Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3.4l TRD Supercharger rebuild

Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
3.4v6 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
3.4v6's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 3.4v6
just curious, but did you put that whole bottle of oil into the s/c?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #22
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.4v6 View Post
just curious, but did you put that whole bottle of oil into the s/c?
yes 4oz bottle
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #23
cbassd is a name known to allcbassd is a name known to allcbassd is a name known to allcbassd is a name known to allcbassd is a name known to allcbassd is a name known to all

Name: sebastian
cbassd's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=SupraT;6580964]Thought I posted this pic
[url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/313509/cat/500][

So it's that same place you drained the oil from,,, so it's just one 4oz sc oil to fill up
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #24
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Then sell it and rig a turbo set up together!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 AM   #25
Guy
neegdogdig is on a distinguished road

neegdogdig's Tacoma Gallery
awesome, sweet and delicious info. my sc was 12 year old factory installed
on the 01 taco limited editions series and it making some weir noise once my rpm reached 3k as i accelerate sound like some air leak or something flapping inside the sc. can you educate me of what the stuffs that i need to change and where to buy? thanks, appreciated.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #26
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
^^This sounds really similar to what I just began experiencing last night. I'm afraid to drive it in that condition. Hope to get some further insight into it.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #27
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice! Thanks for the info. I need to do this to mine.. :/ Anyone know what could be causing an odd sound from my S/C? When I am accelerating it sounds and feels great, has a nice whine to it, but when I am just cruising at a constant speed and not pushing it, it makes a kind of pulsing noise? Like maybe a bearing is going out? Ill try and get a video of it so you can hear the sound.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #28
Guy
neegdogdig is on a distinguished road

neegdogdig's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=cbassd;6581752]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraT View Post
Thought I posted this pic
[url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/313509/cat/500][

So it's that same place you drained the oil from,,, so it's just one 4oz sc oil to fill up
this is the same trd sc as mine, when you rebuilt yours do you replace the manifold gasket?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #29
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neegdogdig View Post
awesome, sweet and delicious info. my sc was 12 year old factory installed
on the 01 taco limited editions series and it making some weir noise once my rpm reached 3k as i accelerate sound like some air leak or something flapping inside the sc. can you educate me of what the stuffs that i need to change and where to buy? thanks, appreciated.
Sorry was camping Can you post a video of this sound? Does it only happen when driving or when you rev it up to? Have you ever replaced your clutch by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmarshall1 View Post
^^This sounds really similar to what I just began experiencing last night. I'm afraid to drive it in that condition. Hope to get some further insight into it.
Working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohler View Post
Very nice! Thanks for the info. I need to do this to mine.. :/ Anyone know what could be causing an odd sound from my S/C? When I am accelerating it sounds and feels great, has a nice whine to it, but when I am just cruising at a constant speed and not pushing it, it makes a kind of pulsing noise? Like maybe a bearing is going out? Ill try and get a video of it so you can hear the sound.
Post up a video and I will try my best to diagnose

[QUOTE=neegdogdig;6805739]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbassd View Post
this is the same trd sc as mine, when you rebuilt yours do you replace the manifold gasket?
I replaced mine just because I had one laying around, I say if its not damaged clean it up and reuse it
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #30
Milota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilota95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Quintin
Milota95's Tacoma Gallery
very very educational
Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #31
jhaines is on a distinguished road
Name: james
jhaines's Tacoma Gallery
supercharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraT View Post
I have done a lot of research on this subject and there is not a whole lot out there, so I figured I would share my experience. First off this whole procedure would be a lot easier with a big press but I didn't have one so this is what I used.

I ordered new nose seal, couplier, bearings, gasket maker and super charger oil from:
http://rollingperformance.com/index.htm

First off I removed the SC from the truck and set it on the work bench.

Remove the drain plug on the front of the unit next to the pulley, with an allen wrench.

Tip forward and drain oil out, as you can see mine is dark in color and smelled terrible. Guessing it really needed changed

Next loosen the bolts around the housing.

