LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Have a 5VZ-FE,2RZ-FE or 3RZ-FE that needs a valve adjustment?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #21
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGosen View Post
Mine is idling a bit ruff and I tried cleaning maff and changed filters and nothing has helped..Guess maybe I better go spend another few hundred on this damn thing lol
Better to be safe. My boss messed around with fuel system cleaner for a couple of months thinking he knew better than a mechanic. Cost him a valve job. Not trying to scare you into spending money, but it does happen.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #22
RGosen is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1st Battalion
Name: Christ would now agree, don't get yourself nailed to a tree
RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Better to be safe. My boss messed around with fuel system cleaner for a couple of months thinking he knew better than a mechanic. Cost him a valve job. Not trying to scare you into spending money, but it does happen.
Yea thats vary true to be more on the safe side when it comes to a motor job if ur not lol
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #23

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I've read on ttora that you should at least check the 3rz. They are known to need them supposedly.. I haven't checked mine ever, and I fear it every time I start it something will happen. I am going to check them this year tho... 165k miles.

I just had a michanic tell me if the valves are not noisy to not waste your money gettting them checked. and this is a person who uaually wants your money lol So now I am getting confused here and I explained eveything to him about it being the 3rz 2.7 and how people seem to have issues with them, and he assured me its no issue unless you hear a lot of ticking.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
dismember
Supertramp has a spectacular aura aboutSupertramp has a spectacular aura aboutSupertramp has a spectacular aura about

Supertramp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just had a michanic tell me if the valves are not noisy to not waste your money gettting them checked. and this is a person who uaually wants your money lol So now I am getting confused here and I explained eveything to him about it being the 3rz 2.7 and how people seem to have issues with them, and he assured me its no issue unless you hear a lot of ticking.
I've owned a 97 4Runner, 2004 DC, 2002 DC, and now have a 2002 ext cab, all with the 3.4. Never had ANY trouble with them. Never had the valves checked and most had over 200k when I sold them.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ToyoTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
A little info for you on the 3rz, when the valves need adjusted they don't get noisy they get tighter. Their clearances get tighter and tighter. On most 3rz engines I believe it is the exhaust valves that need adjusted. So it might still be a good idea to get them checked.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoTaco02 View Post
A little info for you on the 3rz, when the valves need adjusted they don't get noisy they get tighter. Their clearances get tighter and tighter. On most 3rz engines I believe it is the exhaust valves that need adjusted. So it might still be a good idea to get them checked.
X2

As the valve wear, they sink into the valve seats farther and farther. That brings the clearances tighter, and there will be less ticking type noise from the engine.

When I had my valves on my 22R set too tight, there was no ticking noise, it was quiet.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #27

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up ..I called the toyota dealers in town and they said they have never even done one on my motor lol And it would cost around $600 to check them...The cheapest I can get it checked for is $450..jesus is there any way to check these damn things other than spending this kind of cash ? I may just sell the damn thing as I just cant sink more money into this fn truck.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #28

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
3rz valve adjust

Ok so I am going to attempt to check my valves myself as I am not going to pay the ammmount everyone wants to do it..anyone who has done this on my motor the 2000 3rz 2.7 please give me some advise ..I am going to go buy the tools needed I just want to make sure I do it correctly. I am using the link below as ref as they say its the same for the 3rz ..I just want to make sure it is. any tips would be great.. thanks
http://www.yotatech.com/f128/5vz-fe-...t-tech-226997/
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up ..I called the toyota dealers in town and they said they have never even done one on my motor lol And it would cost around $600 to check them...The cheapest I can get it checked for is $450..jesus is there any way to check these damn things other than spending this kind of cash ? I may just sell the damn thing as I just cant sink more money into this fn truck.
When I asked to have this done the head of service laughed at me and said that it does not need to be done. He said they have never heard of exhaust valves being burnt on the 3rz. I don't think they have ever checked anybody else's valves but mine. I remember now and they charged me $199. I get mine checked because I don't want to experience the horror stories as some people have.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #30

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When I asked to have this done the head of service laughed at me and said that it does not need to be done. He said they have never heard of exhaust valves being burnt on the 3rz. I don't think they have ever checked anybody else's valves but mine. I remember now and they charged me $199. I get mine checked because I don't want to experience the horror stories as some people have.
Let us know how it goes.

If I could get mine done for that cheap I would let them do it but I called around and its more than double that price and they all say they have never done one and that they are not needed to be done..But Now I want to be sure as well
Old 03-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #31

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Well I found a mechanic that will check the exhaust valves for a more reasonable price and willing to show me how. So I am just waiting for this snow to stop and I will be able to check these myself the next time its needed to be. I just hope they are in spec because it sill cost me $250 if some are needed to be changed out. But just the check will be $100. I will post back when ive done it with results for others to know that are like me and worry about this type of thing lol
Old 03-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #32

That's a good deal. Report back with your findings.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #33

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's a good deal. Report back with your findings.
So did the valve check today and the intake valves are fine but the exhaust ones are all out except for one. they are at 0.08or 0.09 of an inch which is below spec and so I may as well get them done before they start to wear out the cam lobes and burn the exhaust valves. so there goes another $450 lol
Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #34

How many miles are you at?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #35

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How many miles are you at?
Im at 162,000 miles
Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #36

Did you also say that you were experiencing rough idle or any other signs? I'm at 163,xxx and was just wondering if you had any signs.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #37
xcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
xcmtb83's Tacoma Gallery
You must mean 8 or 9 hundredths of a millimeter right? 8 or 9 hundredths of an inch would be a insanely out of tolerance. In fact even 8 or 9 thousandths would be quite a ways out but conceivable. Either way good job for checking them. After 156k on my 3.4 liter they were finally checked and they were all in spec. I only changed out one shim because it was right on the tight side for the intake. I only changed it because I happened to have 24 of them in various sizes that I took off of a 4Runner at the salvage yard. It is really nice having a variety of sizes when you perform this task so you can knock it all out in one day.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #38

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did you also say that you were experiencing rough idle or any other signs? I'm at 163,xxx and was just wondering if you had any signs.
Yes I do have a bit of ruff idle but that could be plugs or wires even. I just wanted to check the exhast valves because I read its a good idea to
Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #39

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmtb83 View Post
You must mean 8 or 9 hundredths of a millimeter right? 8 or 9 hundredths of an inch would be a insanely out of tolerance. In fact even 8 or 9 thousandths would be quite a ways out but conceivable. Either way good job for checking them. After 156k on my 3.4 liter they were finally checked and they were all in spec. I only changed out one shim because it was right on the tight side for the intake. I only changed it because I happened to have 24 of them in various sizes that I took off of a 4Runner at the salvage yard. It is really nice having a variety of sizes when you perform this task so you can knock it all out in one day.
Well the michanic said they are about 0.02" below the tightest spec on the hood with the exhast valves but the intake ones were fine.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #40
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I think getting your valve clearances checked on a toyota truck is a bit overboard. Unless you have very high mileage.

I have NEVER heard of anyone checking or adjusting the valves in their toyota truck unless they were having major issues.

If you are having some issues with a rough idle, there are many more simple things that are probably wrong. (IE...MAF sesnor, IAC valve, vacuum leaks, old plugs/wires, EGR....