1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loss of power at highway speed then dieing?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SinisterDexter, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Mar 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    SinisterDexter

SinisterDexter [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Hello all, a FNG here (to posting anyway, been hitting up this site for advice for several months). I bought a 1996 Tacoma 4x4, regular cab, manual transmission two months ago and am working the bugs out, I have an issue that has me stumped and could not find the answer in another thread.

It has always lost a little power pulling hills at interstate speed but with the 2.7 engine pushing a 6 inch lift and 32's I would expect that.
    I was on the way back from a 150 mile trip and I noticed a slow drop on the speedo, like I was pulling a hill with a load. Accelerator to the floor didn't even rev the engine, I downshifted to 4th to keep it near the speed limit but I was still having to floor the accelerator. Exiting the interstate, I downshifted to third and it just died. To start it again I had to give it alot of gas and floor the accelerator just to keep it running, as soon as I let off on the gas it would die...wash, rinse, repeat until I finally made it home. The engine is running really rough. No warning lights popping up on the dash.

Some mods that I do know of : new OEM sparkplugs, dealer fuel system flush and new belts last month. It has had a top end job, starter, fuel pump, fuel filter and battery in the last 10,000 miles.
    It has just under 190,000 on it.

A couple of folks offered thier opinions..one was junk in the fuel tank, their thinking is the ethanol fuel is corroding the fuel system, suggested a new fuel tank and to run non ethanol fuel from now on out (?????)
    Another thought is it is a timing issue.

I am about to try to limp it to the dealer (I am blessed with a good one I trust and they don't rape me on cost) but I really want some
    more info before I do. Advice Please!

Update....I just got home and started it, it started fine with no gas needed...runs just like normal but it does have a horrendous rattle/vibrate. I am baffled.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. Mar 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
    have the codes read. you may have a MAF sensor issue or an ignition issue.

3. Mar 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I'm thinking clean the MAF sensor. Check the EGR Valve isn't sticking open or closed and check the vacuum hoses carefully for dry rot or leaks. Also check any wiring around the EGR isn't pinched or burned. I wonder if the fuel pump relay may be shitting the bed, too.

4. Mar 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    SinisterDexter

Member:
    Tennessee
    Ok, dealer just called, said I need a new motor. Used one for 3100 and a new one for over 6000. Bad bearings they say.
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!! Are they just blowing smoke up my @$$ or could this be the truth?

5. Mar 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Since you are a female, I would say have a mechanic look at it before the dealer. The dealer sees $ signs in their eyes when a female walks in the door.

6. Mar 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    Anything is possible, but I would get a second or third opinion before considering that as my only option.

7. Mar 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    SinisterDexter

Member:
    Tennessee
    Ok, after talking to my sister (we grew up with POS Fords and neither of us are stupid when it comes to mechanical stuff)...Neither of us could wrap our minds around it being a blown engine and here is why I say that.
    I do PMCS weekly on it, it has never needed oil, after this problem started I check the oil, looks good, not black or sludgy or milky. The oil light never comes on until it is 'dying', just like the rest of the dash lights. The dealer is trying to convince me that the bearing went bad because of lack of oil circulation, they say the oil screen "probably gunked up".
    When I DROVE it to the dealer, it started, idled and ran just fine except for what sounded like a sheet metal rattle coming from under/towards the rear of the truck UNTIL it got warm. About 17 miles into the journey, it started it's loss of power thing and eventually died.
    Sis and I are both thinking exhaust/catalytic converter...hence why it runs fine cold but has problems when warm.

I will have a face to face with the 'mechanic' tomorrow...I have a sneaking suspicion I am being hoodoo'ed (because of me being a female)..If I throw out the "Gee, wonder what I could get for it as a parts truck" and he makes me an offer I may punch him...

8. Mar 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    Have you tried having your codes checked? Even though your CEL may not be on, codes are logged.

9. Mar 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
    why didn't i think of that? LOL

10. Mar 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    SinisterDexter

Member:
    Tennessee
    They did check the codes....Nada, except for low oil pressure....AND they found a leak in the tranny...

So, it looks like I will be hanging out in the Gen 2 threads from now on....they just got in a repoed one owner 2011, already lifted (thank you former owner), 2.7 regular cab, manual..I am trading my daily driver (2010 Soul) and the dead Taco for it...Pics soon.

Thank you guys for your help, I appreciate your help!!

Carpe Diem!

Products Discussed in

To Top