Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Have a 5VZ-FE,2RZ-FE or 3RZ-FE that needs a valve adjustment?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
RGosen is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1st Battalion
Name: Christ would now agree, don't get yourself nailed to a tree
RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Have a 5VZ-FE,2RZ-FE or 3RZ-FE that needs a valve adjustment?

Have a 5VZ-FE,2RZ-FE or 3RZ-FE that needs a valve adjustment? Has anyone ever cracked a head due to the valve adjustment being out on the above motors ? I am really getting tired of reading more and more things about these trucks that need to be done lol
Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Nope i have not heard that. These engines are great. Only engine that has been known to have issues is the 3.0L V6.

Whats the problem?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ToyoTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
It depends how much mileage is on it but since I passed 100,000 miles on my 3rz, I take my truck in and get my valve clearances checked every 25,000 miles. I now have 162,000 miles and I still haven't had to have the shims changed out. If you do some research there are some stories out there about burnt valves on some engines that go unchecked.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #4

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
Nope i have not heard that. These engines are great. Only engine that has been known to have issues is the 3.0L V6.

Whats the problem?

Oh I am just having a idle problem once warmed up it will go from under 800 rpms and then rev up to about 1200 and then back to about 800 over and over every 10 seconds. And the idle has never been all that good it has an erratic idle you can feel when it goes below the 1000 rpms. and so I started looking and reading and keep coming across things that need to be done to these motors such as the valve hight or it can crack your block and ruin your motor and im just getting fkustered about all the things these motors need. But that is my known issue is the idle issue I cant tell about the valves
Old 03-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #5

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoTaco02 View Post
It depends how much mileage is on it but since I passed 100,000 miles on my 3rz, I take my truck in and get my valve clearances checked every 25,000 miles. I now have 162,000 miles and I still haven't had to have the shims changed out. If you do some research there are some stories out there about burnt valves on some engines that go unchecked.
Just what I was not wanting to do lol what did it cost you to get them checked ?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I took mine to the dealership and I think it was around $150 or so. I also had a new valve cover gasket put on at the same time. If you have a mechanic you trust use them. I've heard it isn't that hard to do.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #7

You might want to check your throttle position sensor or your idle air control valve. Also when was the last time hour MAF sensor was cleaned? Have you changed spark plugs? Start with the simple things first.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #8

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You might want to check your throttle position sensor or your idle air control valve. Also when was the last time hour MAF sensor was cleaned? Have you changed spark plugs? Start with the simple things first.

Oh ok I may get it checked at the dealers, as I have pretty well done everything els but that and the rotors on the thing lol I will have to start with the simple things as you say for the idle issue.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #9

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Wow out of everyone on here no one has done the valve adjustment on any of these motors and have high kms and they are still running strong ? I am starting to think there is no need to spend the cash to get them checked even.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Just go by KISS - Keep it simple, stupid. (For the record, i'm not calling you stupid...)

Start with the small things mentioned above. Also, look at your valve covers/Cyl heads, Are you leaking oil slowly? No need to dig in that deep until you've changed the easy/cheap stuff and verified you have other gremlins.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblCabMN View Post
Just go by KISS - Keep it simple, stupid. (For the record, i'm not calling you stupid...)

Start with the small things mentioned above. Also, look at your valve covers/Cyl heads, Are you leaking oil slowly? No need to dig in that deep until you've changed the easy/cheap stuff and verified you have other gremlins.

Ok I got ya lol
Nope not even leaking on the valve cover. So guess I will wait till I need something els to do with the top end needed if that ever happens
Old 03-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
I'm at 168ish and haven't checked my valves. I'll check them at 180.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGosen View Post
Wow out of everyone on here no one has done the valve adjustment on any of these motors and have high kms and they are still running strong ? I am starting to think there is no need to spend the cash to get them checked even.
My dad has 333,xxx miles on his 02 doublecab 3.4 v6. Never done a thing to it other than keep the fluids and filters changed.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
I've read on ttora that you should at least check the 3rz. They are known to need them supposedly.. I haven't checked mine ever, and I fear it every time I start it something will happen. I am going to check them this year tho... 165k miles.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #15

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I've read on ttora that you should at least check the 3rz. They are known to need them supposedly.. I haven't checked mine ever, and I fear it every time I start it something will happen. I am going to check them this year tho... 165k miles.

hmm so its the one we have then lol the 3rz damn guess I will have to as well
Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #16

I've had mine checked at 125,000 and at 150,000. The last time I went Toyota told me to come back at 175,000 for an adjustment. They said I didn't need one yet but a couple of them are getting close. Even though they told me I don't need one yet I get really nervous about it every time I read a horror story about them on ttora. FYI I'm at 163,xxx miles.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #17

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've had mine checked at 125,000 and at 150,000. The last time I went Toyota told me to come back at 175,000 for an adjustment. They said I didn't need one yet but a couple of them are getting close. Even though they told me I don't need one yet I get really nervous about it every time I read a horror story about them on ttora. FYI I'm at 163,xxx miles.

Ok yea im the same way. I am always worried about something not being right as I have replaced all the major things on this truck and spent so much money I really dont want something els major to go wrong lol
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
One of our company trucks with the 2RZ burned a valve due to the valve clearance tightening up. IIRC, it was an 01 with 125K on it. I read up on it at the time, and remember something about it being common on one or two years of production. Bad batch of valves?

Never heard of it on a V6, but my mechanic, who is Toyota factory trained and has made a career of Toyota vehicles for a few decades now said they should be checked, and it's not impossible for one to need an adjustment. He also said it didn't need to be done until well over 100K. My boss had a 4Runner with the 3.4 and had his checked at 150K and it was fine. Sold it at 180K and still running perfect.

Miss my 86 with the 22R engine. Flathead screwdriver and a 12MM wrench to adjust the valves. Took maybe a half an hour. It was so simple that it just got done when I thought of it, it wasn't worth putting it off.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If it starts to idle just a tiny bit rough, take it in! If you wait, or try using fuel injector cleaner or anything like that, it will bite you in the ass.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #20

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
If it starts to idle just a tiny bit rough, take it in! If you wait, or try using fuel injector cleaner or anything like that, it will bite you in the ass.
Mine is idling a bit ruff and I tried cleaning maff and changed filters and nothing has helped..Guess maybe I better go spend another few hundred on this damn thing lol