Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3.4l TRD Supercharger rebuild

Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #121
gray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to behold

gray223's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoy View Post

I get 15-16 in town on 35's and 6" of lift.
I hardly get that in my 2.7!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #122
It's about to get real!!!
rctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: konstantenos
rctoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray223 View Post
I hardly get that in my 2.7!
I dont get much better on the free way though. i can do 100mph but not get any better millage.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #123
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray223 View Post
What mpg does everyone see with the s/c and 91 octane. I would love to have a s/c in a future truck but not really thrilled about having to pay more fore gas.
If your truck is running good when you install the SC you will only loose a mile per gallon, I just did a very complete tune up and I am running average 19mpg, I'm running 3 inch lift and 33x12.50's
Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #124
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraT View Post
If your truck is running good when you install the SC you will only loose a mile per gallon, I just did a very complete tune up and I am running average 19mpg, I'm running 3 inch lift and 33x12.50's
You shouldnt drop at all but improve your milage provided you can keep your foot out of the skinny pedal
Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #125
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthyota View Post
You shouldnt drop at all but improve your milage provided you can keep your foot out of the skinny pedal
Don't know about you all, but I know the skinny all to well
Old 03-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #126
DJKlitz is on a distinguished road
DJKlitz's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice guide. This puts some insight into if I want to rebuild myself or not...
Old 04-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #127
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Remove the clip holding the seal in and then flip the housing over and I used a 1/2 inch ext and a socket to remove the outer bearing and seal.

After bearing and seal are removed, remove spring from the shaft assy and put the shaft back in the housing place on wood again and with punch beat the shaft thru the bearing and couplier piece ( Did not take a picture of this process) Would be a lot easier to take it to a shop and get it pressed off and new one pressed on.

Install new front bearing. And reinstall the nose shaft and bearings.
Thanks for the write up! This will definitely help out with my rebuild I'm going to do. I had a question though. The above bold part is where I'm a bit confused. So you put the shaft back into the housing and what bearing are you beating the shaft through? The front bearing or the rear bearing closer to the back end of the shaft?

I don't have access to a press and may go the same route as you with a punch. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #128
It's about to get real!!!
rctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: konstantenos
rctoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthyota View Post
Yeah first time you hear that bad boy whine it's impossible to let out of it i think i got 8 MPG's my first take after the install.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #129
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
Can the rear needle bearings be replaced without removing the charger from the engine? I was thinking maybe shove a rag in the intake just in case the bearings are free.

Also what about the needle bearings in the front of the rotors near the gears. Did you replace those too or did you just grease them more and decide to not change those?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #130
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigglewiggle60 View Post
Can the rear needle bearings be replaced without removing the charger from the engine? I was thinking maybe shove a rag in the intake just in case the bearings are free.

Also what about the needle bearings in the front of the rotors near the gears. Did you replace those too or did you just grease them more and decide to not change those?
I honestly cant see how and or it would be so much hassle and risk, Its just not that hard to remove it and do it all on the bench. usually the front bearing wear first so "I" would either do the fronts only or all at once.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #131
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
Are the front and rear bearings holding the rotors the same?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #132
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Has anyone replaced the rotor pack bearings and seals? If so, where did you get the seals at?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #133
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
stiegemeier can get them if they don't have them in stock. they also offer rebuilds and much more
Old 04-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #134
4runner Troll

Thanks, I emailed them.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #135
Tacoma Lover

SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
Has anyone replaced the rotor pack bearings and seals? If so, where did you get the seals at?
Or jonbond.com, they have everything you need to do a complete rebuild
Old 06-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #136
Sconnie
mudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
mudthedoor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Or jonbond.com, they have everything you need to do a complete rebuild
https://jonbondperformance.com/

Lol the other was a stationary blog lol
Old 07-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #137
Maineiac Mike is on a distinguished road
Maineiac Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation New Tacoma owner, s/c needs rebuild

