1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration in Park & Neutral only

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by motopreserve, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Mar 21, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    motopreserve

motopreserve [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    2002 3.4l 6cyl TRD SR5 Auto: 126K

Hey folks. I have done some searching here and elsewhere, but it seems that I have the opposite issue as many owners.

I am noticing some vibration - nothing ridiculous, but not sure if it's typical. The truck is idling at just under 750, and has a vibration ONLY in Park or Neutral. The vibes go away when I hit the gas a little, or put it into gear. The heater doesn't seem to effect it at all (I found mention of this too).

Is this normal? Is there anything I shoudl check? It seems the common checks are for people getting vibes when in gear.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. Mar 21, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Thats pretty weird all right. If its just a small vibration, then I wouldn't worry too much. I have a similar vehicle (3rz ?) and its fine. The 6-cyl might idle a bit smoother with 2 more cylinders, but not sure.

While in Park/Neutral, does having your foot on or off the brake make any difference?

A wild-ass guess: the TPS or a sensor (cam or crank position?) is getting weak. Test those.

3. Mar 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    motopreserve

Member:
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    Sorry, forgot to mention that it's a 3.4 6 cyl.

It's just slight - but I noticed it today for the first time. I have no frame of reference for this (this truck or any vehicle in quite some time). Foot on brake doesn't stop the vibes. How would I test the TPS or sensor? I have the Scangauge 2 - would it come up on that?

Thanks for the help!

4. Mar 22, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    You could start with a basic tune-up. How long since the air filter, PCV, plugs, and plug wires have been changed?

5. Mar 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    motopreserve

Member:
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    I honestly don't know the answer to that. I trust that it had been "checked out" by the dealer - but we all know that can mean VERY different things :) So I have already ordered the air filter (AFE) and plan on getting to the plugs and wires (if needed).

I'll take a look at the Haynes manual I have to see about the PCV valve - appreciate the heads up. I wasn't thinking about that (very new to auto maintenance!). From what I have read - it seems that an Autozone purchased one can work - is this true, as long as it says it's appropriate to my year, make and model?

I found this one online:

Thanks so much for the help!

6. Jan 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    DougDeBonet

DougDeBonet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Sorry for pulling up an old thread but my truck is brand new 2014 4.0 and does the same thing, park and neutral, not crazy, around 750-800 rpm doesnt really fluctuate. It has 991 miles on it now.

Products Discussed in

To Top