Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Another noob wants to lift his 5 lugger

Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
paquu has a spectacular aura aboutpaquu has a spectacular aura about
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
Another noob wants to lift his 5 lugger

Hey guys. I've been browsing these forums the past few days because I'm interested in lifting my 5 lug 2000 Tacoma (in attachments). I figured I'd just make an account to see if I understand things correctly. From what I've read, I can either go with a spacer kit or spindles. I've read that spindles are the better way to go, but I'm not sure why.

Here is what I think I need:

a 3" spindle lift kit, including shocks, and a rear AAL
found here:
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/toyota2.htm

a set of cragar soft 8's
(what size do you recommend?)

and some tires for these ^

What else am I missing? Do I need a differential drop? or no because its RWD. Do I need a longer brake line? What are your thoughts?

Also, would it be possible to switch to all adjustable shocks to get the lift I want? Wouldn't this be easiest?

I tried posting on the 5 lug part of the forum a couple days ago and haven't gotten an answer.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Another noob wants to lift his 5 lugger-tacoma.jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Im pretty sure the diff drop is for the front CV axles...so no I wouldn't think you'd need a diff drop.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquu View Post
Hey guys. I've been browsing these forums the past few days because I'm interested in lifting my 5 lug 2000 Tacoma (in attachments). I figured I'd just make an account to see if I understand things correctly. From what I've read, I can either go with a spacer kit or spindles. I've read that spindles are the better way to go, but I'm not sure why.

Here is what I think I need:

a 3" spindle lift kit, including shocks, and a rear AAL
found here:
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/toyota2.htm

a set of cragar soft 8's
(what size do you recommend?)

and some tires for these ^

What else am I missing? Do I need a differential drop? or no because its RWD. Do I need a longer brake line? What are your thoughts?

Also, would it be possible to switch to all adjustable shocks to get the lift I want? Wouldn't this be easiest?

I tried posting on the 5 lug part of the forum a couple days ago and haven't gotten an answer.

Thanks!

I know this really doesn't answer ur question but why not just trade it in for a prerunner? Also, diff drop is for 4x4s only
Old 03-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you'll need to extend brake lines unless you plan on wheeling, but they'll be VERY close to needing it.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
Okay great. Thank you for responses.
Unfortunately I can't trade the car in as it was a gift.
I don't plan on doing any off roading.

I'm thinking I can buy the spindles, as well as the AAL and shackle from here:
http://performancelifts.com/fabtech-...fts4130-7.html

and a pair of rear bilstein 5100's. (mine need to be replaced)

However, with 2" shackles, and 1.5" AAL's will the bilsteins even fit correctly? Would I need an adjustable 5100?

Again, this is a 5 lug '00 Tacoma
Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay great. Thank you for responses.
Unfortunately I can't trade the car in as it was a gift.
I don't plan on doing any off roading.

I'm thinking I can buy the spindles, as well as the AAL and shackle from here:
http://performancelifts.com/fabtech-...fts4130-7.html

and a pair of rear bilstein 5100's. (mine need to be replaced)

However, with 2" shackles, and 1.5" AAL's will the bilsteins even fit correctly? Would I need an adjustable 5100?

Again, this is a 5 lug '00 Tacoma
I don't think 5100's were designed to fit on 5 lug trucks.

I have no idea who makes, or where to buy extended shocks for a 5 lug, except for the fabtech ones you can buy for that kit.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
if you email or call these guys: http://downsouthmotorsports.com , they should be able to give you info on shocks.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
Will do 95 taco. Thanks.

I also found this:
http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/9.asp
a 3.5" front spindle for less than the fabtech.
I could pair this with
http://performancelifts.com/Fabtech-...-Lug-Only.html
http://www.lceperformance.com/Add-A-...-p/2050201.htm

That's 3.5" in front and back for ~507 + shocks that I will email downsouth motorsports about.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i have the doetch spindles, i didn't measure for how much lift, but i can get you hub to fender measurements tomorrow morning.
the spindles kicked the tires out a good bit, but we also put wider than stock tires on.
i also put the doetch shackle lift on the rear, it's 3''s.
Attached Thumbnails
Another noob wants to lift his 5 lugger-540629_372327836166541_309350687_n.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
Hey that'd be great. And how much larger of a tire could you have put on? I'd like mine to sit higher than that if possible. I don't know if that's just an optical illusion of the shadow underneath.

