1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My "Heartbreaking" First Gen Buying Story.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Agent 21, Mar 21, 2013.

1. May 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    somethinboutayota

somethinboutayota Dorthy left Kansas for a reason

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Dodge City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Go to get alignment- replace whole front end
    Debadged and painted, plasti-dip bumper , Sock monkey decals, tool box, K&N cold air intake, flag holder/fishing pole holder, Satoshi, magnaflow 40 series, spidertrax wheel spacers, map lights, led reverse lights, led dash assembly lights, roof top LED bar
    I am so :jellydance: a truck like that around my town would be an easy 10 g's dammit haha

2. May 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    Agent 21

Agent 21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I used to hate white trucks (and vehicles in general). They reminded me of either work vehicles, because all my work vehicles are white, or douchebags cause it seemed everytime I saw really clean white vehicles some sort of jersey-shore-esq douche was driving it (and they'd be Beamers or Mercedes lol). So I always wrote off white Tacomas. But then I saw my friends uncle's Rawling Tundra, and started seeing white Tacomas with black accents and they look AWESOME, so my opinion has changed lol. I still don't like the stock white look too much, but once all the accents get black out they look so much more aggressive and I love the look.

And I agree, all blacked out looks so awesome. Its why black is my first choice. But I really like the silver with black accents too, and that deep red would look REAL nice with black accents.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  3. May 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    "so I'm not just gonna show up now haha"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

EXCUSE ME, drive yer ass by, even knock on the door, kripes, you want a Taco, being meek will keep you in da back seat for sure...

Good luck with the quest, sooner or later you will succeed...

4. May 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Agent 21

Member:
    Well I CAN'T just show up is what I mean, Lol. I searched me entire email history and cannot find the correspondence!! That's why I NEED him to reply, to get the address again. Otherwise yeah, I could just drive over and see if there's a sign on the truck, or a phone number, and just pretend we've never talked before haha.

5. May 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    somethinboutayota

somethinboutayota Dorthy left Kansas for a reason

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Dodge City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Go to get alignment- replace whole front end
    Debadged and painted, plasti-dip bumper , Sock monkey decals, tool box, K&N cold air intake, flag holder/fishing pole holder, Satoshi, magnaflow 40 series, spidertrax wheel spacers, map lights, led reverse lights, led dash assembly lights, roof top LED bar
    Exactly how I felt about white tacomas, after driving to colorado springs 3 times to look at trucks I found online and came back empty handed because they lied, I jumped on the white one because everything was fine on it, and I thought I would hate myself for buying it, but after a little plasti dip and spray paint its growing on me

6. May 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Agent 21

Member:
    Anyone wanna do me a solid and shoot that Craigslist ad an inquiry email, just to see if there's a reply lol? If so, it clearly means dude isn't pleased about how last time went down and is avoiding me. Maybe I'm just being super impatient and he hasn't gotten a chance to check/reply yet, but still, I've learned in this process (and most everyone's advice here) that you gotta be quick and persistent. If I were selling a vehicle on CL I'd be checking constantly for inquiries. I just really don't want to miss out on the opportunity, especially now that I have the new budget situation thanks to irresponsible pot-head roomate lol. Not gonna find many nice Tacos in this price range, especially local. And now I definitly can't fly out to any.

7. May 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    Agent 21

Member:
    Completely forgot I have a secod email just for signing up for things, so I don't get a bunch of junk/spam to my main email. I replied to the ad with that email and got a reply within a few hours, a reply telling me he isn't available Monday, and someone is coming to look at it on Tuesday, so I can come Wednesday if it's still available....

But still no reply to my main email that I wrote FRIDAY explaining the situation from last time, so it IS being ignored. That SUCKS that a misunderstanding probabaly cost me the sale :mad:

8. May 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    Loppy

Loppy Active Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    02 4d TRD 4x4
    Screw that. Show up Tuesday w cash. Punch other guy in the neck. Nail the dudes wife on the stairs. Drop money. Take truck. Load vid of it all on YouTube. Profit.

9. May 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    Agent 21

Member:
    Best. Plan. Ever!

10. May 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    Agent 21

Member:
    I also found this:
    http://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/3751550634.html

How much worse is gas mileage on the crews than the extended cabs? I'm already going to take a hit gas-wise as my current car gets about 23-25mpg, and most of what I've seen on the Tacos is 17-19-ish. I'd assume Crew cab is a bit lower? Gas gets pretty ridiculous here on the island in the summertime.

