LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why Is My Tacoma So Slow and Gutless?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Matt Starr is on a distinguished road
Matt Starr's Tacoma Gallery
Why Is My Tacoma So Slow and Gutless?

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my truck. It is so slow compared to my old 2000 4runner, which doesn't make any sense because my 4runner was an automatic, my Tacoma is a 5spd and the 4runner is heavier. Both are 3.4 V6 and I am running the same size tires.

I don't understand why my truck is so slow. It runs fine and has no CEL.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Clogged cat?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
andoskyy is on a distinguished road
andoskyy's Tacoma Gallery
when is the last time you did a good tune up?

plugs
wires
clean MAF
replace air filter
clean throttle body
run seafoam though vacuum line and gas tank

Is your ebrake stuck (One side of mine was)? Bad wheel bearings?

let us know what you've checked/replaced and it'll help people come up with ideas.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
I just got the truck 3 weeks ago. All I've done is new wheels and tires and an alignment.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran View Post
What size tires are you running compared to what they were? Bigger tires = slow movement unless you regear? Can you tell us what your axle code is?
My 4runner was a 4.30 and my Tacoma is a 4.10 but my Tacoma should still be quicker because the gear ratios of my 5spd should make up for the taller 4.10. Right?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Starr View Post
My 4runner was a 4.30 and my Tacoma is a 4.10 but my Tacoma should still be quicker because the gear ratios of my 5spd should make up for the taller 4.10. Right?
Well you said you replaced your tired? What size in inches did you go from, to what size in inches you had. I.e. I have 32" tires and 4.10 is perfect for that size.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
clean the tb and tbs
clean maf
change plugs and wires if you haven't
check cat temp see if its clogged
Check front bank O2 sensor
do the deckplate mod
change oil to full sythetic, as well as gear oil and MT oil
check if your brakes are dragging,
put in some injector cleaner
seafoam the truck for the valves,
adjust throttle cable
change pcv valve if dirty
check egr port to see if clogged
check vaccume leaks
Lube the drive shafts
air up your tire to at least 35psi
after all that, reflash your truck and start fresh
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4r4life View Post
clean the tb and tbs
clean maf
change plugs and wires if you haven't
check cat temp see if its clogged
Check front bank O2 sensor
do the deckplate mod
change oil to full sythetic, as well as gear oil and MT oil
check if your brakes are dragging,
put in some injector cleaner
seafoam the truck for the valves,
adjust throttle cable
change pcv valve if dirty
check egr port to see if clogged
check vaccume leaks
Lube the drive shafts
air up your tire to at least 35psi
after all that, reflash your truck and start fresh
And that ^
Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And that ^
every 1st gen taco owner and 3rd gen 4runner ower should do that when they first get their truck.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
emeraldtriangle is on a distinguished road
emeraldtriangle's Tacoma Gallery
I literally just joined this site to reply to your thread (okay thats not the only reason).
I got my truck almost a year ago now, and up until a few months ago it was RIDICULOUSLY gutless and had no power. It was getting really frustrating and annoying.

I know this might not be the case for every situation...but what I found when changing the timing belt and water pump was that the belt was literally off by about 10%. The belt was pretty much fine but I changed it anyway..Upon actually having it put on the RIGHT way it has so much more power and "go". It was literally like I got a whole new truck, it was that big of a difference.
It really gets it now and I am very happy that it was just a small thing like that. I was starting to get frustrated that I just had a gutless truck.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2nd gen FTW
Old 03-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
don't forget about the fuel filter, we just replaced it in our 96 4runner and it's definetly peppier.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
trded is on a distinguished road

trded's Tacoma Gallery
supercharge ftw as well
Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
Jefferdy is on a distinguished road

Army: De Oppresso Liber
Jefferdy's Tacoma Gallery
2x what t4r4life and emeraldtriangle said. I got my 99 at 104K and acceleration was like driving through molasses. After I replaced the timing belt, pulleys and hydraulic tensioner, it was like I was driving a racecar! Seriously, it felt like the damn thing was supercharged, the difference was that great. T4R4LIFE's "baseline" post hits the nail on the head. Keep us posted as to what you end up doing, and your results.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Just go drive a first gen pickup or anything with a 22re. You'll feel much better about it.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Starr View Post

nope. gear ratios aren't that far off. 5 speeds 1st is shorter but the others aren't that far off and the 5th is much shorter. 70 on stock in an auto is around 2-2200 vs 25-2700 give or take.

4.30s would give a difference on a 33'' tire yes. 4.10s with a 33s is pretty boggy.

Products Discussed in this Thread