Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

what mods did YOU compliment YOUR supercharger with?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #21
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
tranny cooler a plus.

Upgraded trans valve body recommended by most.

make sure your air filter and intake tubing don't allow anything to get sucked thru.

thermostat upgrade to 160deg
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
tranny cooler a plus.

Upgraded trans valve body recommended by most.

make sure your air filter and intake tubing don't allow anything to get sucked thru.

thermostat upgrade or new? dont know what temp the upgrade is too, Anyone?
Where are you guys finding the transmission modifications ?
I did a google search and found 1 shop who offers a valve body update but the $$$$$ he wants is crazy .
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/a750e.shtml

Can anyone report back on this valve body .
If you look at the valve body , you can adjust the accumulators yourself which in turn would give you firmer shifts .
There are big bore pressure regulators available here but you need a reaming tool . These guys know their stuff
http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/.../filter?filter[make]=15&filter[unit]=473&product_line=trans
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #23
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
how much money there?

see here>http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_Toy...a210-5000p.htm
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
IMO you get what you pay for. You have your uber basic VB "upgrades" that are just solid rods and make the shift painful, then there are stiffer springs, then there is upgrading the clutch packs on top of that, there is machining to change flow, 1-2 shifts etc, then there is modifying torque converters- and some even have aftermarket splines made that are much stronger than OE. I just with IPT or Level 10 were local to me so I wouldn't need to mess with shipping.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #25

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post

Look what the fedex man brought me while i was at work.
Huh. I had to go pick mine up!
Attached Thumbnails
what mods did YOU compliment YOUR supercharger with?-uploadfromtaptalk1363900939499.jpg  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Huh. I had to go pick mine up!
mine didn't come with the modified crank case cover, i'm still not sure if it's necessary to find one or if i can go with out... i see ur has it, lucky
Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #27

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
It only has a small notch cut out of it. Im sure can be done to any cover
Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #28
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It only has a small notch cut out of it. Im sure can be done to any cover
got any good pix/details?

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Cut yours out based on this template:

http://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByJ3w...WRk/edit?pli=1
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #29

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
got any good pix/details?

edit:
I will get them tonight for you, plus that template should be easy.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #30
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
I will get them tonight for you, plus that template should be easy.
thanx!

do u guys typically run your s/c 3.4L A/T's with the overdrive on/off (i assume on) and also with the etc on/off?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #31

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
See if you can read the measuerment on the cover they are on there with black sharpie.
Attached Thumbnails
what mods did YOU compliment YOUR supercharger with?-uploadfromtaptalk1364067838410.jpg  
Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #32

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have the belt part number for the 1st gen supercharger?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #33
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
See if you can read the measuerment on the cover they are on there with black sharpie.
Anyone have the belt part number for the 1st gen supercharger?
Thanx, i can't really see it from my phone so i'll check when i get home from work. I have the belt # at home, i'll look for it.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #34

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
I got these extra parts with my S/C and don't know what they are for anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
what mods did YOU compliment YOUR supercharger with?-uploadfromtaptalk1364161266317.jpg  
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #35
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...dproduct=-8113
Trd s/c belts are cheap here
TRD Supercharger Belt - V6 3.4L (PTR30-35040)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #36
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Quote:
do u guys typically run your s/c 3.4L A/T's with the overdrive on/off (i assume on) and also with the etc on/off?
I know a custom tacos member up in Washington that runs his S/C'd 3.4 with overdrive off because the OEM tranny setup does love to keep the RPMs really low, even in load. I believe he doesn't have fuel mods and I can see that being a way to reduce how often you find yourself in a pinging load area. I turn the overdrive off from time to time as I'd rather have high rpm low manifold pressure operation sometimes (going with the speed of traffic over a bridge/hills etc), rather than boosting at really low RPM for extended periods of time. I also notice with ETC on the truck more readily down shifts when I stomp on it some, reducing the frequency of finding myself in low gear/high boost situations. I do not ping in those regions with my tune, but those regions also lack power, so its nice to force the tranny to get out of them.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #37
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
The URD 7th injector kit isn't bad (and def cheaper) but it is more of a band aid than an ideal fix. It'd be better to get higher flowing fuel injectors, maybe out of a supra?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #38
^^ the key is how to control them.

