Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bump stops?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
bump stops?

Does anyone make taller/softer bump stops for factory lcas? I know wheelers makes some nice ones for second gens.... wonder if those would work?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

check my build monte... and yeah i cant find any????
Old 03-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
What do you expect to gain from that ?
Limit up travel ? for why ? (<-- edit for fubar)

why would you want to limit the front suspension's travel...
when it is already lacking in that

I'd lose those Top Load spacers instead.

Those are a poor choice for pre-loading the suspension
and fubar the upper/lower control arm geometry.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
pavement is boring....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
What do you expect to gain from that ?
Limit down travel ? for why ?

why would you want to limit the front suspension's travel...
when it is already lacking in that

I'd lose those Top Load spacers instead.

Those are a poor choice for pre-loading the suspension
and fubar the upper/lower control arm geometry.
limit down travel? what r u smokin over there chief? lol.... bumps limit up travel so my tires don't try to eat my fenders....

and my top plate spacers dont preload the suspension at all, they are ON TOP of the shock mount, so all they do is give me extra lift.
and my alignment/geometry is perfect
Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
The factory bump stops are actually different sizes between the front and rear. One is larger than the other, so there's no cookie cutter bump stop you'll be able to use out of the box.

The threads on the bump bolts are actually considerably long, and there is room to stuff a spacer in between. We actually have to extend the bump stops using spacers with LT kits.

That said...in the aftermarket world:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-p-25912.html

These are slightly larger than factory...but the are flexier than factory as well.
Also the thread pitch is different (SAE vs metric) so you'll have to run a tap through your existing threads and a dab of Locktite. At a minimum you'll have to add a washer to one of them so the bump at the same time.

Now all that said...I think you just need a bigger hammer and actually cut your fenders some. It's a complete waste to limit uptravel like that when you just need to do a little trimming.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
pavement is boring....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
The factory bump stops are actually different sizes between the front and rear. One is larger than the other, so there's no cookie cutter bump stop you'll be able to use out of the box.

The threads on the bump bolts are actually considerably long, and there is room to stuff a spacer in between. We actually have to extend the bump stops using spacers with LT kits.

That said...in the aftermarket world:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-p-25912.html

These are slightly larger than factory...but the are flexier than factory as well.
Also the thread pitch is different (SAE vs metric) so you'll have to run a tap through your existing threads and a dab of Locktite. At a minimum you'll have to add a washer to one of them so the bump at the same time.

Now all that said...I think you just need a bigger hammer and actually cut your fenders some. It's a complete waste to limit uptravel like that when you just need to do a little trimming.
appreciate the info^ its hard to explain, but its not an issue of trimming. they tuck just fine, but if rollin through some whoops and turned slightly my whole top of the tire is gonna take out the liner.... i was about a 1/4 inch from the liner.... but ok spacers is a good idea, ill come up with something. hard to explain, these tires tuck wayyyyy up there
Old 03-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
limit down travel? what r u smokin over there chief? lol.... bumps limit up travel so my tires don't try to eat my fenders....

and my top plate spacers dont preload the suspension at all, they are ON TOP of the shock mount, so all they do is give me extra lift.
and my alignment/geometry is perfect
I meant up travel
not thinking too clear as of late.
should stop before I make a bigger mess

yeah top load spacer don't pre-load the coil spring
^ ~was thinking while typing, that coil spring pre-load would be better
so I typed without reloading muh brain~

But top spacers will change the suspension's geometry.
Being on top of the coil effectively makes the CO longer then OEM.
This can change the plane that both UCA/LCA share.

Extended length CO's also share a longer length...
but is not the same deal...
droop length is extended... but overall compression remains oem.
Not the same thing as a CO with a spacer stacked on top.

doesn't mean you can't align it to specification

Quote:
yeah that ^
Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
pavement is boring....

