1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

maf location

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by obie3, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Mar 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    obie3

obie3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    K&N air filter
    I have a 02 pre-runner 3.4. Where is the amf located and how do I go about cleaning it and the throttle body. Thanks

2. Mar 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    mmcmahan2206

mmcmahan2206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    McCall, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L
    6" FabTech suspension 3" body lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG AT T/A KO tires, Mickey Thompson Sidebiter wheels, 4:88 front and rear gears, e-locker, "grey wire mod," Hella driving lights retroed to 55w 8000K HIDs, custom grill, Downey chrome air intake w/ AEM filter, AirAid throttle body spacer, Flowmaster exhaust, Alpine audio w/ 12" RF sub, racing bucket seats, black powdercoated toolbox, smoked out black taillights, black headlamps and corners, red LED interior lights, sway bar removed, rear shock relocation, u-bolt flip mod, 01 center console, Relentless Fab front plate bumper, LED fog lights.
    The MAF sensor is located on the outside of your intake tube right behind the air intake box (I hope that makes sense). To clean it, remove the sensor and spray MAF Cleaner directly on it, and allow it to air dry (you might do this a couple times depending on how dirty it is). Then just reinstall the MAF sensor, and wa-la!
    Now, a fuel system service is a smart thing to do (recommended every 36k miles), but requires specific tools to do correctly, so take it to a shop. Here at the shop I work at, we use Valvoline Professional Series Fuel System Service. What we do: (1) Attach cleaning tools to the fuel system, (2) Clean deposits from fuel injectors, (3) Remove deposit build-up from intake valves, (4) Clean combustion chamber deposits, and (5) Remove deposits from the entire air intake system. What it does: (1) Increases power and performance, (2) Reduces knocking, hesitation and rough idle, (3) Restore fuel economy, and (4) Decreases harmful emissions.
    Have fun and good luck! :)

3. Mar 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    obie3

obie3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    K&N air filter
    Thanks, I should have said that there is a K&N filter system on it and I'm going to take out the K&N conical filter and replace with a paper filter from Amsoil.

4. Mar 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    K&N's work fine with MAF as long as you don't over oil them. Which most people do over oil.

5. Mar 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    obie3

obie3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    K&N air filter
    So where is the maf located on the K&N filter? Also where do I find the cleaner for it, at any auto store?

6. Mar 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    mmcmahan2206

mmcmahan2206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    McCall, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L
    6" FabTech suspension 3" body lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG AT T/A KO tires, Mickey Thompson Sidebiter wheels, 4:88 front and rear gears, e-locker, "grey wire mod," Hella driving lights retroed to 55w 8000K HIDs, custom grill, Downey chrome air intake w/ AEM filter, AirAid throttle body spacer, Flowmaster exhaust, Alpine audio w/ 12" RF sub, racing bucket seats, black powdercoated toolbox, smoked out black taillights, black headlamps and corners, red LED interior lights, sway bar removed, rear shock relocation, u-bolt flip mod, 01 center console, Relentless Fab front plate bumper, LED fog lights.
    Well I have a cone shaped K&N with a Downey chrome intake tube, and my MAF sensor is located same as stock would be. So if it's not there... I dono where it would be hidden! :eek:

7. Mar 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    mudpuppet

mudpuppet Must pay wife for safe passage

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Somewhere between where Arizona blows and Texas su
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Mist Metallic 03 Taco, X-CAB 4X4 TRD
    American Racing 16X8 Bully Nerf Bars, Toytec 3" w/ Eibach Coils 5100's, Dakars, Poly steering bushings, billet x-cab window latch, XM, trenz billet upper grille, billet lower grille, TRD Skid Plate
    As for the throttle body cleaning here are a few links I used to clean mine.

http://www.4runners.org/writeups/throttle/index.html
    http://www.top4runners.com/ja/cleantb.html

My 2003 has a coolant line that runs through the Throttle body. I cut small gatorade cups to catch the coolant as it drained. Probably a couple ounces. Definitely use approved throttle body cleaner, I pulled the EFI relay. Took several starts and driving before the computer reset my RPM's. I started around 2K at idle and ended up back at the normal 800 rpm. Not a hard project, just take you time and clean thoroughly clean without scratching to touching the inside of the throttle body. I used Q-tips for those hard to reach spots.

8. Mar 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    obie3

obie3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    K&N air filter
    Thanks guys- cleaned out and check engine light is off.

Products Discussed in

To Top