I loosened all the bolts about an inch, then I pried the nose drive from the housing and tipped it over onto a rag to remove the last of the oil.

Then remove the rest of the bolts and remove the nose drive.

Now on to removing the rotor assy from the housing by prying on the three different notches.

Once the rotor assy is removed you can see the two rear bearings.

This next process would be a lot easier with a press. I improvised and found the end of my 1/2 inch extension was the same OD than the bearing. So I then beat them out of the rear.

I froze the rear bearings and used the back of a socket to beat the bearings back in. If you have never done anything like this before make sure that you are going in straight.

Apply gasket maker, do not use this much it was overkill and it got all over the place. All you need is a small bead around the inner lip. Then put the rotor assy back in. And install the new coupler.

Now the nose assy. I used a punch, hammer, and a couple pieces of wood to remove the nose shaft.

Remove the clip holding the seal in and then flip the housing over and I used a 1/2 inch ext and a socket to remove the outer bearing and seal.

After bearing and seal are removed, remove spring from the shaft assy and put the shaft back in the housing place on wood again and with punch beat the shaft thru the bearing and couplier piece ( Did not take a picture of this process) Would be a lot easier to take it to a shop and get it pressed off and new one pressed on.

Install new front bearing. And reinstall the nose shaft and bearings.

Apply gasket maker and put nose assy back on. Loc-tight bolts and tighten, then fill with 4 oz super charger oil and put drain plug back in and reinstall on the truck.

Hope this helps anyone looking to do a full rebuild, and feel free to contact me with questions.

P.S. Sorry about the spelling
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #32
jhaines is on a distinguished road
Name: james
jhaines's Tacoma Gallery
supercharger rebuild

have 2001 3.4 prerunner; just bought used supercharger; do you have to replace the injectors to make it operate properly?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the write-up! just used this to rebuild my new (used) supercharger.

on the step you didn't get a picture of, i used a 3-jaw gear puller to remove the second bearing and couple from the nose drive shaft. worked quite well.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #34
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
I remember sometime ago finding a sales page that sells "upgraded" ceramic bearings- can't find it now. Anyone have experience with these "upgraded" bearings? Thinking I'll go past the 2.1 pulley and go 2.0 if the bearings are good for it. Been rocking E85 and so now intake air temps and all that jazz just doesn't matter- more boost, more power, no need to retard timing or none of that.

Maybe its a bad sign rolling performance used to have them, now they don't?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #35
markhanson is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
markhanson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
I remember sometime ago finding a sales page that sells "upgraded" ceramic bearings- can't find it now. Anyone have experience with these "upgraded" bearings? Thinking I'll go past the 2.1 pulley and go 2.0 if the bearings are good for it. Been rocking E85 and so now intake air temps and all that jazz just doesn't matter- more boost, more power, no need to retard timing or none of that.

Ceramic bearings were suppose to be the next big thing but they seemed to always break at least in motocross.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #36
DAMOS is on a distinguished road

DAMOS's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.rollingperformance.com/snoutkits.htm
towards the bottom of the page. hope the are better... cuz I just ordered some last week
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #37
Tacoma Lover

SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post
have 2001 3.4 prerunner; just bought used supercharger; do you have to replace the injectors to make it operate properly?
You need either a seventh injector or bigger injectors, check out URD.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
thanks for the write-up! just used this to rebuild my new (used) supercharger.

on the step you didn't get a picture of, i used a 3-jaw gear puller to remove the second bearing and couple from the nose drive shaft. worked quite well.
Used the same thing works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post

Read a lot about the whole ceramic bearing thing and I decided to not do it, its not worth the price and the SC is only capable of so much PSI, you are not going to gain anything (power wise) with switching.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #38
hrt4me is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: 1811
hrt4me's Tacoma Gallery
good info, thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #39
duckfamily is on a distinguished road
Name: Charles
duckfamily's Tacoma Gallery
Can you change the SC oil without removing the unit? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #40
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
if you have a 2nd gen (black) supercharger, you can use a syringe with some tubing to suction out the oil in the nose drive and then inject the new oil in. takes 4 oz.