Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help with buying new shocks for my tacoma

Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
kevinl34 is on a distinguished road
kevinl34's Tacoma Gallery
Help with buying new shocks for my tacoma

I purchased a 2001 dbl cab tacoma with 170xxx miles on it. The ride seems to be a little rough from the rear end. I dont know if the seller had them replaced but it doesnt feel like it to me. My question is Im looking at the bilstein 5100 for the front and 5125 for the rear package. I have and dont plan to put a lift on my truck and I like the current height of the shocks thats on it just not the ride. I also heard something about leveling off the truck with these shocks being that some people said the the rear would be a little higher than the frt. I not for sure about this but I would like for some to chime in on the matter. Im looking for a smoother ride I dont tow a lot nor do I plan on doing so but I dont want to look like a monster truck driver either. Also what about replacing with the oem shocks? thx
Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100 series shocks are a good upgrade over stock. They should serve you well.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
kevinl34 is on a distinguished road
kevinl34's Tacoma Gallery
the leveling off is a big question and the adjustment setting also....
Old 03-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
you don't want the OEM shocks regardless of future lift plans. Toyota bilsteins aren't anywhere near the 5100's and Tockico (spelling?) sucks balls even worse
Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinl34 View Post
I purchased a 2001 dbl cab tacoma with 170xxx miles on it. The ride seems to be a little rough from the rear end. I dont know if the seller had them replaced but it doesnt feel like it to me. My question is Im looking at the bilstein 5100 for the front and 5125 for the rear package. I have and dont plan to put a lift on my truck and I like the current height of the shocks thats on it just not the ride. I also heard something about leveling off the truck with these shocks being that some people said the the rear would be a little higher than the frt. I not for sure about this but I would like for some to chime in on the matter. Im looking for a smoother ride I dont tow a lot nor do I plan on doing so but I dont want to look like a monster truck driver either. Also what about replacing with the oem shocks? thx
Tacoma's (like most trucks) have a factory "rake" meaning the rear is higher than the front, on our trucks, by about 1''.

The front 5100's are adjustable. So if you like the stock ride height, but want to level the truck, you can adjust the 5100's to the first position above stock height and the truck will be level. The rear 5100's will be fine for a stock rear end.

And food for thought: If you want a smooth ride, a shock like OME will probably be better. The 5100's have a firmer valving and can be sorta stiff on the road.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
The Rake that TacoMX described is for load leveling purposes... meaning when you have your bed filled with stuff, your truck will not look like it is up towards the sky. Any rake around 1-2 inches is fine.
People that go for levelness - waste of time and money.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasYOTA View Post
The Rake that TacoMX described is for load leveling purposes... meaning when you have your bed filled with stuff, your truck will not look like it is up towards the sky. Any rake around 1-2 inches is fine.
People that go for levelness - waste of time and money.
why is it a waste of time and money? If someone wants the look of a "level" truck, then its not a waste for them.

Plus, who actually hauls enough weight in their bed to compress the suspension? Some people do haul a lot in their tacomas, but these people know how their suspension needs to be setup to handle it. Most people who have a truck will never put more than some tools and some misc. shit in their bed.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
why is it a waste of time and money? If someone wants the look of a "level" truck, then its not a waste for them.

Plus, who actually hauls enough weight in their bed to compress the suspension? Some people do haul a lot in their tacomas, but these people know how their suspension needs to be setup to handle it. Most people who have a truck will never put more than some tools and some misc. shit in their bed.
I must agree. I don't think anyone bought a tacoma with the intention of hauling large loads or towing more than a boat or small trailer. I like a level truck with actually a bit of bro lean (don't hate ) but just a bit.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post

why i have 2'' rake...lol
Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #11

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post

why i have 2'' rake...lol

Well when you have 300lbs of lights in your bed you will need some rake to compensate
Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
So, can someone give a good thread summation?

I need to replace my shocks some time and I don't want to lift it.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBusGaming View Post
So, can someone give a good thread summation?

I need to replace my shocks some time and I don't want to lift it.
Bottom line is:

The 5100's are a good upgrade over OEM shocks, and regardless of setting, are a good investment.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Bottom line is:

The 5100's are a good upgrade over OEM shocks, and regardless of setting, are a good investment.
All the way around?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from walker evans.