Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Akebono front brake pads part number? (too many variations) for 1st gen

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Akebono front brake pads part number? (too many variations) for 1st gen

I'm about to change the front brake pads on my 2004 Taco. Looks pretty easy, pop off the the spring that holds the 2 pins, remove the pins, wiggle out the old pads, squeeze the pistons to make space to drop in the new pads and put it all back together.

I've done a bit of research and Akebono seems to be a good choice (I have this brand on my wife's Sienna swaggerwagon and happy with them) that I plan to install on my taco OEM Toyota calipers.

The Problem: a couple of people have reported issues of the pads not fitting properly due to ordering the wrong part # yet Akebono site says it will fit wth?

Here's what I found after searching numerous online vendors: (All are labeled Akebono ProACT Ultra-premium ceramic)
For the 2004 Toyota Tacoma-

ACT799 (looks squarish)
ACT436 (looks squarish)
ACT589 (has round edges)

Has anyone here install a set successfully with the right fit on a 2001-04 tacoma? If so, of the three I listed above, which part # did you purchase?

Thanks a bunch!
-Oly
Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I did some further research on this and found out the following:

ACT589 is designed for 1 piston setups.

ACT436 is designed for 4 piston setups.

My rig has 4 pistons so I'm going to take the risk and order the ACT436. I guess it's the ACT589 that people were complain about in regards to fitment.

I'll report back if I was able to install the ACT436 successfully so that others can avoid ordering the wrong part #.

-Oly
Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Pauhana is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Pauhana's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the 436 and 799 are the same part. I used the Centric pads and their part# is 436.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #4

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
ACT436 fits like a glove

I'm happy to report the Akebono ACT436 brake pads fit like a glove! I tested them out and love them!!

Akebono on the top in the pic, already has the metal backing and the old pad on the bottom for comparison. They both match and look squarish.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
TeamRooR is on a distinguished road

Name: Phil
TeamRooR's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting!! This really helped make my decision! Way to many brands to pick from out there!! I am ordering off rockauto.com for $33.79 (before shipping & 5% DISCOUNT)