IMO the 7th injector setup is so popular because of its strengths over a bad primary injector upgrade route.

Note applications with complete ECU control, be it OEM ECU reflashable systems like COBB, or with standalones, people do not do the additional injector thing. With this truck, closed loop boost is an eliminator of systems that are otherwise pretty decent such as an SAFC, MAP ECU, Greddy Emanage Blue, Emanage Ultimate etc.

Enter a system that addresses the closed loop boost like URD's, but it tunes fuel via manipulation of the MAF sensor and you have the headache of tuning larger injectors that way, which is why many say the SAFC, Greddy Blue, MAP ECU 2 and similar systems do not hold a candle to the Emanage Ultimate and AEM FIC. Its a pain as tuning larger injectors via MAF does not address the injectors having a different dwell time as stock, reducing the MAF signal to accommodate for larger injectors puts the OE ECU in a lower load cell in it's map and increasing ignition timing, not good for boost. Some ECU have "blind" pulsewidths that are compensations for tip-in, or cold start being open loop without feedback, even by the MAF, so those do not function like stock anymore. The EMU and FIC have injector dwell time/latency correction features.

One way to get around the pain of tuning for larger injectors is simply not to, and use a 7th for additional fueling. It works, plain and simple. Another way, using a "modern" piggyback that controls injector duty cycle directly, the EMU (emanage ultimate) and AEM FIC. The EMU gets thrown out for not having o2 sensor skewing features, so you are left with the AEM FIC, or the 7th injector method.

They both "work", but I agree with your statement as I like that my FIC keeps it simple in regards to hardware installation, and more importantly has tip-in tuning features along with cylinder by cylinder, pulse by pulse correction, and by doing it via injector duty cycle, not MAF, the tuning is easy and cold start, hot start etc are all still like factory. It piggies on the OE ECU's injector duty cycle, so you know each cylinder's fueling needs are met, vs an injector much further upstream trying to handle this for every stroke event.

To each his own I suppose.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #39
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
good info, if i ever went turbo route i'd go with the AEM fuel ignition controller. however i'll never throw that much money at my truck unless a bag of it fell from the sky and landed in the bed.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #40
When I was more mod frenzy, I thought of turbo, but being a little older now, I really appreciate the TRD S/C. Its bolt-on, its fit and finish is OE quality (magnuson is an OE supplier), and the instant boost great for daily driving situations (yellow lights, passing etc). And living in Cali, its great to be CARB compliant. Smog goes without a hitch- keeping the exhaust OE, I'm not choking on my own fumes, commutes are drone free and I do not have to worry about getting reffed. And the overall thing (TRD blower, engine management kit etc) is cheaper than a turbo setup on the 5vz- so all and all, I'm a big fan of the TRD S/C and staying S/C vs. doing something custom. I bought the truck used and the previous owner had no fuel mods, ever, and it pinged at any load above atmosphere, it was nutts (IMO why he was selling). The FIC is affordable, and made my truck drivable in boost. Its a plus it controls larger injectors with such ease, tunes live on the fly, data logs, has a remote switch to switch between two maps and other perks.

If I had a 4cyl Tacoma, thats another story. An inline 4 with all that space and lack of power, it cries for a turbo setup. But even with that, my end goal would be to make it as stock and OE like as possible. I would mod to keep NVH as in check as possible (recirc wastegate and BOV, make an air box etc), use optimum fuel upgrades (good modern atomizing injectors, good management etc), be modest with the power goal, install or retain OE cats etc.

Products Discussed in this Thread