1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New/used frame for '01 Taco - can anyone out there help save my Taco please?!?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cdnmtbkr, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Mar 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    cdnmtbkr

cdnmtbkr [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Kamloops, BC
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD 4x4 (US model)
    Deck-plate Mod, rear window latch pin replaced, Airaid MIT, Magnaflow Cat-Back (#15811)
    Hi everyone,

Got some bad news last week. My '01 (4x4, 3.4l V6, Ext. Cab, US-spec) is suffering badly from frame cancer. The rust is so bad that it's from the middle of the cab to the rear bumper. My mechanic/fabricator is saying that it's not worth re-welding at this time cuz:

a) rust is so bad that after sandblasting (which is what he intended to do first) would probably reduce the "steel" thickness to about 1/2!

b) rust is so dominant that it's inside the frame as well, coming off in layers, like pastry. Remaining steel is almost soft (can see it rebound almost when pushing against it by hand/finger). If it was re-weled, it would be like "welding paper".

I've searched these forums extensively and have been in contact with Toyota USA and Toyota Canada.

Toyota USA says: missed recall; didn't get notice because I'm not in the DMV (I'm the 4th owner of the truck, which was imported here to Canada back in '03 according to CARFAX) so there was no way to get notice to me re: the recall. I've owned it since May '11 and during the initial inspection, things looked fine (inspected here in Canada). Recall is over now in the US so no dice for me. SUX!

Toyota Canada says: we only deal with warranty issues for Canadian vehicles. The recall for Canadian vehicles ended in 2010. Only dealers deal with Canadian and US vehicles. Dealers can't do anything, cuz they don't have access to US VINs or info for my truck (which is sort of a lie as they were able to see my truck for recalls!?!??).

Long story short, in the end, I'm stuck in the middle holding the bag with a very, very rusty frame. My friend the fabricator is a good guy and mentioned how we are a disposable society. I totally agree with him. The cab and the box are in great shape. Yep, the engine and tranny have about 300,000km (about 190,000mi) on it but I love our Taco and despite having owned it for less than 2yrs (and buying it for $8500), I wanna chance to save it!

So...I'm asking for help from you guys/gals here on Tacomaworld. Do any of you know of a frame I can get that's reasonably priced and in good shape? I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask this but I thought I'd enlist the help of the Web community. I'm in Kamloops, BC so it would be great if the frame is relatively nearby....but I guess beggers can't be choosers. I did manage to find something from a wrecker in Bellingham, WA. He said it was jaw-dropping pricey. Something like $3000 to get it shipped from the southern US to Bellingham!!! :eek:

Any help would be great. I just want to save my Taco please! :)

Thanks in advance for your repsonses.

Products Discussed in

To Top