Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear diff lock button missing???

Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Acermcgraw is on a distinguished road
Acermcgraw's Tacoma Gallery
Rear diff lock button missing???

The 2000 prerunner i just got has an open spot where the rear diff lock switch should be, just a hole straight through in to the dash. cant see the button in there but i see an empty connector. Im wondering if the switch is plain old missing or it was never equipped with one in the first place. is there any other way that i can tell if i have a locker in the back before i buy a button, like the vin or something or a physical difference ? thanks guys
Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acermcgraw View Post
The 2000 prerunner i just got has an open spot where the rear diff lock switch should be, just a hole straight through in to the dash. cant see the button in there but i see an empty connector. Im wondering if the switch is plain old missing or it was never equipped with one in the first place. is there any other way that i can tell if i have a locker in the back before i buy a button, like the vin or something or a physical difference ? thanks guys
Look at the rear axle. There should be actuator bolted to it. Its boled to the side of third member. if its not there you dotn have elocker.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Look at the rear axle. There should be actuator bolted to it. Its boled to the side of third member. if its not there you dotn have elocker.
x2
Old 03-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
The actuator will be on the drivers side of the diff if it has one.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
a pic would be awesome since i dont know exactly what im looking for, also i did hit the gas hard and both of my rear wheels spun
Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
also if i have a switch and its gone and im locked in the rear, would that be a bad thing. i do get some weird noises and some wheel hop going around tight corners?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
also if i have a switch and its gone and im locked in the rear, would that be a bad thing. i do get some weird noises and some wheel hop going around tight corners?
if you have a locked or live axle at road and highway speeds....

it would be hard to steer on dry pavement, wear the crap out of your tires,
and cause enough steering issues on corners that there is a real risk of flipping the vehicle in a ditch

so hopefully it is not locked 24x7 or that would be sort of bad
Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
thanks for the pic ill go look on my lunch
Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
ok i d better figure it out then, is it noisier with the rear locked is it something you can hear
Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok i d better figure it out then, is it noisier with the rear locked is it something you can hear
No, the tires will chirp in tight corners though.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
alright thanks man really helpfull
Old 03-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
both of my rear wheels spin when i hit the gas but according to the forum posts here, it doesn't appear that i have a LSD
Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
If your tires chirp or you can feel them grab as you turn then your diff is locked in
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #17
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I am adding more words here, to help Acermcgraw:

The locker is a small motor on the top, front, driver's side of the differential... and a wire goes to it (what the switch does)... as it is an E (electronic) -locker.

When locked, both rear tires are 'locked' together... for extra traction off road. When you turn/ steer and drive, all tires must rotate at different speeds (the outside tires in a turn, rotate more). A differential allows the tires on the drive (rear) axle to turn at different speeds and power is biased to the tire that turns the easiest.

Off road, or on slippery roads, one tire may spin, and you go nowhere. Locking the differential shares the power equally... both spin the same... less chance you will be stuck.

On road, or dry pavement, if locked, steering will be hard and sharp turns, parking, etc, will be near impossible without 'chirping' the tires as they slide free in order to rotate more than the other tire... this is called 'binding' and could damage your truck!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
My '98 has a connecter behind where the button would be, but I don't have a locker. I'm sure they just have the extra wires in the harness because its easier to have the wiring all the same.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
jack up the truck in the rear and hit the gas (in drive and not 4wd obv.). if both tires spin u r locked
power will be evenly distributed with both tires off the ground............................................ .........................
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I am adding more words here, to help Acermcgraw:

The locker is a small motor on the top, front, driver's side of the differential... and a wire goes to it (what the switch does)... as it is an E (electronic) -locker.

When locked, both rear tires are 'locked' together... for extra traction off road. When you turn/ steer and drive, all tires must rotate at different speeds (the outside tires in a turn, rotate more). A differential allows the tires on the drive (rear) axle to turn at different speeds and power is biased to the tire that turns the easiest.

Off road, or on slippery roads, one tire may spin, and you go nowhere. Locking the differential shares the power equally... both spin the same... less chance you will be stuck.

On road, or dry pavement, if locked, steering will be hard and sharp turns, parking, etc, will be near impossible without 'chirping' the tires as they slide free in order to rotate more than the other tire... this is called 'binding' and could damage your truck!
*Flashback to Marisa Tomei on trial in My Cousin Vinny*