Notices

Cracked exhaust manifold

Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
RGosen is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1st Battalion
Name: Christ would now agree, don't get yourself nailed to a tree
RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Cracked exhaust manifold

So I know its common with these 1st gens to have a crached exhaust man and I am wondering if anyone had fixed them other than just getting a new one ? like jb weld or some damn thing ? and how long its held up for ..Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGosen View Post
So I know its common with these 1st gens to have a crached exhaust man and I am wondering if anyone had fixed them other than just getting a new one ? like jb weld or some damn thing ? and how long its held up for ..Thanks
Depending how bad & where crack is located it can be welded up..

As far as JB Weld goes, its a crap shoot, I've used it before & had it turn out great, other times wouldn't work for shit. I'd def. try to get it welded before R&R'ing & looking for another one
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #3

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Depending how bad & where crack is located it can be welded up..

As far as JB Weld goes, its a crap shoot, I've used it before & had it turn out great, other times wouldn't work for shit. I'd def. try to get it welded before R&R'ing & looking for another one
hmm odd ...maybe I will just try getting it welded while I save up cash for another one
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
get an exhaust leak fix kit, worked well for me... (not on my manifold but still) its a paste i got at autozone for like 5 bucks
Old 03-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
SteveFaust is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
SteveFaust's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust manifold on my 95.5 2.7 had numerous cracks. Had a local muffler shop guy weld them up for little less than half of what a new one would cost. If you have them welded up make sure that the mounting surface is still flat (sometimes warps a bit during welding). My guy had the surfaced machined before returning it to me so that it would bolt back on flat to the head. He even painted it with black heat paint so it looked finished.

Cracked exhaust manifold-img_0150.jpg
Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my 2.7 it cracked 90% around the circumference (all but in half). Save up and buy a new one. Doing it twice wouldn't be fun.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ToyoTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a 01-04 2.7L header and call it good!!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #9
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoTaco02 View Post
Just get a 01-04 2.7L header and call it good!!
I posted a link for a kit that includes that header. Op search for "mini header Tacoma". Kit was around 300. Was going to order one but found lce headers slightly used for 400.

Wish I had pictures of mine when I replaced it with lce headers. Stock was cracked on 3rd and 4th port. Cold starts I'd hear a leak.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
wv Jim
wv Jim is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
wv Jim's Tacoma Gallery
New Header

I got a new header for my 2.7 off of e-bay for around $70. The paste will work for about a month and then you have to do it again.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
I saw somewhere on here somebody had a link to TOYOTA OF DALLAS/FT WORTH they had headers for like 179$...
Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
I posted a link for a kit that includes that header. Op search for "mini header Tacoma". Kit was around 300. Was going to order one but found lce headers slightly used for 400.

Wish I had pictures of mine when I replaced it with lce headers. Stock was cracked on 3rd and 4th port. Cold starts I'd hear a leak.
Wasn't there a little piece we cut off because it was hitting the pinch weld or some shit ??
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #13

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Wasn't there a little piece we cut off because it was hitting the pinch weld or some shit ??

Yust never ends with these trucks lol
Old 03-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
The bees know...
Aquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to all

Navy: NavAir Reconn
Aquatic Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
As a stated in a related posted in the past. All our company trucks were 4x4 2.7ltr's. All the manifolds cracked on all the trucks. Depending on where the crack was we tryed JB Weld. It worked for a short time. At the time the dealer was the only source for a manifold. The price was stupid. So we replaced all with a header. I've noticed lately there are aftermarket manifold replacements, now.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGosen View Post
Yust never ends with these trucks lol
No rust. Good weather down here.
Issue was that the pipes originally ment for the 3rz in a 4runner. The sway bar mount was rubbing the pipe. Had to shorten it, doesn't matter,dont run with a sway bar.