Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A340F performance rebuild?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
hokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
A340F performance rebuild?

My auto trans in my truck let go at 199,987 miles. I am not sure what to do. I have a supercharger I am thinking about installing but I may decide not to depending on much of a project I want to make this. I know about Marlin and Level Ten and their service and kits. Are there any other big opportunities to do something awesome while I repair or replace the tranny besides this? I may just rebuild it like stock, but in case I need to replace it are there some A340F that are more desirable or different?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
check the toyota specific manual for the a340F, it will show variations
(number of clutch plates used in the brakes and some other minor stuff)
between 3 models. The 4runner uses the least, the land cruiser uses the most.
(if I recall correctly)

so, rebuild it stock, but follow the land cruiser specifications (or beefiest specs),
and it will be the same tranny, just stronger than original due to more clutches
Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
hokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! Excellent info. I never would have known. Rep +1 to you good sir.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
I have some auto trans parts for sale. Especially a valve body if you wanted to do the level ten or IPT upgrade without sending in your current one.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #6

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster View Post
I have some auto trans parts for sale. Especially a valve body if you wanted to do the level ten or IPT upgrade without sending in your current one.
New or used? Is it the Level Ten one? I'm interested.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
OK found the manuals...

there are three stock builds for the 340F

TACOMA, 4RUNNER

PREVIA, TOYOTA T100, LAND CRUISER
-----
one of these packs is not like the other
there is a lot more, but I can't paste it all up

Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #8

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. I'm not rebuilding it myself. It's at Scotts Valley Transmission, they said they include upgraded valve bodies and springs and build it stronger with every rebuild. I mentioned the cruiser style rebuild they said their builder would look into it once they have it taken apart.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Screw the auto trans! there are tons of write ups on the internet that document the entire Manual transmission swap. Find an R150F and put it in with a couple friends in a weekend or two. You'll save a shit ton of money, your truck will be faster and more fun to drive, and the manual trans can better stand the abuse from the super charger. Sucks that you dropped it off at a shop already dude, but if they haven't started yet i'd go pick it up and go 5-speed all the way. Throw in a performance clutch and quick shifter and be done with it.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
03taco88 is on a distinguished road
03taco88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
Screw the auto trans! there are tons of write ups on the internet that document the entire Manual transmission swap. Find an R150F and put it in with a couple friends in a weekend or two. You'll save a shit ton of money, your truck will be faster and more fun to drive, and the manual trans can better stand the abuse from the super charger. Sucks that you dropped it off at a shop already dude, but if they haven't started yet i'd go pick it up and go 5-speed all the way. Throw in a performance clutch and quick shifter and be done with it.
X2 if my auto ever goes out I will most definitely do a 5 speed swap
Old 04-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiruu View Post
New or used? Is it the Level Ten one? I'm interested.
used stock out of an 02.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #12

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
I have considered that route since I bought the truck and there was once a time I would have probably done that. However:

- I really don't have the time for that right now.
- I just moved 70 miles from the closest friend who could help me with that.
- The Tacoma is my DD and I just need it back on the road.
- Contrary to what I always thought, I actually find the auto to be convenient for most of my use.
- I don't want to turn the Tacoma into more of a project car than it already is. I already have my Evo for that.
- Even with a manual transmission and supercharger, the Tacoma is always going to feel slow to me. I already have an Evo for going fast.
- I think most people would be less inclined to buy a "auto converted to manual" vehicle if it ever came to that.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
As long as you considered it.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Is just regular tranny changes the only thing to do to these to keep them goin? I'm gettin worried about mine
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Just do a fluid flush about every 35k & it'll probably be problem free, thats the info I've gotten, I'm running a used trans now since mine took a huge dump, so far after about 30k no problems
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 AM   #16
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Just do a fluid flush about every 35k & it'll probably be problem free, thats the info I've gotten, I'm running a used trans now since mine took a huge dump, so far after about 30k no problems
Okay cool. Is that the only automatic tranny that's in tacomas?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard1992 View Post
Okay cool. Is that the only automatic tranny that's in tacomas?
No, theres a A340E also , pretty sure its for 2wd & poss. AWD
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
I think I read somewhere that 4/6 cyl a340f's are different?

I dunno I want a 5spd swap..
Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #19
MoonCrawler is on a distinguished road

MoonCrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiruu View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm not rebuilding it myself. It's at Scotts Valley Transmission, they said they include upgraded valve bodies and springs and build it stronger with every rebuild. I mentioned the cruiser style rebuild they said their builder would look into it once they have it taken apart.
Hey, what did they say once they got it apart? Did they attempt the Land Cruiser rebuild? Are you happy with the rebuild overall?

I'm up in Oakland and am looking for a worthwhile rebuild for my A340F or a cheap used one to take a chance on. Scotts Valley isn't THAT far, but maybe.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #20
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Rebuilt or used , take your time on the valve body wether you or a trans shop is doing the overhaul . The valve body is the key to a lasting transmission rebuild .
If a transmission shop is overhauling the trans , find out what failed and what they did to the valve body to prevent it from happening again . You should here the words Sonnax and recalibration kit popping up from the shop thats doing the overhaul .
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...smissions.html