Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Where to route power wire?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Where to route power wire?

Bought a new powered sub and I need to know where I can route the 14 gauge power wire; I don't really want to drill a hole into my firewall.

Also, does anyone know if I can use the blue wire in the back of my pioneer headunit to turn on the sub when the radio turns on?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
jshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Josh
jshsltr's Tacoma Gallery
There should be a place to route through the firewall without having to drill any new holes. just look around for rubber plugs.

If the blue wire you are referring to is the power antenna signal wire then yes you should be able to use it to turn on the amp if it has the remote switch contact.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
What slatercat said. Not sure what the 1st gens look like but check the driver side firewall for where other wires are going into the cab from the engine compartment. On my truck there was a rubber boot like thing with the wires going through I just routed my power wire through there.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Why yes, I AM a rocket scientist.
Geosh is on a distinguished road

Geosh's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you use the blue remote turn on wire and not a "power antenna" wire. Some decks had both, and the antenna one shuts off when you change to CD or Aux modes.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
jshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
jshsltr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slatercat View Post
There should be a place to route through the firewall without having to drill any new holes. just look around for rubber plugs.

If the blue wire you are referring to is the power antenna signal wire then yes you should be able to use it to turn on the amp if it has the remote switch contact.

also if you pull a plug to rout the wire through the firewall, make a hole in the plug to route the wire through and replace the plug in the spot it was removed from. That way it decreases the chances of the power wire chafing and keeps your firewall sealed up.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #6

Air Force:
jshsltr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosh View Post
Make sure you use the blue remote turn on wire and not a "power antenna" wire. Some decks had both, and the antenna one shuts off when you change to CD or Aux modes.

Oh... good call.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatercat View Post

Thanks guys, 2nd gens might have "blanks" in the firewall but it looks like mine has ones that are being used. The boot in the firewall on the drivers side is really tight so I didn't think I could fit a 14 gauge wire through it.

And yep I'm talking about the power antenna wire.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
got 5VZFE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosh View Post
Poop

I don't think mine has the other wire.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Daily Driver "Plus"
smuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud of

Navy: 24 years Active Duty
Name: Frank
smuook's Tacoma Gallery
Poke a small hole slightly off center with a small sharp punch... don't slice. You will be able feed through and be water tight.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
I ran mine right by the brake booster in the engine bay.... and I used 4ga power wire so I know 14 will fit lol
Old 03-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Remember to make the slit small so that you have to actually push the wire tight through it or it will leak
Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
jkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jason
jkirkpatrick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
Thanks guys, 2nd gens might have "blanks" in the firewall but it looks like mine has ones that are being used. The boot in the firewall on the drivers side is really tight so I didn't think I could fit a 14 gauge wire through it.

I put my 4 gauge power wire through that side, so your 14 gauge will fit no problem!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
got 5VZFE?

Gee thanks Afro! Thats where I was thinking about running it, and that is some freakin big wiring!
Also I think I am in luck with the remote turn on! I just pulled my head unit to check that wire in the back, turns out it is blue with a white stripe and the tape on it says "system remote control"

Now I just gotta wait for my RCA adapter to get here so I can wire this sucker up.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Formally afroman5015

Quote:
Gee thanks Afro! Thats where I was thinking about running it, and that is some freakin big wiring!
Also I think I am in luck with the remote turn on! I just pulled my head unit to check that wire in the back, turns out it is blue with a white stripe and the tape on it says "system remote control"

Now I just gotta wait for my RCA adapter to get here so I can wire this sucker up.
No problem man
Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I fit a 2 gauge power cable through that grommet.

Gotta just show it who's boss.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
got 5VZFE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I fit a 2 gauge power cable through that grommet.

Gotta just show it who's boss.
That is a huge a** wire!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
got 5VZFE?

I got the wire through there, now It's just a matter of patience for my RCA adapter from Crutchfield to get here; I am so ready to hook this bad boy up to my radio.

Crappy iPhone pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Where to route power wire?-img_1494-1-.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got the wire through there, now It's just a matter of patience for my RCA adapter from Crutchfield to get here; I am so ready to hook this bad boy up to my radio.

Crappy iPhone pic:
It should be really well sealed up as is, but I threw some silicone adhesive around the cable at the grommet, on both sides of the firewall.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:00 AM   #19
Formally afroman5015

Quote:
That is a huge a** wire!
Depends on what he's got it hooked to.. My old amp had 16ga power wire hahahaha my new amps have 4ga, difference between knowing your stuff and learning