1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 won't start

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BonesD, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Apr 1, 2013 at 2:43 AM
    BonesD

BonesD [OP] Member

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre runner 167,000miles
    I know I might find the answer somewher but don't have time to do a thorough serch and will be going to try and fix this problem where I have no PC to help me.
    My daughters 99 pre runner failed to start last night. She said it had made a strange noise when she last started it and went out for the evening. Smart right? Anyway old dad had to make a midnight "help me my truck won't start run" last night. The battery had good voltage (12.5 volts) and was dropping about 1 volt under load from the ignition. The lights are bright and did not dim noticably when trying to start. No click no nothing when trying to crank. I did see that the positive battery cable was probably repaired at one time and the clamp is one of those kind that the wires clamp down with two small bolts. I checked for tightness on this and one of them was quite loose. I loosend both and then retightented to see if I could get some fresh wire conectivity. That is when the whole lead clamp almost broke in half. The main positive wire was not under any strain (not too short) but the smaller wire that goes down into the bottom of the fuse pannel under the hood was stretched just to get it to the clamp that I had just broken. I suspect this may be the problem. I know the clamp has to be replaced and will do that first and try to replace the too short wire. I looked for the starter but did not find it in normal (chevy style location). Is it inside the bell housing?
    Anything you can think of to arm me with before I try to go and fix this critter this morning would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bones
    165,000 miles, v6, auto, 2 wheel drive.
    The started has been replaced some time ago.

2. Apr 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I'd replace the entire positive cable assembly with OEM (from the dealer). Pricey but worth it (remember this your daughter we're talking about). Don't jury-rig something like the last guy did.

3. Apr 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Gear selector is in "P" right?

4. Apr 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    BonesD

BonesD [OP] Member

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    Good advice tan, I did just put on another cheapo clamp to see if it would get it going but no dice. I imagine it is the starter. Unfortunately she lives about 40 miles from me and it is parked in her apartment parking lot and they don't let folks repair their vehichle' on site. I had it towed to a local shop who just called and sure enough it is the starter so I will get them to replace that cable as well. There goes that big screen TV I wanted, again.
    Thanks,
    Bones

5. Apr 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    For future ref, you need to teach her the ol' maglite trick..(just one of many reasons why everyone should do the "maglite" mod). In case you are unfamiliar....when your starter sticks like this....climb under truck and whack it with the maglite a couple times then attempt to start. Works even better if you have a friend turn truck over while you smack it.

6. Apr 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    BonesD

BonesD [OP] Member

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    Beleive me I am familiar with that old trick.If I could have reached it with a hammer or anything else I would have done it. Park, neutral, checked the overide switch next to the shifter. Nada

Products Discussed in

To Top