1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

De-rusting then Rust Proofing 01 Taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by abuali7866, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mar 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    abuali7866

abuali7866 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    MN
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4 Auto SR5
    Couple of bolt ons
    I recently bought an '01 Taco, I am officially in love. I've had this truck for about 3 weeks and put a lot of blood, sweat, tears and but mostly $ into prepping it to last me at least 10 years. Engine, interior, exterior are all now operating at 100%. The only concern I have is rust on the frame. I did a pretty quick inspections and it seems like surface rust, but I'm no expert when it comes to this stuff. I want to get it rust proofed but make sure I'm not throwing money away.

Here are my questions folks, thanks in advance for your expertise.

• Should I get get it rust-proofed: Stealership quoted me $500 with NO warranty due to age.
    • Should I grind off the existing rust myself with an angle grinder or o rbital sander before having it professionally treated?
    • Should I just leave it as is and hope for the best.
    • Is there some DIY solution that will do the job (including inside the frame and doors)?

Specs: TRD and Tow package, 128k Miles, 3.4 V6, Auto.

Recent work: New fan clutch, drive belts (3), new valve cover gaskets, replaced camshaft seal, cleaned MAF sensor and throttle body, new air filter, new taillights, new FR headlight, LED interior light swap. Detailed the hell out of it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. Mar 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    CliffordBRD

CliffordBRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    I'm looking to do the same thing and have come up with a few products I'm going to get as soon as the weather permits.

For INSIDE the frame rails. Not sure if it converts rust or not though
    http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

This is what Im going to put on my frame rail exterior. If possible I'm going to sand it down to bare metal. It is similar to POR 15, but seems to be much easier to use and is cheaper with the same if not better results.
    http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_how_to_stop_rust.htm

Keep us posted as this is a common scenario...

3. Mar 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    FALlover

FALlover Well-Known Member

Member:
    luziana
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma SR5, camo paint
    trail gear bumbers, warn 9000
    Sub'd

I've been using permatech's rust converter on mine but want to under coat or bed line the bottom. Maybe even after the rust converter is applied

4. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Grind off any surface rust, then paint with some rust neutralizing paint like POR 15...then touch up when needed.

make sure you wear a mask like an N95 to protect yourself while grinding.

5. Mar 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    Before you do any work on it (the frame) I would see if you are eligible for the frame replacement and bring it in to Toyota for a test. Search around on here, you would be suprised at what frames actually fail, you can't tell with just your eye or a little scrapping.

Cheers, DC

6. Mar 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    toys4ever

toys4ever Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 4-banger stick
    I like that eastwood channel coating spray. Seems a little pricey but if it works its worth it.

If anyone has used or is going to use this, please let us know how it works and how much you need for a tacoma frame

7. Mar 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    abuali7866

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    MN
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4 Auto SR5
    Couple of bolt ons
    Thanks for all the great info guys. I guess the only question I still have is if I do this myself, is it gonna be effective given I can't reach the top of the frame? I don't have the tools or know how to remove the truck from the frame. Will be good doing just the bottom and sides?

8. Mar 5, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    abuali7866

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    MN
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4 Auto SR5
    Couple of bolt ons

AI have no idea how to go about seeing if I'm eligible. I bought the truck a few weeks back used, and am the 3rd owner. Any ideas?

Thanks!

9. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    streamreeper

streamreeper If you gonna shoot,shoot-don't talk

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    the woods of western new york
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma TRD. -2009 acess cab 4x4 green.
    2004 new frame dif breather deck plate ome 881's nitro's dakkar leafs nitro's access tanoue cover
    if you have a one car garage,like me, go up into the attic space above it and span atleast four rafters with a piece of 1" unistrut or something similar to hold at least 500Lbs.attatch an chain into the support in the cieling,attach a chainfall,or something similar to the chain. use your better judgement when building this support structure,its purpose isnt to lift the entire truck,just he bed.back your truck in.span the 4 anchor points in the corners of the bed w chain into the center of the bed,w a central clevice.center it under the chainfall,hookit up.take up the slack.there are only six attachment points from the bed to the frame. unhook the tail lights,fuel door/filltube.unbolt the brd then lift it off the frame. pull the truck out and you have full access to the rear frame for rust proofing,lower the bed down onto sawhorses after to prevent more stress than necassary. I know its not osha approoved but thats how i am doing it rite now. and it works great if your by yourself.

10. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    ok...I got negative rep for my post...wtf? I guess thats what I get for trying to be helpful??

11. Mar 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    blitzburgh99

blitzburgh99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    239,600 (as of 7-20-13 and counting)original owner miles
    I just bought the Eastwood internal frame spray. Hoping to do in next couple of months. Will post when complete with thoughts.

12. Mar 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    feebs03

feebs03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD
    I have a Raptor liner kit at waiting to be applied to the frame and used as undercoating. Just waiting for it to get nicer (going to remove bed to make it easier, heard its only 4 or 6 bolts and a few plugs). I have seen on here that a guy with a second gen did just his frame with one ore two bottles and the kit comes with 4 and a gun. Good deal IMO

http://www.tptools.com/U-Pol-Raptor-Spray-On-Truck-Bed-Liner-Kit,2600.html

13. Mar 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    FishinTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    There is lots of information here on TW. Basically if your truck is less than 15yrs old, and has been in to a toyota dealership for a frame check before a certain date (depending on your state on province) your truck is eligable for either a buy back at 1.5kbb for pre 2001's and post 2001 first gens it's a frame replacement you get. This is of course if your frame has been perforated, naturally or with a hammer at a Deelership.

I forget where it is on here, but there is a website you can punch your vin into and it will tell you if it has been tested and or treated yet.

hope this helps....just type in Buy Back and re-frame in search.

Cheers,

DC

14. Mar 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    FishinTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    Don't see anything wrong with what you posted TacoMX?

15. Mar 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    abuali7866

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    MN
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4 Auto SR5
    Couple of bolt ons
    Sorry that was probably me. I was trying to give everyone who responded positive rep. Apparently I don't know how to internet. :confused:

16. Mar 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    abuali7866

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    MN
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4 Auto SR5
    Couple of bolt ons
    UPDATE: I registered my truck on Toyota's website and after I entered my VIN it showed my some of the service history, which included the previous owner bringing it into a stealership to have the frame rust proofed in '09. This means that I should qualify for frame replacement. I got all my ducks in a row and called Toyota corporate. They gave me a case number and suggested I should qualify for a frame replacement. They also told me to bring it in stat to get the spare tire recall handled. I'm definitely gonna try to get the frame swapped on Toyota's dime before I drop any time or $ into doing into fixing it myself. I'll keep you all posted.

17. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    hahaha...dont worry about it man. :D:D

Didn't mean to sound mad, just kind of a "WTF" moment

18. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    awesome, hope you get a new frame :cool:

19. Mar 11, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    I'm about to do a rust fighting project like this, but more in the lines of rust prevention, good thread OP!

My Taco's frame is pretty much rust free but the factory black coat on the frame is all weathered out from driving in the salt free streets and dirt trails.

I'm curious if the combination of por 15 and Eastwood encapsulator is a bit overkill, heck in my scenario I don't even need to encapsulate any rust. I read an interesting article that was linked from Eastwood's site:
    http://www.eastwood.com/por-15-vs-rust-encapsulator-products-comparision-part-1

I'm leaning towards the Eastwood products but I would like to know if taco owners have already completed a DIY treatment that worked or didn't work over the years.

20. Mar 11, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I coated my frame with fluid film and it still looks new after a decent winter so far. Pretty cheap and easy.

Products Discussed in

To Top