I'm also not sure if I like how much the front was pushed out. I know you said you got extra wide tires though. How much do you think the spindles pushed the wheels out? like an inch?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
from the bottom of my frame to the ground its 10 inches, the tires are 1'' bigger than stock, so with stock tires the frame would sit 9 inches above ground.

i thought i had wider tires, but i just ran the tire size calculator and my tires are the same width as stock, so part of my width is backspacing (or offset, i'll figure it out and measure later).
it sticks out ~3 inches, but that can be fixed with a slightly narrower tire, and proper backspacing (?).
my back tires are almost on the outside of the wheel well, so i can measure outside-outside and get you the difference, but i'm not sure if the front and rear are the same track width stock.

and stock tires won't work with the spindles, maybe with a small spacer. i think i rubbed on the spindle when i tried to see if they would fit.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
difference it front and rear track width is ~ 2'' each side, so the spindles kick the tires out about 2'' each side.
i'm not sure how accurate these measurements are as it's hard to measure by yourself, but they should be accurate within 1/2''.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
Well I thought ours looked close. Mine is 9" ground to bottom of frame, and mines stock. Your LIFTED height is 10"?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I thought ours looked close. Mine is 9" ground to bottom of frame, and mines stock. Your LIFTED height is 10"?
Yep, not sure if the person who used to own the truck lowered it?
There was definitely some lift when we put the spindles on.
There's another lifted 5 lugger on here, I think his username is joels98taco, we could ask him what his measurements are.
He has a 3" lift I think.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
I headed over to the customtaco forum. Someone also had a 5 lug 2WD with a fabtech 3" spindle + 1.5" coil spacer. Granted, its 1.5" larger, but from pictures alone, comparing your front lift to his, that's a very large/noticable 1.5" difference.
(picture here)
http://gyazo.com/7e73a6d76ba386ffd554a1fcb73fd83c
Old 03-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #16
paquu's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the name. I searched him real quick and found a thread on his build:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post4206275
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
sbsurfer is on a distinguished road

sbsurfer's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 98 Tacoma 2wd 5 lug a while back. I put the Fabtech 3 in spindle lift on it with some raised shackles in the rear. I wanted that prerunner look with the higher front end and it came out pretty sweet. I think i ran 30's on it, which was as big as i could go. I didn't have to mess with brake lines or anything and had no troubles with the truck after the lift. The front track does widen a bit...i will say with the larger tires and NOT regearing the rear end the truck lugged around a bit...just a heads up if it's a 4 banger.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
PRBond is on a distinguished road

Navy: USNR - Honorably Discharged in Oct. '94
Name: Patrick
PRBond's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsurfer View Post
I had a 98 Tacoma 2wd 5 lug a while back. I put the Fabtech 3 in spindle lift on it with some raised shackles in the rear. I wanted that prerunner look with the higher front end and it came out pretty sweet. I think i ran 30's on it, which was as big as i could go. I didn't have to mess with brake lines or anything and had no troubles with the truck after the lift. The front track does widen a bit...i will say with the larger tires and NOT regearing the rear end the truck lugged around a bit...just a heads up if it's a 4 banger.
Do you have pics? My younger brother also has a '98 2wd 5 lug that he's been talking about putting that exact same kit on.

For the last year I've been trying to talk him out of it, because I didn't think he was going to get the same ride quality that he's had by leaving it stock.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBond View Post
Do you have pics? My younger brother also has a '98 2wd 5 lug that he's been talking about putting that exact same kit on.

For the last year I've been trying to talk him out of it, because I didn't think he was going to get the same ride quality that he's had by leaving it stock.
I looked around for a while and couldn't find any pics, sorry man. At the time it was all I could afford and pretty much the only option for the 5 lug. When i bought the truck it had a body lift and bigger tires...the body lift had to go immediately, hence the spindle lift. I liked how it widen the front a bit and with billys the ride was pretty good. The only drawback was the gearing for me cause i left it stock and with the large tires the 4cyl lugged a bit...but not too bad. I drove that truck like that for about 60,000 miles with zero issues. If i could do it all over i would have sold the 5 lug and got a prerunner....but life's all about making mistakes
Old 04-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #20

Here's another option: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/3721748086.html
Attached Thumbnails
Another noob wants to lift his 5 lugger-taco5luglt.jpg