Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Change transmission fluid or not?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
ncbowhunter is on a distinguished road
ncbowhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Change transmission fluid or not?

First off I'm new to the forum.....thanks for having me!

I just purchased an 02 Tacoma Double Cab 4wd v6. I got the truck at a good deal and it is excellent cosmetic condition. The lady I purchased it from has changed the timing belt & other maintenance on time with the exception of the transmission fluid (really don't understand why though). The truck has 195k miles and has never had the trans fluid changed. i normally would run the other way, but its a really nice truck. I plan to get the trans fluid changed this Friday at the dealer and get them to add a container of Lucas trans fluid as a precautionary measure. If it was your truck what would you do? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Tough call. Me?....I would leave it. At almost 200k on original fluid, there is a good chance new fluid could cause issues
Old 03-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard from the High Desert of Central Oregon! If it was me i'd just do a few drain and fills in a row over the next 1000 miles. I've read complete flushes aren't a good idea at that high of milage.
Sounds like a nice truck... be sure to share a few pictures.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe a drain and refill with new filter. Not sure I'd flush
Old 03-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Vidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement: Federal
Name: Alex
Vidmon88's Tacoma Gallery
what mossy said x2 ^
Old 03-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Just drain and fill a few times to get the fluid clear.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
So with the drain and fill.....would you have the dealer do this or do it yourself? What's your thoughts on the Lucas additive? Thanks again.....
Old 03-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Yep drain and fill it several times until you pull the dip stick and wipe it on a towel it is clear/translucent. All you need is some ATF Dex III/IV.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Dando7018 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dando
Dando7018's Tacoma Gallery
Changing the fluid is not going to hurt it, and its not going to hurt to add lucus.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dando7018 View Post
Changing the fluid is not going to hurt it, and its not going to hurt to add lucus.
I agree with Dando !!

Newer transmissions use electrical solenoids rather than mechanical shift valves that were used in older automatics .
There are far less things to go wrong with newer transmissions in comparison to older transmissions . Solenoids dont normally get stuck ...shift valves will stick .
Flushing all the fluid is highly recomended .
You are better off replacing the fluid that has lost all the friction modifiers than to worry about sticking some of the mechanical valves in the valve body . Lubeguard should also be used as a supplement .
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBE...ATF+Protectant
I would not promote Lubegaurd if it didnt work
Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
I asked same ? few months ago. (135k). Fluid was dark. My dipstick says dexII. I did 2 drain refills and plan on dropping the pan and replacing filter and fill'n it up for good sometime soon. Drains usually about 4qts (book says 2.5 or something).

Good luck..
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
I agree with Dando !!

Newer transmissions use electrical solenoids rather than mechanical shift valves that were used in older automatics .
There are far less things to go wrong with newer transmissions in comparison to older transmissions . Solenoids dont normally get stuck ...shift valves will stick .
Flushing all the fluid is highly recomended .
You are better off replacing the fluid that has lost all the friction modifiers than to worry about sticking some of the mechanical valves in the valve body . Lubeguard should also be used as a supplement .
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBE...ATF+Protectant
I would not promote Lubegaurd if it didnt work
I have heard nothing but good things about Lubegard....thanks for the info!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
where in NC are you ? i can hook you up with amsoil trans fluid at dealer cost
Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
where in NC are you ? i can hook you up with amsoil trans fluid at dealer cost
Eastern NC.......30 min east of Greenville.....
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #15
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
im origionally from gvagus and my mom still lives there, im headed there this weekend and will be around the Winterville/Grifton area if you want some fluid, heck if you want you can change it in the garage at my moms yourself
Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I'd change it, the diffs and transfer case, too.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
i can get you any amsoil fluid at cost, and can even help you change fluids if you like.

if interested lemme know so i can get an order in ASAP.

but as the poster above stated its a good idea to go ahead and change everything, if you like i can even get a blackstone labs oil analysis for ya
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
Thanks for the offer......I am going to check with the dealer on Monday for costs and let you know......Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
10-4 ill pm you my cell number. It takes about 2 days for stuff to come in
Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Just drain and fill a couple times as there is no filter to change, only a screen. Couple drain and fills and good to go. Get 6 courts of mobile one synthetic 90wt and do rear diff, front diff, and transfer case.