Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3.4l TRD Supercharger rebuild

Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #41
jhaines is on a distinguished road
Name: james
jhaines's Tacoma Gallery
tacoma trans

do not know if i'm in the rite place, but would like to know if anyone has trouble shifting an auto trans 2001 prerunner after installing a throttle body spacer?
tom
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #42
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfamily View Post
Can you change the SC oil without removing the unit? Thanks in advance.
I tried to suck it out, but decided to just take the nose cone assy off, since there is no way to know that you got all of the oil out and did not want to overfill
Old 06-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #43
duckfamily is on a distinguished road
Name: Charles
duckfamily's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the information.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #44
TuckyTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Brad
TuckyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up. I'm in the decision crisis mode for a performance upgrade right now on my 2000 taco. browsing forums and learning all I can about superchargers and turbos and pros, cons and prices of both. Great info here. Sub'd.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #45
I'm sorry for going off topic, but has anybody used the URD 2.2" supercharger pulley for the 3.4L engine ? I understand that you will gain about another 20 hp. If so, did you have to re-do the fuel map or add a 7th injector, bigger fuel pump... You get the idea? I have a 04 Tacoma double cab dealer installed TRD supercharger. I'm the third owner and don't know what exactly the dealer did with the TRD supercharger other than it was installed when the truck was brand new. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #46
Senior Lurker
jacky_bubbles will become famous soon enough

jacky_bubbles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfamily View Post
I'm sorry for going off topic, but has anybody used the URD 2.2" supercharger pulley for the 3.4L engine ? I understand that you will gain about another 20 hp. If so, did you have to re-do the fuel map or add a 7th injector, bigger fuel pump... You get the idea? I have a 04 Tacoma double cab dealer installed TRD supercharger. I'm the third owner and don't know what exactly the dealer did with the TRD supercharger other than it was installed when the truck was brand new. Thanks in advance.
I'd definitely run the entire URD 7th or a bigger injector kit if you decided to get the 2.2 pulley Duck.. I was pinging enough with just the stock pulley!

Also, you can change the oil pretty easy without removing the SC if you unscrew the fill plug and drop a CLEAN squirt bottle pump and hose in and squirt most of the oil out.. but like SupraT sez.. You won't get ALL the oil, but you'll get most of it

-Bubs
Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #47
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
just so you guys know these guys port and polish blowers they also have other power enhancing options aswell
http://www.stiegemeier.com
Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #48
Bubs, thanks for the insight. I hope to snap some pics of the Taco and share on this forum.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #49
DesertRatliff will become famous soon enoughDesertRatliff will become famous soon enough

DesertRatliff's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP:

I'm doing research on how to install the rear needle bearings of the S/C. I want to get it right (the thought of having those needle bearings fail and enter the intake of the motor keeps me up at night).

Question is, are you pleased with the results of freezing and pounding them in? Any noise 4 odd months after your rebuild? Anything you would do differently if you could do it over?

I'll use a press, but I just can't seem to find the correct installer tool for this bearing without having something machined.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #50
DAMOS is on a distinguished road

DAMOS's Tacoma Gallery
I froze mine. they go in easier. no pounding needed tappy tap tap in. Freezing bearing is a normal practice
Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #51
DesertRatliff will become famous soon enoughDesertRatliff will become famous soon enough

Perfect. Mine are in the freezer as I type. Rear needle bearings are out and after some fresh paint and a little clean-up, I'll be ready to rebuild. Thanks for the confidence booster!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #52

DAMOS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatliff View Post
Perfect. Mine are in the freezer as I type. Rear needle bearings are out and after some fresh paint and a little clean-up, I'll be ready to rebuild. Thanks for the confidence booster!
So how did the rebuild go?

I snapped a bolt when I was putting the nose cone back on.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #53

This "simple" project has been fighting me all the way.

Turns out I ordered the wrong bearing, so got that taken care of (excellent customer service by Rolling Performance, by the way) but while pressing the new bearings onto the shaft, they slipped off the press and into the dirt of my friend's barn floor. One is especially gritty, even after a thorough cleaning, so I just sucked up my pride and ordered new bearings from RP.

Chaulk another one up for "lessons learned". I just wish I could stop learning things the hard way.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #54

DAMOS's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks but I know what you mean. my truck went back to the stock intake during my rebuild. I knew something would go wrong.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #55
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about picking up a used supercharger and doing this
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #56
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroman5015 View Post
Thinking about picking up a used supercharger and doing this
You'll be glad you did!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #57

I agree. After a few hiccups and a silly learning curve, my truck runs awesome. I should have done this years ago.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #58
cwieland is on a distinguished road
cwieland's Tacoma Gallery
More oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraT View Post
I tried to suck it out, but decided to just take the nose cone assy off, since there is no way to know that you got all of the oil out and did not want to overfill
Am I missing something? after sucking out what you can get is there a reason you can not take the nose off while it's installed to get the rest of the oil?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #59
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Few of the lower bolts can be challenging to get at while installed and there will be added mess to the engine once you pull it of. But do-able.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #60
cwieland is on a distinguished road
cwieland's Tacoma Gallery
And just to make sure I understand the oil is only in the nose cone. The bearings for the vanes are pre-lubed? or dry?. That seems tough if the back ones are needle bearings.