1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1995 Tacoma Idle and Stall

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ray Beeze, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Mar 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    Ray Beeze

Ray Beeze [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Conveniently located between Graceland and The Smo
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma
    1995 Tacoma, 2.7, 4x4, automatic, 162k miles

Leaving a stop sign, three days ago, the engine stalled and died with no backfire or gurgling noises. Turned the key and the engine started with no problem; I continued driving. Yesterday morning, the engine was slow to start, but eventually started and had no knocks/pings/pops/unfriendly noises, etc. Truck performed well most of the day, but, again, had another slow start in the afternoon.

This morning, engine needed multiple attempts to start (4th try got it) and idles evenly/smoothly at normal rpms. No "check engine light" or other malfunction indicators. Engine will start, but needs 3-4 attempts, and then idle smoothly. The engine will rev up nicely, in Park, but will stall if you shift to Drive and press the accelerator. When idling, it will shift to Reverse or Drive and idle up and down the driveway, but, again, when you press the accelerator it dies again.

I'll have an OBD2 scanner this afternoon, but I'm unsure any codes will be stored as the CEL isn't flagged. Any ideas?

2. Mar 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    I would start witn an air filter, and fuel filter if you have replaced them recently.

3. Mar 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    Ray Beeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma
    Air filter is fresh and clean, I've never replaced the fuel filter.

4. Mar 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
    if you have a reader, use it, sometimes the codes are in there before a light goes on. i would get some MAF sensor cleaner-- disconnect your battery, then remove the MAF sensor and clean it. reinstall it and reconnect the battery. if the problem goes away, this is your culprit. pretty easy fix. if that cures it, and it returns, then repalce the sensor.

5. Mar 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    Ray Beeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma
    Actron declares: PASS - NO CODES FOUND.

I used CRC MAF cleaner on the mass air flow sensor with no changes or variations in outcome. Good call, though.

Changing fuel filter now.

6. Mar 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Mine acted the same way, until I changed the fuel filter. Yours is likely clogged. It's cheap and easy to replace.

Change your fuel filter, then we'll look at the next thing if that doesn't work. :)

7. Mar 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    Ray Beeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma
    Changed the filter and the results are better, but something still isn't quite right. Starts easier and more quickly, but, when advancing throttle, it still hesitates.

New development: stalled once, after which, white smoke came out of the air intake but no backfire or popping. Visual inspection found no damage, so I attempted a re-start. Engine started and ran smoothly, so there's no issue of jumping time.

Back to the drawing board.

8. Mar 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    idle air control valve maybe?

9. Mar 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD
    Just turn your idle up a little. Had to do that to a friends. Like 50 rpm. Should have a screw on throttle body. We tried everything, cleaned everything. Turn idle up like 50 rpm and he still hasn't had another problem.

But make sure to do your regular maintenance things. Like fuel filter and plugs

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  10. Mar 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road

When is the last time you changed your spark plugs?

Have you run any type of cleaner through the injectors?

Ever cleaned your MAF, or throttle body?

Possible clogged cat, or muffler?

11. Mar 17, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Ray Beeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma
    I changed the plugs last summer and air filter is clean and fresh. I run injector cleaner through the system a few times a year. I cleaned the MAF yesterday and the catalytic converter was removed years ago.

I thought it might be the EGR, so I removed the vacuum line from the top of the modulator and applied vacuum to the EGR, to test it. When vacuum is applied, the engine rpms slow down and the engine dies, which sounds to me as if the EGR is working correctly.

Still no readable codes.

12. Mar 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    Gwess

Gwess Member

Member:
    Any updates? I'm having similar issues, just changed fuel filter and cleaned throttle body.. It was filthy but still having issues, I can slowly accelerate but stepping on it makes it lag and just really feel like fuel isn't getting to it. Starts fine idles fine.. I've got a small hole that I plan on patching up right behind muffler. Could this just be issue? Next step is to change plugs even though they look decent I just bought it and can't be for sure they were changed. Every so often I can achieve the rpms but usually she won't let me go over 3000 in 2nd and 3 gears.. It's just never the same which makes me think its just gummed up but it's tough to clean her out when you can't really open her up and get going. Help!

13. Mar 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    Ray Beeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma
    I dismantled the air duct to get to the throttle body with spray cleaner. Sprayed it, scrubbed the inside with a toothbrush, sprayed it again and wiped it out with a shop rag. Reconnected air duct, started the engine and used the PCV line to introduce seafoam to the plenum.

Engine starts quickly and hesitation/lag/stall has been eliminated. Seems to be fixed.....for now. I'll update if anything changes.

14. Mar 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Plugged cats I bet

15. Mar 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    Ray Beeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma
    ;)

16. Mar 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road

Awesome! Which line is the PCV line? I may seafoam mine, too.

17. Mar 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    Find any vacuum line going into the plenum.

18. May 1, 2022 at 4:10 PM
    campoman45

campoman45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 4x4 extra cab
    headers, warn winch, Detroit lockers 2 inch lift
    i had been having the exact same problems and hired a technician to come out with extensive test equip i had tried everything as you did but with his diagnosis found out that the problem was a circuit in the computer , the worst part is i put the part number on the national search and the dealer even contacted Japan for a new computer , but everyone is saying it is obsolete for a 95 2.7 4x4 mt so here it sits on a non opp until someday one turns up campoman

19. May 1, 2022 at 4:17 PM
    campoman45

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 4x4 extra cab
    you might have a better chance finding a computer for yours being an automatic , it is a different part number then the manual trans , my tacoma made it to 148000 miles before i had this issue , i did put in a clutch and did regular tune ups and maintance, ebay had one for an automatic y a short time back you might want to try them , good luck

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. May 1, 2022 at 4:31 PM
    campoman45

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 4x4 extra cab
    try ebay last i checked they had a computer for a automatic

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top