big rig and floor it, it acts like its gonna really take off, then just bogs and doesn't pull any harder then at part throttle. This happens at all speeds. No matter how fast. When it kicks down it acts as if it gets slower and harder to accelerate. Now, I just replaced plugs, timing belt, water pump, pulleys, belts, coolant flush oil change, fuel filter change, "o" gasket in tbody, heck I even put on an lcengeering 2.5lbs crank pulley....NOTHING. Still doesn't kick down very well. I'm running out of ideas and its getting frustrated.
Put a 5-speed manual transmission in it then supercharge it

Old 05-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #38
madjik, well ithought about that. Im not really wanting to run premium fuel...BUT how safe am i to run a huffer on a rig thats got 114k miles on it? Thats my only concern. That and we are hitting our hot months now where we touch 125+ degree temps.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #39
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
madjik, well ithought about that. Im not really wanting to run premium fuel...BUT how safe am i to run a huffer on a rig thats got 114k miles on it? Thats my only concern. That and we are hitting our hot months now where we touch 125+ degree temps.
I put my blower on with 214k on the clock. I have 221k on it now and I've put a smaller pulley with the urd fuel stuff since I installed it. The only problem I've had is that it ate my factory clutch that was already on it's last leg.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #40
yota32 is on a distinguished road
yota32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm not a fan of aftermarket intakes; the stock intake is the best. Try putting your stock intake back on and see what happens. If it's bogging down, the air/fuel mixture could be off which could be caused by aftermarket "performance" parts.