Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma Frame Rust/Toyota unethical practices?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Memoriesvideo is on a distinguished road
Memoriesvideo's Tacoma Gallery
Taco

Just found my 98 Tacoma frame rails completely rotted and leaf spring mount completely shoved up into frame rail....Did not know anything of a rust issue and I am the original one owner bought new in 98...called Toyota, they told me of a 15 year warranty/buyback program- GREAT...then oops, your truck is 40 days out of warranty, so sorry..... I NEVER GOT A LETTER FROM TOYOTA!... I filed case number with corporate, they told me they didn't mail letters to any owners in NC because they don't feel it is a "cold weather" state, We just got 13 inches snow last week in Maggy Valley!..roads are salted heavily in the winter here!.... I am appealing with executive's currently who work for Mr. Lentz and am optimistic that they will honor the warranty..... However, it is OBVIOUS that they had financial incentive for NOT mailing letters to owners in NC....
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma Frame Rust/Toyota unethical practices?-1998frame_failure.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm... thats shitty. They dont send letters to non "cold weather" states. Do they understand the concept of MOUNTAINS?

I caution you against getting too agitated and blast them in open forum until you give Toyota a chance at redemption. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
sink the teeth in, tell them you want a 2013 for the buy back of the one you have. they will cave eventually. they allways do.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
REPOSTING ORIGINAL>>>>>Just found my 98 Tacoma frame rails completely rotted and leaf spring mount completely shoved up into frame rail....Did not know anything of a rust issue and I am the original one owner bought new in 98...called Toyota, they told me of a 15 year warranty/buyback program- GREAT...then oops, your truck is 40 days out of warranty, so sorry..... I NEVER GOT A LETTER FROM TOYOTA!... I filed case number with corporate, they told me they didn't mail letters to any owners in NC because they don't feel it is a "cold weather" state, We just got 13 inches snow last week in Maggy Valley!..roads are salted heavily in the winter here!.... I am appealing with executive's currently who work for Mr. Lentz and am optimistic that they will honor the warranty..... However, it is OBVIOUS that they had financial incentive for NOT mailing letters to owners in NC....
Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memoriesvideo View Post
REPOSTING ORIGINAL>>>>>Just found my 98 Tacoma frame rails completely rotted and leaf spring mount completely shoved up into frame rail....Did not know anything of a rust issue and I am the original one owner bought new in 98...called Toyota, they told me of a 15 year warranty/buyback program- GREAT...then oops, your truck is 40 days out of warranty, so sorry..... I NEVER GOT A LETTER FROM TOYOTA!... I filed case number with corporate, they told me they didn't mail letters to any owners in NC because they don't feel it is a "cold weather" state, We just got 13 inches snow last week in Maggy Valley!..roads are salted heavily in the winter here!.... I am appealing with executive's currently who work for Mr. Lentz and am optimistic that they will honor the warranty..... However, it is OBVIOUS that they had financial incentive for NOT mailing letters to owners in NC....
Why was this removed from your original post?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
I just got an official answer from Toyota regarding the case/complaints.... they basically said "get lost and we will not help you"....40 days out of warranty and I had not gotten one letter alerting to the rust problem...I met another man last Thursday, one-owner of 98 Tacoma, he didn't get a letter either....After driving Toyota trucks since 1989, a lifetime of being a dedicated owner of their trucks, they just toss me away like yesterdays trash.........
Old 04-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunavut View Post
Why was this removed from your original post?

Didnt want to blast them in open forum untill I got an answer from them.....Now that I got their official answer, I can tell all
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry about your luck. Now you know what it's like to own a domestic vehicle. They don't get any sympathy when vehicles rust, especially from 98. It wasn't a warranty program, it was a generosity gesture for the people in cold weather climates. Iowa isn't considered a cold weather state to them, so I don't get my frame coated like the northeast states.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Peace Officer currently, US Army "Retired" as well
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
On the brighter side of things....had your truck been a ford, chevy, or a dodge....you would've needed aother truck about 8 years ago....FWIW.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
TacomaRustBucket is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
TacomaRustBucket's Tacoma Gallery
2000 Tacoma

I heard some banging coming from the rear and I looked under the truck and it looked just like the picture from the OP. I called Toyota and they said I'm 60 days past the 15 year extended warranty.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
No offence but your truck is nearly 20 years old. No manufacturer has warranty on a vehicle for that long.
Any other vehicle and you have nothing after 3 years.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:40 AM   #12
EdFlecko is on a distinguished road

