Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

what mods did YOU compliment YOUR supercharger with?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
what mods did YOU compliment YOUR supercharger with?

I've been reading about a few issues with the trd superchargers on gadget's webpage and have gotten some good ideas. I'll be receiving a first gen trd s/c for my 3.4L this tuesday and so far i plan to modify nose support so it will fit with the trd upgraded belt tensioner (that i plan to buy) and buy a tranny cooler.

I would like to see what other preventative/safety mods that you guys have done to your trucks to protect the life/reliability of the drain train after the added extra power of the s/c,
thanks guys!

and remember
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Your gonna get the normal stuff.

Get the URD 7th injector kit to upgrade your fuel delivery. Or the 6 injector kit if the 1st gen charger doesn't support the 7th due to EGR reasons.

Maybe a URD pulley wheel.
naturally, i would like to save up for the extra performance accessories for the s/c, but for now, i want to focus on mods that help ensure the reliability of the drive train.

that being said, do most people skip these "play it safe" type mods and have no issues? even with the extra URD goodies? Gadget took every precaution and i really like his 4runners, so i wanna see what others on TW do and/or do not do to protect the life of their toyota trucks with the s/c.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Dr. Frankenstien, in surgery
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Well the URD 7th injector kit is a saftey precaution. The extra power is more of a bonus. The stock fuel sytem often can't keep pace with the SC and it starts to ping. The extra fuel get rid of that.

You should NEVER skip any play it safe mod of whatever your referring too when boosting an engine. Especially a motor not coming boosted to begin with. You will have to keep up even more on maintenance then before to get the most out of it and keeping it safe.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Duly noted on the 7th injector, i didn't know it was for more than performance.

I work in a lube shop. Preventative maintenance is my job

U got any other safety type mod suggestions for the s/c?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
For fuel mods, a PNP AEM FIC piggyback controller which has the crucial closed loop tuning o2 scewing feature, can tune live on the fly, data log etc. FIC harness tucked in-

Almost put in a custom 7th injector setup-

But found some drop-in, PNP injectors from a supplier of mine, flow tested and matched. Figured 420cc is plenty for the TRD blower, even with E85. No pics of that install- fail.

Still need to install the 190lph pump...

Put in a huge Hayden tranny cooler pre-OE cooler so the fluid doesn't get overcooled

Put water/meth in along with a 2.2 pulley, now the tranny needs more than a cooler, but a valve body upgrade at least.

Didn't like the thought of all that extra blow-by from boost causing oily buildup in the intake system from the PCV system, so put in a Michi core catch can that comes with a bracket making it bolt-on

Catch can doing it's thang

And it kinda goes on and on. Its a horrible addiction this stuff is...
Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
By "full out" do you mean standalone? This is a piggyback, and affordable one at that.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
I'm a engine management buff so I didn't want the split second/R4 stuff, I saw the specs on the FIC and jumped on it. You can get FICs for about $360 and way cheaper used.

For a tuning novice then kits are a good thing. I wanting to piece mine together and it came along real nice.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

thanks for all the input guys! so basically i need 7th injector kit, an maf cal, ugraded tensioner, and a tranny cooler
Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Look what the fedex man brought me while i was at work.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

anyone go with a higher capacity tranny pan? steel or aluminum?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
I've never heard of a higher capacity tranny pan for this truck, but that would be one way of going about cooling the fluid down.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #19
trded is on a distinguished road

trded's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the tranny cooler and also Iridium spark plugs
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trded View Post
x2 on the tranny cooler and also Iridium spark plugs
i've heard mixed things about iridium plugs on tw. i haven't looked into em myself yet, but i'm planning to change my spark plugs and wires before every thing is finished with the s/c.

on another note, anyone running a s/c go without the "modified" slimmer crank case cover? i assume it's to keep the s/c belt from bumping into the crank case cover, but my used s/c didn't come with it... i'm slowly trying to piece together my set up!

Products Discussed in this Thread