Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Modding a New Toyota

Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
SnareAce is on a distinguished road
SnareAce's Tacoma Gallery
Modding a New Toyota

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a new truck. It's going to be a 2004 Tacoma, Single Cab, 4WD SR5. I'm looking to do a few things to it and I need any kind of advice that's available. I'm not really what you would call knowledgeable but I can grasp it.

The first thing I plan on doing will be putting a roll bar on it with, more than likely, cheap, off-brand flood lights on the top. Mainly because my reasons for this are more aesthetic than anything else although I'm sure I'll use them. My plan is to go to A1, a car salvage yard, and see if I can find a roll bar that will fit it. I don't know how good of an idea that is, but like I said, I just want it to look good, really.

At A1, I'm also going to be on the lookout for a sturdy bumper guard. This might be harder to come by but any help on this would be nice.

As far as long term modding, I'm thinking I want to go with a 3" Suspension lift combined with 6" body. Good idea? Bad idea? You guys are far more educated than me with this stuff.

Basically I'm a beginner that has SOMEWHAT of an idea but no real experience or expertise so any help would much appreciated. I want this truck to be my pride and joy!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
6shooter has a spectacular aura about6shooter has a spectacular aura about
6shooter's Tacoma Gallery
firstly, in my opinion-adding a rollbar for aesthetic reasons would have been something that you did when back to the future came out-but that's just me, and my opinion aside;
i doubt you'll be finding a tacoma roll bar or bumper guard in a junk yard at all, let alone in good condition. i could be wrong, but i just don't see it happening.

as far as you lift, i'm hoping you just accidentally swapped the words body and suspension..? a 6" suspension lift and 3" body lift is doable, but not the other way around. although, if you really did do a 6" body lift-PLEASE post pictures!

good luck.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
firefightermdc is just really nicefirefightermdc is just really nicefirefightermdc is just really nicefirefightermdc is just really nicefirefightermdc is just really nice

Firefighter:
firefightermdc's Tacoma Gallery
haha, i would love to see that..biggest i've seen is a homemade 4inch on a ford..looks horrible. anyways...i kinda think this whole post is a joke...i mean 6in body lift w/ a rollbar? i'm with 6shooter on the whole back to the future thing..put the 6in body lift, a helluva rollbar (chrome, three to four tubes) and a flux capacitor and you're set!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
any roll bar from 84 to 04 will fit, I say no to the body lift at most go 2 inch body lift and 3 inch suspension
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
I first fell in love with Toyta trucks when I saw the "Back to the Future" truck. I built my first Toy to look just like it. Installed a roll bar, push bar, lift, rims/tires, and even painted it black. I also bought my first truck when I was 15 in 1995...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Cunuckoma 98 - 425,000 Miles
Canuckoma is on a distinguished road
Canuckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my fix by installing a nice chrome rollbar in my 1998 Tacoma. Always wanted one, can't weight to see what it's like when I flip on the 6" Daylighters!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
seeing as how he hasnt been active since feb...i doubt he's gonna answer
Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
seeing as how he hasnt been active since feb...i doubt he's gonna answer
ahhh yes...didnt notice that. Thanks for enlightening me.

That makes the Canuk the ancient thread bumper....damn
Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
Chrome's for Harleys and old farts
ChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enoughChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enough

Name: Chris
ChrisYoTaCoMa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
SnareAce, your description says you have a PreRunner 4x4. Since those two are contradictory, which one do you have, PreRunner or 4x4?

LOL... I just noticed that too.....
Old 11-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Nice old thread.

Anyway, my only contribution is that people please start referring to it as a "show bar" or "light bar" rather roll bar as it'll do nothing in the event of a rollover. Roll bars provide safety. The thin-wall tubing used on the show bars will provide no protection.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
SnareAce, your description says you have a PreRunner 4x4. Since those two are contradictory, which one do you have, PreRunner or 4x4?
Thread title also says modding a new toyota. It's 2009, 2004 isn't new, maybe new to OP but not new new. How bout modding my new 1st gen?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
ChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enoughChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enough

Mine is a 2000 prerunner 4x4 SR5 2.7 V6 Automatic 5 speed TRD Limited Base Extended regular cab AWD with the submarine option so I can go offroading underwater....
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #16
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisYoTaCoMa View Post
No matter what they are called, they suck!
Semantics that could lead to safety issues. True roll bars are functional and necessary in many cases. I don't want someone to search through old threads, find this one, get the wrong idea, and end up injured or dead because he thought he was running a roll bar.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Semantics that could lead to safety issues. True roll bars are functional and necessary in many cases. I don't want someone to search through old threads, find this one, get the wrong idea, and end up injured or dead because he thought he was running a roll bar.
I know what you mean. A friend of mine got one for an old 4x4 mail jeep. He had it welded to the frame and all, but it was thin crappy tubing. i told him if he went wheeling, I was going in my Dakota back then, no way was I going in that death trap. i never liked those show bars.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Hahaha why is this thread still going....

The ancient thread bumper struck again, but it's essentially about nothing now because the original question is no longer moot. Funny
I just go with the flow....LOL.