LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need advice on suspension, and clutch choices.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Floggin is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
Floggin's Tacoma Gallery
Need advice on suspension, and clutch choices.

I've read through quite a lot of threads and have seen a lot of different opinions on these two subjects. First off I drive a 99 tacoma 2.7 4wd. Should start off with what would you all recommend as far as suspension? I would love to achieve the "lean" look of bigger lift in front compared to the rear. What would I need in order to achieve this? I'm open for suggestions.

Second, the clutch. Currently my petal pretty much doesn't engage until it's at the top (clutch petal almost fully released). So I'm not sure what direction to go. I don't want something crazy expensive, but i'd like to have something a bit better than factory.

I sound like a noobie, because I still am so bare with me haha.

Here is a picture of my taco currently.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on suspension, and clutch choices.-172827_500533445823_3205534_o.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
cmj has a brilliant futurecmj has a brilliant futurecmj has a brilliant futurecmj has a brilliant futurecmj has a brilliant futurecmj has a brilliant futurecmj has a brilliant futurecmj has a brilliant futurecmj has a brilliant futurecmj has a brilliant futurecmj has a brilliant future
Name: Chris
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my clutch with similar symptoms. It was not slipping, but engaged late. I ended up putting in a Sachs model, because they were easy to get from my local parts store, and I know they are good quality (OE in BMWs). I found that the clutch disc had quite a bit of life left in it, even after 170k miles. The pedal engages a little bit earlier now, and it no longer squeaks when I depress the pedal.

I probably could have gotten another 40-50k out of it, but I drive a lot and its worth knowing that its done right and will not have to be touched for many years.

Suspension, you can get some OME springs for $160. Eibach springs are very popular also. Just do a search.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm

If your shocks are done, I highly recommend the bilstein models available. I have used their dampers on a few of my vehicles and they are very well designed, and offer a very consistent and predictable feel. I've never noticed any cavitation at high speeds, and the fronts have adjustable perches which allows you to change the ride height a bit.

Rear springs - do a search. An add-a-leaf kit will give you a little lift, but if your original pack is flat, the AAL won't last very long. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/...ch-kit-1200-lb
Old 04-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Floggin is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
Floggin's Tacoma Gallery
The help is much appreciated. I'm considering purchasing the bilstein 5100's for my truck. I'm for sure going to get the marlin crawler clutch that Tomtom posted. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Billy's are probably your best bet, my thinking would be: replace all four shocks, the front two coils, and don't touch the leaves unless your ride is terrible. Should lean pretty nice with the fronts set to 1.75