Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Throttle, hand control (5VZ)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Throttle, hand control (5VZ)

check out muh video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDpA...oNaLx3Lj51uqfA

wuz purdy simple to do
the video might offer some visual orientation.

not pictured in the video was the routing of the cable
from the firewall to the gear shift lever...
Cable comes in under the console plastics
and rises up inside the gear shift boot to reside in the lever's seat.

not mine... but looks like this when stripped...

here's a couple detail pics of the cable end / linkage...

most the necessary parts were purchased off ebay fairly cheap

I used SRAM 1.1mm X 2200mm SS wire cable.
with 6ft L. X 4mm OD sleeve/casing (1.2 mm teflon inner core)
* I purchased 7' of each because I wasn't sure (was shortened)

Sunrace SLM10 friction shifter (left control)
was purchased from Amazon

I wanted to say thanks to Skyler (wolfgang123@TW)
for sharing some links with me, made it super easy
Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
thats freaking awesome....
Old 03-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
heres mine on the 3rz:

the cable burred pretty bad at the end before i put my crimp end on there so i might just buy a new one and redo it since it kinda got damaged through out my trail and error setup process.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hey Skyler... thanks for adding to the thread

here's a lesson learned...

so I was pushing the cable thru,
after getting the housing in place.

all of of sudden bacon's sounding off...
and I see some light smoke

came to realization that my cable, as it was pushed thru,
had followed a path that ground the pos+ and neg- terminals
on muh auxillary battery...

no real harm... ( ...except )
just discolored the wire at the section (end)
I was planning to cut off anyway.

just sayin...
so attention is given as to where that wire runs
Old 05-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I just wanted to add something to this. If you have a supercharger then you are going to have to make a bracket similar to the 4cyl one so that you can mount the new cable parallel to the factory cable. Here is a couple pictures of mine.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Great idea!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is probably a moot point, but I would be worried about the safety involved. With you being able to lock the throttle, what would happen if you were to accidentally trigger the throttle? What if you had an accident? You could accidentally pull the throttle, or hit it and have other problems. Just asking if you have considerations for that?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I know this is probably a moot point, but I would be worried about the safety involved. With you being able to lock the throttle, what would happen if you were to accidentally trigger the throttle? What if you had an accident? You could accidentally pull the throttle, or hit it and have other problems. Just asking if you have considerations for that?
i mean it goes through your head..... but theres always a clutch that works just great
Old 05-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The knobs that we used are adjustable so that it can either spring back like a normal throttle or tightened up to hold the rpms in one spot. I will leave mine loose for that exact reason. Just in case my hand bumps it, it will spring back like normal.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
So what is exactly is the purpose or function of this?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a 5 speed, you can leave your feet on the clutch and brake, without having to heel toe, when wheeling. I still need to do this...
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #16

I don't know about everyone else's setup but I can pull mine almost, if not completely, wide open. I haven't fully tested it yet but I know I pulled it to 4k and still had some left to go.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
So what is exactly is the purpose or function of this?

Gotcha thanks. Learn something new everyday.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
Truck ~n~ Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
The knobs that we used are adjustable so that it can either spring back like a normal throttle or tightened up to hold the rpms in one spot. I will leave mine loose for that exact reason. Just in case my hand bumps it, it will spring back like normal.

^ yep, what he said... except I call it a lever
is the reason I selected this particular friction shifter.

With the friction lever adjusted to minimal friction...
The lever will move freely and return to neutral with the throttle linkage assembly.
The lever's cable wire will extend out of the end of the throttle linkage, causing no bind.
^ (* using my attachment method) (* see muh video)
And the lever receives zero feedback from the cable's movement.

Add more friction to the lever (tighten) and it becomes a index type shifter.
And holds solid at the index positions.
No opposing lever feed back in this position either.

If the cable end is attached in a different way then I did...
It might be possible that lever feedback could occur.
But enough slack in the cable end would likely bend/loop the wire
rather then push back into the cable housing.
^ but it's something to be aware of if the cable end is attached differently.

Quote:
I'm fairly conscious about everything on muh junk...
Knowing it is there and how to use it... makes ya smarter.
Safe is only as good as one makes that.

If yer a dummy... ya probably shouldn't do this mod

--------------------

* Southern01Taco
thanks for the details regarding the SC cable mount differences
Old 05-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #19

Yea, lever, that sounds much better. I couldn't think of a proper term for it last night for nothing lol.

And no problem, I didn't realize the cable mounts were that different until I went to install the second cable.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I see the aspects that you are all talking about. I guess sometimes I do tend to over analyze things. Just in my nature.

Products Discussed in this Thread