Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear diff lock button missing???

Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #21
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
*Flashback to Marisa Tomei on trial in My Cousin Vinny*
One of my favorite movies...

"What is Posi-Traction?" LOL
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #23
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
power will be evenly distributed with both tires off the ground............................................ .........................
despite neither tire having contact, wouldn't power go to just one wheel w/ an open diff? and both when locked?

Quote:
haha
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #24
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
despite neither tire having contact, wouldn't power go to just one wheel w/ an open diff? and both when locked?

haha
When locked BOTH tires rotate the same... 'locked' together.

The 'open differential' is NOT 'open' when it is 'locked'.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
jack up the truck in the rear and hit the gas (in drive and not 4wd obv.). if BOTH tires spin u r 'locked'
Quote:
power will be evenly distributed with both tires off the ground............................................ .........................
ONLY if the OP has the locker on, if its not locked then only one will spin (passenger side iirc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
When locked BOTH tires rotate the same... 'locked' together.

The 'open differential' is NOT 'open' when it is 'locked'.
I know how it works.. was just trying to help the OP determine whether his truck is stuck 'locked' or not..
Old 03-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Here guys. Jack it up. Put it in NEUTRAL. Turn one wheel with your hand. If the other wheel spins in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION, you have an open diff.

If the other wheel spins with it, you're somehow connected.

If you have an LSD I guess it would spin also, albeit at a slower rate.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #27
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBusGaming View Post
Here guys. Jack it up. Put it in NEUTRAL. Turn one wheel with your hand. If the other wheel spins in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION, you have an open diff.

If the other wheel spins with it, you're somehow connected.

If you have an LSD I guess it would spin also, albeit at a slower rate.
Bingo!^^^ I had both my rear wheels in the air and put the engine in gear and gave it throttle and when the diff was open both wheels would spin forward unless I did something to affect one of them, like grab one or start to depress the e-brake. If both tires can spin with equal force they will. It is when one is harder to spin that they won't both spin together.

If you were locked 24/7 you would know real quick. You get a lot of wheel hop and jerking around when turning in parking lots and such (ie sharply) impossible to not notice this.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #28
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Bingo!^^^ I had both my rear wheels in the air and put the engine in gear and gave it throttle and when the diff was open both wheels would spin forward unless I did something to affect one of them, like grab one or start to depress the e-brake. If both tires can spin with equal force they will. It is when one is harder to spin that they won't both spin together.

If you were locked 24/7 you would know real quick. You get a lot of wheel hop and jerking around when turning in parking lots and such (ie sharply) impossible to not notice this.
Fuck yeah.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ONLY if the OP has the locker on, if its not locked then only one will spin (passenger side iirc)

I know how it works.. was just trying to help the OP determine whether his truck is stuck 'locked' or not..
Woah, sleepy cody is a noob. haha
Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #30
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Woah, sleepy cody is a noob. haha
You were right though Cody. haha. Unless the brakes are rubbing or a bearing is bad or something both wheels will turn.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #31
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You were right though Cody. haha. Unless the brakes are rubbing or a bearing is bad or something both wheels will turn.
that's what I thought? idk, unless theres some innate thing about our trucks I didn't know........
I havent really had my truck on a lift and stepped on a gas to put my theories to the test haha
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #32

Quote:
that's what I thought? idk, unless theres some innate thing about our trucks I didn't know........
I havent really had my truck on a lift and stepped on a gas to put my theories to the test haha
I have and it would spin both tires unless we interfered with one. I think there is a misconception that open diffs only apply power to one tire all the time. My friend had a nissan frontier that we smoked the rear tires off of. In 1st gear it would roast only the drivers side and in reverse it would only roast the passenger tire (may have been the other way around was several years ago). A lot of vehicles do this (why I don't know actually...) but it leads people to believe that that is always the case. But put the opposite tire in gravel and leave one on pavement and it will spin the gravel one every tire.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #33
Acermcgraw is on a distinguished road
Acermcgraw's Tacoma Gallery
Well guys i went out and jacked up the rear,i did not have the little motor shown and described here. So i feel confident that i do not have have a locking rear end i just have ahole in my dash where they would have put the switch. I do still have double wheel spin n the back im not sure if that means i have lsd or not though as there is nothing on the rear end saying that i can only use lsd fluid.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acermcgraw View Post
Well guys i went out and jacked up the rear,i did not have the little motor shown and described here. So i feel confident that i do not have have a locking rear end i just have ahole in my dash where they would have put the switch. I do still have double wheel spin n the back im not sure if that means i have lsd or not though as there is nothing on the rear end saying that i can only use lsd fluid.
Do 1st gens even has LSD from the factory?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #35

Quote:
I did not know that..

Quote:
I have and it would spin both tires unless we interfered with one. I think there is a misconception that open diffs only apply power to one tire all the time. My friend had a nissan frontier that we smoked the rear tires off of. In 1st gear it would roast only the drivers side and in reverse it would only roast the passenger tire (may have been the other way around was several years ago). A lot of vehicles do this (why I don't know actually...) but it leads people to believe that that is always the case. But put the opposite tire in gravel and leave one on pavement and it will spin the gravel one every tire.
yep, guess I fell victim to this misconception too, thanks for clearing it up
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #36
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acermcgraw View Post
even on an open diff... both wheels will leave skid marks on
pavement or in dirt, as long as the traction is pretty close to
equal for both wheels when you give it the boot, (and if you are not in
a turn).... if one was on ice, then the ice wheel will spin up quickly and you'd barely
start moving
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #37

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do 1st gens even has LSD from the factory?
Yes.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #38

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did not know that..

yep, guess I fell victim to this misconception too, thanks for clearing it up
Well, even my Truck with an LSD will only really "spin" one tire. On pavement, I can spin one tire, while the other one spins regular speed.

What's happening is that one tire is spinning crazy fast (Let's say my right one) until the LSD kicks in. That makes the other (left) tire kick in, due to the LSD. The left tire will be actually propelling the truck, while the one's that spinning and has less traction continues to spin.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBusGaming View Post
Well, even my Truck with an LSD will only really "spin" one tire. On pavement, I can spin one tire, while the other one spins regular speed.

What's happening is that one tire is spinning crazy fast (Let's say my right one) until the LSD kicks in. That makes the other (left) tire kick in, due to the LSD. The left tire will be actually propelling the truck, while the one's that spinning and has less traction continues to spin.
Depends on how the mechanical LSD is setup. There are several different styles.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #40

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Depends on how the mechanical LSD is setup. There are several different styles.
The different types are something I'm well versed in.

Care to educate me?