Name: Ed
EdFlecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone155 View Post
sink the teeth in, tell them you want a 2013 for the buy back of the one you have. they will cave eventually. they allways do.
HA!...yeah good luck with that one, you'll need it. They'll probably spit out their coffee and damn near choke from laughter when you suggest that! Ed
Old 02-05-2015, 05:20 AM   #13
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how anyone can go that long without looking under their truck and it would appear you have been a member here for almost 2 years in which time there has been lots of talk about the rust issue. Certainly Toyota is being a major bitch about the frame rust issue, even their solution just covers it up to get them past the extended warrantee, they should have done a full recall as this is very much a safety issue especially for a truck. As owner you have to take some responsibility for the care and maintenance of your vehicle and even if you had all the work done by a mechanic, what the hell was he doing not telling you about the rust, it didn't just show up magicly one day. Personally I will be driving my 98 into the ground and won't be buying another Toyota and advise everyone I know to keep away from them.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #14
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magog45 View Post
Not sure how anyone can go that long without looking under their truck and it would appear you have been a member here for almost 2 years in which time there has been lots of talk about the rust issue. Certainly Toyota is being a major bitch about the frame rust issue, even their solution just covers it up to get them past the extended warrantee, they should have done a full recall as this is very much a safety issue especially for a truck. As owner you have to take some responsibility for the care and maintenance of your vehicle and even if you had all the work done by a mechanic, what the hell was he doing not telling you about the rust, it didn't just show up magicly one day. Personally I will be driving my 98 into the ground and won't be buying another Toyota and advise everyone I know to keep away from them.
I don't understand why there isn't a Rust megathread sticky in this forum. It's probably the most important issue regarding these trucks
Old 02-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Also, while my mind is on this, I wonder if it would be legally possible to get a class action suit against Dana? They're the ones that made the frame poorly. Toyota sued them but I don't think they made nearly enough money off of it (I found the number somewhere but can't recall it exactly). Even though I don't live in a northern state, the frame rust issue is the biggest downer about owning this truck and putting more money into it. I'd like to think that I could take the truck with me wherever I move, but that isn't the case. My warranty will be up in less than 2 years.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #16
NSDON is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
NSDON's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota only does what they have to when it comes to rust issues or any other issues for that matter.

Back in 1986, my 1984 Camry with 40,000KM's was one month over the 2 year rust warranty when I went back to them with rust issues in fender wells, hood, and trunk. They told me to get lost, even though this was my 3rd Toyota in a row bought new.

The frame issue is different, it is a liability issue so their lawyers told them it was cheaper to cover the rust under a warranty then risk a huge class action. Or worse, have a Toyota on TV after it collided head on with a school bus when a frame caved.

Just look at the free publicity they received from the gas pedal issue with both Toyota and Lexus? Just look at how they hide these issues and stonewall owners of Toyotas until they have free publicity caused by a safety issue. The fix and warranty came quickly when the publicity hit the fan, but not before.

Go to NHTSA with the expired 15 year frame issue, on the basis of no notification. Not sure if NHTSA was involved in the negotiations around the rusty frame or not, but if they were, they may have an interest in helping.

Don
Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #17
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
It wasn't a recall, it was a voluntary warranty extension So gov agencies won't care.
Toyota found a problem and did try to help fix it. Most auto manufacturers wouldn't care at all. My ranger's frame was rotten but Ford didn't care. No fixes, no nothing.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #18
NSDON is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
NSDON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
It wasn't a recall, it was a voluntary warranty extension So gov agencies won't care.
Toyota found a problem and did try to help fix it. Most auto manufacturers wouldn't care at all. My ranger's frame was rotten but Ford didn't care. No fixes, no nothing.
It may have been "voluntary", I'd call it "preemptive". It went on for many model years and hundreds of thousands of frames were replaced, it would have been a big class action otherwise.

GM are doing the same thing now with ignition switches. I am not familiar with the Ranger frame issue.

Don
Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #19
EdFlecko is on a distinguished road

Name: Ed
EdFlecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
Also, while my mind is on this, I wonder if it would be legally possible to get a class action suit against Dana? They're the ones that made the frame poorly. Toyota sued them but I don't think they made nearly enough money off of it (I found the number somewhere but can't recall it exactly). Even though I don't live in a northern state, the frame rust issue is the biggest downer about owning this truck and putting more money into it. I'd like to think that I could take the truck with me wherever I move, but that isn't the case. My warranty will be up in less than 2 years.
Of course it's possible. You can indict and sue a ham sandwich, but what do YOU gain? Answer - not a thing.

The only living organisms that benefit from "class-action" litigation are the "trial lawyers". Why do you think class-action suits take YEARS to go to trial, if ever. Answer...because lawyers are paid BY THE HOUR. Translation - they have no interest, whatsoever, in "solving" or "bringing someone to justice" expeditiously. In the end, the firms that handle class-action litigation typically charge 40-50% of the "award" and the leftover top-ramen money if split among the plaintiffs.

Remember, before you'll ever see "dime-one" from litigation, you have to be able to convince that you've been "damaged".

Ed
Old 02-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #20
68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlecko View Post
Of course it's possible. You can indict and sue a ham sandwich, but what do YOU gain? Answer - not a thing.

The only living organisms that benefit from "class-action" litigation are the "trial lawyers". Why do you think class-action suits take YEARS to go to trial, if ever. Answer...because lawyers are paid BY THE HOUR. Translation - they have no interest, whatsoever, in "solving" or "bringing someone to justice" expeditiously. In the end, the firms that handle class-action litigation typically charge 40-50% of the "award" and the leftover top-ramen money if split among the plaintiffs.

Remember, before you'll ever see "dime-one" from litigation, you have to be able to convince that you've been "damaged".

Ed
Exactly! I throw my class action law suit notices out because I dont wanna be a part of exactly what you just spelled out in your post.