11. May 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM
    Loggerhead

Loggerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seán
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 TRD 5spd 3.4 Xtra Cab

Lol! Best advice ever!

12. May 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    FramerKat

FramerKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner TRD Limited DC
    Wheeler's five pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100s (rear), front tint, windshield top tint, Century Camper Shell/Cap/Topper, Wade window visors, Wade bug shield, cassette adaptor (so I can play Slacker Radio via my phone!), Sunday Blues with Dar sticker, Wounded Warrior Project sticker, no NRA sticker 'cause I don't wanna advertise ;-)
    That looks like a great deal for that truck. I'm partial to Lunar Mist double cabs myself ;)

Mine gets about 17 mpg (w/ v6 and auto trans), but I recently got a topper and I think that dropped it by about 1/2-1 mpg. I've heard of others getting higher mileage, but there are lots of variables; they all seem different.

13. May 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    Loppy

Loppy Active Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    02 4d TRD 4x4
    Dude, if you dont jump on that one I'll fly out there and smack you upside the head myself. That's a peach! My guess is the milage difference between the x cab and 4 door would be next to nothing. Certainly not enough to sway away from. I love my 4 door. GO NOW!

Side note. You right coast guys have it easy. That same truck here in CA would be listed for $15,999 or more. NO joke. :rolleyes:

14. May 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    Blindsider

Blindsider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB TRD OR
    Also call toyota so they can run the vin to see if its had the frame checked. Otherwise you're on your own for frame issues.

15. May 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    FramerKat

FramerKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner TRD Limited DC
    Wheeler's five pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100s (rear), front tint, windshield top tint, Century Camper Shell/Cap/Topper, Wade window visors, Wade bug shield, cassette adaptor (so I can play Slacker Radio via my phone!), Sunday Blues with Dar sticker, Wounded Warrior Project sticker, no NRA sticker 'cause I don't wanna advertise ;-)
    Yeah, that's a good idea...I didn't do that with mine and I lucked out with a frame that is fine. And getting on it quick is a good idea...I know the DCs here in South Florida never lasted long...I was on mine within hours of it being posted online.

16. May 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    Agent 21

Member:
    I didn't even know you could do this! See, again, great advice from everyone here.

**EDIT** is there a specific # to call for this?

I can't thank everyone enough. I know I'm probabaly a pain with all the questions and super long posts haha, but I've learned to much just from the replies in this thread, and lurking around the other threads. It's been great :D

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  17. May 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    Blindsider

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB TRD OR
    Just call a dealership.

18. May 14, 2013 at 3:42 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    just curious, but how much actual cash do you have on hand to complete this transaction, I can only assume that it isn't giganormous (large), if you are still working the loan angle you gots to have a line of credit approved, otherwise all you are doing is pretending....

although most sellers will be patient if you 'secure' the deal with sizeable a cash down payment and maybe 24/48 hour turn around on the rest of the proceeds through your preapproved financing, you are at a disadvantage, jumping on these deals means being prepared, when you stated a certain amount per month you could afford as a payment, your figures may differ from what the finance company will actually allow you to encumber (read, borrow)...

it could be the reason the other seller never got back to you, they may have sensed the situation and moved on to someone else or don't want to deal with it...

good luck...

just added, here is link for vin stuff, simple interwebs search found, first hit..I just punched in mine, frame never checked, but it is a West Coast truck, good frame still...

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/recalls

punch in vin, bing, bang, boom...

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  19. May 14, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    Agent 21

Member:
    I did that Vin check for the silver crew cab and it says:

"below are open safety recalls or service campaigns that have not yet been completed"

Safety recall COV remedy
    Excessive corrosion of the spare tire lift plate

Does that mean the frame WASNT done like the listing says? If so, that makes me wary of the truck period, because if the dealer is that dishonest about something like that, who knows what else he's hiding. And to be honest, $10,500 is a few THOUSAND lower than I've seen other Crew Cabs with TRD and similar features/miles/condition around here....

**EDIT** and if the frame, or any sort of recall for that matter, hasn't been done yet, is it still covered if I buy it or would I have to pay because it's not the original warranty or owner?

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  20. May 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    Blindsider

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB TRD OR
    The frame isn't an open safety recall so you have to check the service history.

Products Discussed in

To Top