Hey All,
Just bought a '99 Tacoma with 216,000 miles on it, and it sounds like the supercharger needs a rebuild bad. I have been told by two of my mechanic buds that I probably shouldn't drive it until I rebuild it. After reading through this forum, I believe that I have the first gen charger (it is silver, and the part # on the sticker is 00602-17620-001). Wondering if the parts on rollingperformance will fit it, since the rebuild pictured was a second gen charger. Hoping it doesn't need more than an oil change/bearings/gaskets shown in the rebuild, but thinking it might. Is there any way to tell before I open it up? You can feel vibration if you rest your hand on top of the charger, not real bad but definitely there. Also making noise that sounds almost like a diesel. Not nearly as loud, but you can hear it in the cab if you're sitting still with all the accessories off. Please help! I need to get this thing driveable ASAP so I can sell my Corolla and be making only one car payment.
Attached Thumbnails
3.4l TRD Supercharger rebuild-image.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 AM   #138
CrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Assaultman 2/5
Name: Joe
CrunchyTaco99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac Mike View Post
Hey All,
Just bought a '99 Tacoma with 216,000 miles on it, and it sounds like the supercharger needs a rebuild bad. I have been told by two of my mechanic buds that I probably shouldn't drive it until I rebuild it. After reading through this forum, I believe that I have the first gen charger (it is silver, and the part # on the sticker is 00602-17620-001). Wondering if the parts on rollingperformance will fit it, since the rebuild pictured was a second gen charger. Hoping it doesn't need more than an oil change/bearings/gaskets shown in the rebuild, but thinking it might. Is there any way to tell before I open it up? You can feel vibration if you rest your hand on top of the charger, not real bad but definitely there. Also making noise that sounds almost like a diesel. Not nearly as loud, but you can hear it in the cab if you're sitting still with all the accessories off. Please help! I need to get this thing driveable ASAP so I can sell my Corolla and be making only one car payment.
Any idea how long the supercharger has been on there?

Not sure if parts are interchangeable between first and second gen.

I can feel the rotors spinning in mine. It is not horrible bit noticeable. You should feel something as the way the rotors mesh together in this supercharger is not completely smooth at idle. You get kind of a rattle sound until you rev it. My understanding is that the rotors are "straight cut" and have a loose tolerance. I may be absolutely wrong but I read that somewhere.

It would be safe to assume it needs a rebuild if has been on there for more than a 100k miles.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #139
CrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Assaultman 2/5
Name: Joe
CrunchyTaco99's Tacoma Gallery
3.4l TRD Supercharger rebuild

Any of you that have pulled your rotors found the Teflon coating worn?

I have 110k miles on mine. I about to pull it off one truck to put on another and plan to rebuild it first. I put a new nose cone on it 20k miles ago so I am gonna leave that alone. Plan on replacing the rear bearing, replacing the nose cone oil, and checking the rotors. Looked a couple of times at sending it off to get checked but was told the same thing as the OP, anywhere from $300 to $1200 if the rotors were worn. So wondering if any of you have actually seen significant wear on the rotors?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #140
Maineiac Mike is on a distinguished road
Maineiac Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyTaco99 View Post
Any idea how long the supercharger has been on there?

Not sure if parts are interchangeable between first and second gen.

I can feel the rotors spinning in mine. It is not horrible bit noticeable. You should feel something as the way the rotors mesh together in this supercharger is not completely smooth at idle. You get kind of a rattle sound until you rev it. My understanding is that the rotors are "straight cut" and have a loose tolerance. I may be absolutely wrong but I read that somewhere.

It would be safe to assume it needs a rebuild if has been on there for more than a 100k miles.
I am not sure how long the s/c has been installed. The dealer I got it from bought it at auction and there is no paperwork to go with it. I am going through the whole truck to be safe. S/C rebuild, flushing and changing all fluids, replacing timing belt, the whole shabang. I'm not taking any chances because this is going to be my daily driver for quite some time. The frame and body are completely rust free, which is unheard of where I live. I emailed the guys at rollingperformance this morning, I will post any useful info I get. Thanks for the info though, I feel a bit better about the noise level