Quote:
I meant up travel
not thinking too clear as of late.
should stop before I make a bigger mess

yeah top load spacer don't pre-load the coil spring
^ ~was thinking while typing, that coil spring pre-load would be better
so I typed without reloading muh brain~

doesn't mean you can't align it to specifications...
but it may not stay within spec during full suspension travel.
possibly even create some minor bump steer (U may not notice)
its all good brotha, i figured u had to be reading it wrong... but what's ur point with the alignment staying while compressed? no suspension will stay the same as it cycles
Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
appreciate the info^ its hard to explain, but its not an issue of trimming. they tuck just fine, but if rollin through some whoops and turned slightly my whole top of the tire is gonna take out the liner.... i was about a 1/4 inch from the liner.... but ok spacers is a good idea, ill come up with something. hard to explain, these tires tuck wayyyyy up there
You do realize you're talking to someone that put holes in his core support to get more uptravel. I think your definition of "wayyyyy up there" and mine might be a little different.
Seriously, cut the liners. It's just plastic, and it's free, and you don't lose anything from it. Can't say the same about your current plan of extended bump stops.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
pavement is boring....

Quote:
You do realize you're talking to someone that put holes in his core support to get more uptravel. I think your definition of "wayyyyy up there" and mine might be a little different.
Seriously, cut the liners. It's just plastic, and it's free, and you don't lose anything from it. Can't say the same about your current plan of extended bump stops.
yeah but u have glass fenders id have to remove the fender liners completely. then that allows all the shit the tire throws to be thrown into the fender. ill figure it out. i would of liked to have some soft bumps like the wheelers for second gens
Old 03-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
pavement is boring....

for reference....
Attached Thumbnails
bump stops?-photo0154.jpg   bump stops?-photo0155.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
The Mad Scientist

Quote:

doesn't mean you can't align it to specification
but it may not stay within spec during full suspension travel.
possibly even create some minor bump steer (U may not notice)
Ummm...no. Shock positioning does not cause bump steer. The little 10mm top plate spacers are nothing. The upper and lower mounts are identical, as is the UCA and LCA mounts, as is the tie rod mounts and all the geometry. As you said, It just moves the coilover assembly down. Which in this case will cause the shock to bottom out sooner but can also allow it to droop out farther if the BJ allows. The additional droop can be of concern for bump steer, but with the little 10mm spacer, that's less than the extended travel coilovers. The upper/lower positioning with respect to the spindle is what dictates the plane of travel, not the shock.

Quote:
its all good brotha, i figured u had to be reading it wrong... but what's ur point with the alignment staying while compressed? no suspension will stay the same as it cycles
Read above.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
yeah but u have glass fenders id have to remove the fender liners completely. then that allows all the shit the tire throws to be thrown into the fender. ill figure it out. i would of liked to have some soft bumps like the wheelers for second gens
I had fenderliners at one point too...they've since been removed. It's not as big a deal as you think.
Seriously, let the tires bump the plastics. If they come off they come off, it's not going to hurt anything.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
pavement is boring....

Quote:
I had fenderliners at one point too...they've since been removed. It's not as big a deal as you think.
Seriously, let the tires bump the plastics. If they come off they come off, it's not going to hurt anything.
i understand they r just plastic man, but id rather not have rocks and snow get thrown into places it shouldn't be. I'm pretty sure the liner block my headlights, those r expensive! I'm keeping the liners.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #17
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
i understand they r just plastic man, but id rather not have rocks and snow get thrown into places it shouldn't be. I'm pretty sure the liner block my headlights, those r expensive! I'm keeping the liners.
I'm just trying to set your mind at ease about it.
I go through the same sand, salt, snow, mud, grime and shit you do, and have been for years.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
pavement is boring....

i hear ya... just to each his own i guess.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I go through the same sand, salt, snow, mud, grime and shit you do, and have been for years.
I'm also running no liners.

And Jace the liners will just flex. They bend. I wouldn't limit your up travel just to save the inner liners. And if they do fall out.

Do this

Just go buy some thin like 1/16 or thinner sheet of abs or any plastic. Then make your own liner that only attaches to the inner part. Then it'll rest on the lip of the outer fender and if the tire hits. It'll just move up..then back down. Here is a reference.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...ud-blocks.html
Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
heh...heh...heh... I didn't hear water on that one.