LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Know where to get a good rebuild or JDM engine?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Know where to get a good rebuild or JDM engine?

Ok I just got the bad news. I need a new engine. Loss of compression on cylinders 2 and 3 (among other things).
I knew the news was coming just hard to take.
Anyone know where I can get a good rebuilt 2.7 engine or maybe even a JDM engine for my 1995 tacoma?
I see all kinds advertised on ebay and have no idea if any of the companies are legit or not.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran
low boy is on a distinguished road

Army: Operator
Name: Matt
low boy's Tacoma Gallery
i feel your pain cuz i'm in the same boat, i'm going through Jasper... good luck.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by low boy View Post
i feel your pain cuz i'm in the same boat, i'm going through Jasper... good luck.
Man I would love a Jasper engine. The last time I looked a Jasper engine for the tacoma was like $3000 plus the installation price.
So you are looking at aroung $5000 for an engine. Not going to happen for me.
What kind of quote did you get for a Jasper engine?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
2JZ. Don't think. Just order it and figure it out from there.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-opinions.html
Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran

low boy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
Man I would love a Jasper engine. The last time I looked a Jasper engine for the tacoma was like $3000 plus the installation price.
So you are looking at aroung $5000 for an engine. Not going to happen for me.
What kind of quote did you get for a Jasper engine?
45 hundo, w/instal for my 3.4L comes with a 3 year warranty
Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #6

Geez. $4500
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
Veteran

low boy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
Geez. $4500
i know... it sucks but i can't do it myself. i've had the truck since it was born, and i plan on keeping it forever... so i'm doing it. hopefully i'll have it back this weekend.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Buy his 3rz block, throw new pistons and bearings in it and call it a day
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=157916
Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
2JZ. Don't think. Just order it and figure it out from there.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-opinions.html
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Buy his 3rz block, throw new pistons and bearings in it and call it a day
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=157916
Jk seriously, I'd do this^^
Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles are on your 2.7? What was the cause of the bad engine?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Since your leak down test showed a bad head (valves), I would actually pull he head first and measure the bores for wear. If they're good just get a valve job on the head and call it good.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
How many miles are on your 2.7? What was the cause of the bad engine?
I am actually thinking now that its not a totally bad engine, just needs a new cylinder head.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
I would just rebuild the one I have. Can not justify spending more on a engine that cost a couple thousand more than the whole truck.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i know... it sucks but i can't do it myself. i've had the truck since it was born, and i plan on keeping it forever... so i'm doing it. hopefully i'll have it back this weekend.
Nice! I'll have the same mentality whenever something on mine breaks.

How many miles did have before your 3.4 went out? I hope it was real high.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

you could always pull one from the junkyard, have two engines to choose parts from.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
68dave is just really nice68dave is just really nice68dave is just really nice68dave is just really nice68dave is just really nice

Name: Dave
68dave's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up a complete 3.4 off of CL for 200.00, mainly for the cyl. heads for my blown up 04 taco because my heads are toast. The CL seller of the engine wanted 900.00 and he claimed that the engine was bought and never installed, but i think he installed the junkyard motor and this is the motor that came out, but for the 200.00 that i paid, after much haggling, i'm just hoping that the heads are useable. I plan on rebuilding my shortblock and have the heads from the donor engine gone thru at my local machine shop. My original plan was a jasper reman or a NW Team Yota reman, but i hope that out of the two engines that i already have that i can have one rebuilt for around 2g's. Check with your local reputable machine shop for a quote on rebuilding your engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Know where to get a good rebuild or JDM engine?-011.jpg   Know where to get a good rebuild or JDM engine?-003.jpg  
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
Veteran

low boy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
Nice! I'll have the same mentality whenever something on mine breaks.

How many miles did have before your 3.4 went out? I hope it was real high.

105,080 miles
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #18

The best price I have found is $1550 shipped for a JDM engine plus around $1200 to install it.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
got 5VZFE?

Quote:
105,080 miles
how the hell did a 5vz poop out that quickly?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
Veteran

low boy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
how the hell did a 5vz poop out that quickly?
my fault, poor lubrication, cold weather/engine...etc.