LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ECT and locking diff

Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
installersam is on a distinguished road
installersam's Tacoma Gallery
ECT and locking diff

I have read a few post on this and i am still unsure. I have a 03 DC prerunner 4 cyl with TRD. I have the ECT button on the left side of the dash, best i understand it only changes shift points. should i have a lock diff button? I have read posts saying i should, and post saying i should not.
Not all the post were on this forum, not sure of their validity. I have not seen both mentioned together. Just trying to understand, thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
I thought 4cyl did not get the locking diff
Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
only v6
Old 02-14-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
prophet is on a distinguished road
prophet's Tacoma Gallery
There would be a button for the elocker in addition to the ECT also. The ECT is not the eLocker.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
^^like he said, two different animals. Your ECT simply holds out to a higher RPM in each gear befor upshifting. Supposed to give you more passing power. I myself don't care for it-I feel like I lose a little of the torque curve on accelleration with it activated. There is a neat hidden trait in these transmissions, and that is the automatic lockout torque converter that, upon acceleration kicks in (at least on my truck) at about 52MPH and feels like an extra gear-kinda sinks you into your seat a little. I am pretty sure when ECT is on this feature is disabled. So I dont use it. I also have the lockout diff too and it has its own button.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4x4858 View Post
I thought 4cyl did not get the locking diff
4-cylinder automatics were not given the e-locker as part of the TRD Off Road Package.

4-cylinder automatics were also excluded from getting the e-locker as a separate factory option.

Your 2003 4-cylinder PreRunner does not have - and could not have - the e-locker as 'factory' equipment.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
installersam is on a distinguished road
installersam's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the clarification guys. looks like my 4 banger was left out.