Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plasti-Dip

Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
obie3 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
obie3's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti-Dip

I read about a guy who Plasti-Dipped is wheels. Mine are the alloy wheels and they are getting pretty bad. I clean them up but I can't get them really clean, some pitting and the grime gets in there and just won't come out. Just wondering how the Plasti-Dip would work in that application. Would like to do that if it works well. Anybody try that?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Grunt
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard nothing but good things about painting (or dipping) your rims, check out these links:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post2975930

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...rims-easy.html

I'd imagine it's essentially the same preparation and execution
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Its cheap, easy to do, easily undone, and looks good. What do you have to loose?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
RedDead will become famous soon enough
RedDead's Tacoma Gallery
just painted my emblem on my grille...got some overspray on the grille itself...figured why not plastidip the whole damn thing...didnt like it so i peeled it off..haha good stuff...
Old 03-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
obie3's Tacoma Gallery
After reading the posts on painting the rims, maybe I'll go that route. I feel that the plasti-dip would peel off. I live in the Adirondack Mts., in upstate N.Y. Lot of snow, salt, sand etc. My question is how it would turn out with aluminum rims? I know steel rims accept the paint well, but I don't know about aluminum. Any thoughts?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
The aluminum should accept it just fine. If you're really worried about it, do a light sanding first just to generally rough them up a bit. Make sure to take your time with enough coats as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it, if you don't like it you can just take it off. I've done it to a set of 15" steelies, and to a set of 16" stock wheels.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
obie3's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks I'll give it a shot when it warms up.