Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

FNG Concerned about buying

Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
greenguy is on a distinguished road
greenguy's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Update!!! Pics.... FNG Concerned about buying

CHECK OUT MY NEW TACO

Great site here. Lots of good info. I am in the market to buy a tacoma soon. I was looking at 2000-2002 mostly because of price. Im tired of high monthly car payments and for the first time ever in 12 years im without a truck. (I need to be able to get the bike to the track) There is a low miles 2000 around me but Im worried about this frame rust issue. Should I stay away? I also found an 01 and 02. Avoid them? I guess im asking for personal opinions on whether or not you would even spend the time looking at these years.

2000 4x4 auto reg cab 64k miles $10900
2001 4x4 auto xtra cab 95k miles $9800
2002 4x4 auto reg cab 70k miles $11000

Opinions? Figure i could talk them down some, plus a scion tc trade in

Here is where my truck love started. Had here for 8 years. They rusted then too

then I had a Titan and then a F150 for work.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tw!! those are pretty decent prices from wha i know/can tell.

i see no problem with looking at the 2000/2001/2002 tacomas, just make sure frame rust isnt an issue with that particular truck, since it didnt involve all of them, and you'll be good to go. the first gens are awesome trucks man. i love my 04...............and a bit better than the 06 i had.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
thanks for the quick replys! So the frame issue is not an issue with all built in those years? Only applied to a certain vin numbers?

The benefit I have is that my father is actually a service mgr at a Toyota delership. The 2000 is at a toyo delership that is about a 45 min drive from my fathers work. The other two are about 1.5 hrs (to far). He could run the vins for me though. Im not even sure if the closest one would let me take it to my dad. I would feel alot more comfortable taking it outside their place of business for an opinion.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguy View Post
thanks for the quick replys! So the frame issue is not an issue with all built in those years? Only applied to a certain vin numbers?

The benefit I have is that my father is actually a service mgr at a Toyota delership. The 2000 is at a toyo delership that is about a 45 min drive from my fathers work. The other two are about 1.5 hrs (to far). He could run the vins for me though. Im not even sure if the closest one would let me take it to my dad. I would feel alot more comfortable taking it outside their place of business for an opinion.
I would take your dad with you to look at the 2001 with the extra cab. He will be familiar with what to look for and where.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
i thought the corrosion test involved a special tool and hammer. I can look for surface rust and holes just as well
Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguy View Post

I don't think that the Toyota dealer can sell it if it had frame rust issures. I mean they have been actively trying to get them off the roads, too much of a liability there. I would definatly take your dad with you as mentioned above he will no exactly what to look for in regards to these years. Also if it is not right walk away, don't buy one just to have one, patience is tuff but so worth it in the end. Either way good luck to you and let us know how it all turns out for you.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
well i did it. I went out this weekend and went shopping. I drove about 1.5 hrs down to baltimore md. I saw online an 04 TRD 89k miles. The thing is in immaculate condition. not a scratch or dent on it. They said an older gentelman owned at their dealership and he just traded it in for a Honda. I think it was an inside deal because I got a selling price of $10,995.

I got hit a bit on my 07 scion tc trade in. Had some negative equity. Owed 11,6 and only got 10. So I walked away at $12595 + tax and tags. Thought it was still an awesome deal. More than I wanted but I love it
Old 02-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
congrats man! beautiful truck you've got there!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
That's a great looking truck, congrats!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
A real Beaut! Lovin it.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
BlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlancoTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
congrats
Old 02-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
daward is on a distinguished road
daward's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to daward
Thumbs up for the new truck, and a second set for also being from the DubC!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Damn nice truck. And for a decent price! They hold their value well!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck man!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice truck. I have the same truck in an '02 auto. Good choice, and seems like a good price. Enjoy.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #19
thanks for the kind words fellas. Probably wont do many upgrades. Right now I just want to give it a good service. Not to thrilled about the timing belt service but I kind of new that before I bought it. Im thinking about doing the sea foam.....have to do some more research
Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #20
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
congrats man, thats a clean looking taco!